I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

Well… you need enough 6-Pin PCIe plugs for the GPU and some free wires for the barrel plug. Do the math ;)

If you want to close the AKiTiO case, you will need to buy or modify the 6-Pin adapters to get very flat and angled ones, like this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=%28PCIe%2C+PCI-E%29+power+low+profile+90+degree&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%28PCIe%2C+PCI-E%29+low+profile+90+degree.TRS0&_nkw=%28PCIe%2C+PCI-E%29+low+profile+90+degree&_sacat=0

970 is performance wise the sweetspot for an eGPU, imho. A 960 would be easier to handle regarding power, heat, noise, cooling.

Would the 970 be the only reason I would need to get 90-degree 6 pins? I will probably just return my 960 and upgrade to a 970.

I'm looking to hook up my Macbook Pro (2015) with a Nvidia GTX 970 using the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box. But I have never done anything techy with hardware beyond cleaning my fan. I tried reading through threads and the pre-purchase FAQ but some information seemed outdated, not relevant or I just didn't understand. I'm wanting to use the external GPU for gaming via bootcamp (win10).

What do I need to purchase other than the Thunderbox, Graphics Card & Thunderbolt cable? (Source of power?)

Is this easy enough to set up? (And will I run into problems with my dGPU [GT 750m] or running windows 10 [Need to use an external monitor?])

How efficient will it be compared to the same build on a Desktop? (Hoping for at-minimum better than a Nvidia GTX 760)

Are there any alterations you'd make to my plan to make it easier/more cost effective/efficient?

Would you recommend me getting a crappy graphics card to test before trying out the GTX 970?

Thank-you for any help!

Edit: I have not yet bought the new GTX 980.

Hi , i have a Dell latitude e6320 my friend is giving me a AMD R7 260X for free i wanted to find out if it would work with this PE4C V3.0 (PCIe x16 adapter) and if it doesnt what should i use , my laptop is on the compatibility list for the actual adapter (very bottom of the page {table 3} ) PE4C V3.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter) its just that i havent a clue if it would work with this graphics card i was thinking off using the expresscard rather than the pci slot on the motherboard as that is taken by the wifi card which i want to keep but if that has to go it will :D

any tips or advices very welcome :D

"adapter" http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html

laptop specs: (upgraded to 6gb ram) Dell Latitude E6320 - 13.3" - Core i5 2520M - Windows 7 Pro - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD Overview - CNET

/specs/

similar laptop model working

https://youtu.be/wxTXmNqGOfs

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi all,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french and I have a rMBP 13" 2015 (256 SSD - 8 ram - Iris) and I wanna try to do an eGpu.

But i don't know what I have to buy...

So imo i have to buy an AKiTiO Thunder2 and i want a Nvidia GTX 750Ti from MSI.

Is it all i have to buy ?

Thanks for u'r help.

I'm looking to hook up my Macbook Pro (2015) with a Nvidia GTX 970 using the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box. But I have never done anything techy with hardware beyond cleaning my fan. I tried reading through threads and the pre-purchase FAQ but some information seemed outdated, not relevant or I just didn't understand. I'm wanting to use the external GPU for gaming via bootcamp (win10).

What do I need to purchase other than the Thunderbox, Graphics Card & Thunderbolt cable? (Source of power?)

Is this easy enough to set up? (And will I run into problems with my dGPU [GT 750m] or running windows 10 [Need to use an external monitor?])

How efficient will it be compared to the same build on a Desktop? (Hoping for at-minimum better than a Nvidia GTX 760)

Are there any alterations you'd make to my plan to make it easier/more cost effective/efficient?

Would you recommend me getting a crappy graphics card to test before trying out the GTX 970?

Thank-you for any help!

Edit: I have not yet bought the new GTX 980.

Read through the last few pages. I just asked for all of that info. I am bulding my eGPU this wednesday. I will post results and probably make a youtube video.

Hi all,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french and I have a rMBP 13" 2015 (256 SSD - 8 ram - Iris) and I wanna try to do an eGpu.

But i don't know what I have to buy...

So imo i have to buy an AKiTiO Thunder2 and i want a Nvidia GTX 750Ti from MSI.

Is it all i have to buy ?

Thanks for u'r help.

You'll at least need a power supply as well, either a desktop PSU or Dell DA-2. You will need to be prepared to make modifications to the plugs and case so be sure that's within your skill set. If it's not there are some pre-made kits for sale if you search the right places.

Check out Dschijn's buying guide for a very detailed description of what you will need to consider: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

You'll at least need a power supply as well, either a desktop PSU or Dell DA-2. You will need to be prepared to make modifications to the plugs and case so be sure that's within your skill set. If it's not there are some pre-made kits for sale if you search the right places.

