2015 15" MBP R9 M370x + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10/OSX10.12

Trying to get my RX470 running with the new 2016 late 13" macbook. Sadly i am facing error code 12 and the dsdt-override does not help. Anyone here who can help me to fix that  It is running perfectly under Mac Os even vm-gaming is stable and smooth...

Hi @hdblockx! Which version of the AMD Crimson drivers are you running? Newer versions should not require any changes and not give you error 12.

Make sure you boot into Windows with an external display connected and the external display set to the output/input to the eGPU, not the Macbook itself. You should hear the fan speed up for half a second indicating that it accelerated correctly.

Used the newest version (on sunday). I think it is because of the 2016 late macbook... When i boot to mac os it works perfectly but when i boot to windows it doesn't show up loading-circle below the windows-icon. Then it does not boot. But if i plug in the egpu right after the loading circle appears then i boots but with error code 12...

Do you mean that after booting into Windows with the eGPU connected from the start, it hangs on the loading circle? When you move your mouse, does the pointer show up on the screen? This usually indicates problems with the AMD drviers (I had this in the past with the dGPU as well). Try to completely remove all AMD drivers and reinstall, that used to fix it for me.

Do you mean that after booting into Windows with the eGPU connected from the start, it hangs on the loading circle?

Yes

When you move your mouse, does the pointer show up on the screen?

No

I reinstalled the drivers several times... (and different versions)  This also happens without any driver installed... :(

Interesting to hear that the 2016 macbooks behave differently than mine. Do you have a dGPU in your MacBook? What are the exact specs? I have never successfully got the eGPU working with my dGPU disabled using a special EFI Utillity. In other words, I have never got a combination of Intel Iris with an AMD eGPU to work because of this error 12. I suspect that the AMD drivers take care of the memory allocation issues to make their dGPU work in combination with the Intel Iris chips.

You could try the DSDT override in this guide: https://e g p u.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/#post-5

Edited by FricoRico
Stupid censorship

tried it, didnt fix it. But i think the "PNP0A08/PNP0A03 'DWordMemory' resource entries. Under the last DWordMemory entry in that area,"  is the wrong one for the new macbook... I do not have a dGPU it is just 13", the i5 version with touchbar and 16gb ram. I think i have to take a deeper look to dsdt-overriding somehow it will fix it :D but then it is going to be just awesome, mac os and windows stable. Till then i have to play in parallels desktop :( atleast it is working...

It sucks to hear that you are still experience problems in getting your eGPU working. Don't give up! I have dabbled many days with getting my eGPU setup to work in the beginning. You might try asking someone with more experience in these problems. Sadly the person that knows a lot about this has been banned from this forum. Try the forum that I linked before in this thread for the error 12 solution.

Your benchmarks are invalid, try selecting the extreme preset as you are probably bottlenecking the Thunderbolt connection instead of the GPU itself. At low GPU loads the Thunderbolt will be the bottleneck due to loading textures and meshes into memory of the GPU that simply can't be done any faster. I ran the benchmark using the same settings as you did and noticed only little improvement whilst using an RX480 over a RX470.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 21.40.22.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 21.40.36.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 21.40.00.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 21.39.41.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-07 at 21.40.13.png

Edited by FricoRico

1 minute ago, FricoRico said:

You are right! The Nitro RX470 is quite surprising! :-) Hopefully you can enjoy the eGPU in Windows soon

Thank you! I guess i just wait for someone to find a solution. I cannot spend a lot of time in it the next 2 weeks but after christmas i am going to test way more!

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 15″ MBPr with GT 750m discrete graphics running Mac OS 10.12.4. I had a successful eGPU build with a GTX 750ti; however, rendering benefits weren’t substantially better in numerous Mac OS apps. Is it possible to enable a RX 460 through eGPU? I was able to get the automate.sh to recognize the RX 460, but after reboot into Mac OS, no RX 460 eGPU. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated!