GPU for P170EM(x)

therealovy77

Hello. My name is Ovidiu and I am from Romania.

I have an P170EM with a broken dGPU, and I'm a little low on budget for a replacement card. I read a lot of posts, but I cannot find an answer at two questions:

- do you know if it is a version of BIOS which can be used to run normally the notebook (no beep and shutdown) without the dGPU inserted in it?

- does this notebook support (as a compatible version of BIOS or vBIOS) any of these:

5870m: 6-71-W870L-D02?

GTX 765m: 6-71(or 77?)-P15SL-D01A?

MSI  GTX 570m: MS-1W051 ver 1.0?

Thank you.

5870m.jpg

765m.jpg

GTX570m.jpg

Edited by therealovy77

All 3 cards will allow you to use the system with at least the iGPU with no beep/shutdown problems. Specifics on each card are below:

The 570m will definitely work 100% correctly.

The 5870m may have issues when attempting to use it for games / 3d programs, but on the other hand it might not.

The 765m will not render unless Prema sends you a special system BIOS mod.

Edited by Khenglish

AMD cards only work if they are Clevo cards. I am not aware of Clevo ever making workstation AMD cards and I suspect that this card is pulled from a Dell Precision laptop. If that is the case then no, it will not work. You will get the beeping and shutdown after around a minute.

Frustratingly the card would run 100% fine up until the laptop turns itself off.

It sounds like you are not interested in the performance of the dGPU and just want the laptop to run. There is a hidden option in the BIOS to disable the dGPU. I have never tried it, but it is possible that it may also disable the dGPU temperature check and you could just run without a dGPU. I can try it in a few days if you are interested.

Edited by Khenglish

Yes, for now I want just to run the notebook for daily light use,  not for gaming. This will last until I will sell my current notebook and after that I will buy a good card.

Disable dGPU in BIOS means in Clevo standard BIOS or the Prema Mod BIOS?

Thank you for your help.

I flashed Prema BIOS P170EM_17_12_PM v2, and I didn't saw any hidden option in the BIOS to disable the dGPU (and the annoying LED flashes  + beeps + shutdown). If I am right, and it is not possible, it will stay a couple of months, until I get some money for a good card.

Thank you very much.

P.S. I read a lot of posts and I didn't find a list of ALL supported GPU-s on this BIOS (P170EM_17_12_PM v2). If someone is more agile like me, please give me that list.

I have another offer of GTX 285m, I don't know what manufacturer is, and I have to wait until Monday for better pictures.

Will it go straight on with Prema BIOS (I will flash the card too, with a Clevo vBIOS if it is necessarily)?

Thank you.

gtx 285m.jpg

Edited by therealovy77

I just tried the mod. Unfortunately it does nothing. The dGPU is still on.

The fact that you actually made it through a BIOS flash gave me an idea though. The MESET.exe included within the bios update may prevent the system shutdown due to no dGPU.

Run MESET.exe in DOS, then after the reboot see if the system stays on. The fans will be running full speed, but at least the laptop may be usable.

If you want to use only iGPU then you can just pop in any compatible MXM 3.x card with the vBIOS chip removed (de-soldered) in order to feed the EC a thermal signal and prevent an emergency shutdown.
The card can be broken as long as the thermal sensor still works it's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 9/11/2016 at 10:15 PM, Khenglish said:

All 3 cards will allow you to use the system with at least the iGPU with no beep/shutdown problems. Specifics on each card are below:

The 570m will definitely work 100% correctly.

The 5870m may have issues when attempting to use it for games / 3d programs, but on the other hand it might not.

The 765m will not render unless Prema sends you a special system BIOS mod.

VERY VERY late response, but you @Khenglishseem to know your shit about GPU compatibility. Would you happen to know if I can get an MSI GTX 570m to work in a Clevo P771DM-G? For now I just have the beep issue. I'm fine with flashing a custom BIOS to my P771 or a custom vBIOS to the GTX 570m. I was planning on flashing a Clevo GTX 670m vBIOS onto it, but I don't know if that would even do anything.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/147213/147213