Check out Dschijn's buying guide for a very detailed description of what you will need to consider: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

Yeah thank u man, dunno what is better to use ? A desktop PSU or Dell DA-2 ? Have u got feebacks ?

Yeah thank u man, dunno what is better to use ? A desktop PSU or Dell DA-2 ? Have u got feebacks ?

I know that Dschijn's guide was saying it depends on the card, but since the DA-2 is unique it has been getting great feedback from GTX 970 users, so long as you hook it up correctly.

@hato1:

You can see some benchmarks of my eGPU compared to my desktop system here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8571-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

You will need the AKiTiO Thunder2, a GPU, a power supply and some cables. Please read my basic guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

With you MacBook you will only be able to use the eGPU power on an external monitor! That will work in OSX (Yosemite and El Capitan are working great), Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

With an external monitor an eGPUs efficiency is between 75-95% which depends on the game and the bandwidth it needs. Some games run worse than on a desktop, some as good as on the desktop PC.

Most cost efficient is any eGPU with a Dell DA-2, AKiTiO Thunder2 and GPU GTX 950, 960 or 970. Bigger cards will need bigger PSUs and might need PC cases to store them in.

@THOMASRAJA:

Please read the basic guide I linked to hato1. Which MSI card do you want to use? The red one with two fans might be too big!

You basically need a AKiTiO Thunder2, power supply (120W should be fine with 12V or a Dell DA-2) and the GPU. You will also need to make a barrel plug if you use a power supply that doesn't have the plug to connect to the Thunder2.

@hato1:

You can see some benchmarks of my eGPU compared to my desktop system here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8571-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

You will need the AKiTiO Thunder2, a GPU, a power supply and some cables. Please read my basic guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

With you MacBook you will only be able to use the eGPU power on an external monitor! That will work in OSX (Yosemite and El Capitan are working great), Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

With an external monitor an eGPUs efficiency is between 75-95% which depends on the game and the bandwidth it needs. Some games run worse than on a desktop, some as good as on the desktop PC.

Most cost efficient is any eGPU with a Dell DA-2, AKiTiO Thunder2 and GPU GTX 950, 960 or 970. Bigger cards will need bigger PSUs and might need PC cases to store them in.

@THOMASRAJA:

Please read the basic guide I linked to hato1. Which MSI card do you want to use? The red one with two fans might be too big!

You basically need a AKiTiO Thunder2, power supply (120W should be fine with 12V or a Dell DA-2) and the GPU. You will also need to make a barrel plug if you use a power supply that doesn't have the plug to connect to the Thunder2.

I thought windows 10 was still broken?

AFAIK only Optimus doesn't run in W10…

So that would mean I would need an external?

I was reading through your guide that you just linked(amazing build BTW) and I was just wondering I know I will need some 90-degree 6 pin PCIe cables, but as long as I remove the fan case from the Zotac GTX 970 and I have the DA-2(with a 2014 macbook pro) everything should fit into the Akitio thunder right?

You will also have to remove the front fan from the case and improve ventilation! Also keep in mind to make the barrel plug and combine it with the DA-2 as well.

So the front fan case from the Akitio? And will that be enough ventiliation. Yes, I plan on making that barrell plug. So should I have to remove anything from the actual Akitio case, because on your guide it says you are using a riser and different things that I know I am not using(since you used an actual desktop case to house all your equipment.)

That depends on the guide you are referring to… In my first 2 guides yes, I used a riser to have the freedom of using desktop PC PSUs and long beefy cards.

In my 3rd build I broke it all down to fit into the AKiTiO: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9821-2014-15-mbp-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn-2%5D.html#post131966

You will have to make holes on the side of the case to get fresh air into the system!

Awesome, do you think someone could link me to one of the kits?

And just to clarify, I need a Thunderbox, A graphics card, a Dell DA-2 and a plug modification kit. That will be enough to get this all working?

And does the fact that my computer already has a dedicated GPU change anything?

That depends on the guide you are referring to… In my first 2 guides yes, I used a riser to have the freedom of using desktop PC PSUs and long beefy cards.

In my 3rd build I broke it all down to fit into the AKiTiO: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9821-2014-15-mbp-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn-2%5D.html#post131966

You will have to make holes on the side of the case to get fresh air into the system!

What did you use to cut the metal? I do not think I will need to replace my GPU fans, but I will see when I hook it all up. I am also having some trouble finding some 90-degree 6 pin PCIe cables in the US.

Very new here, and I have some questions me and my friend have been debating.

I have a mac book air and it has served me well for general purposes. However, I fell on a promising article/post about eGPU's.

I have seen some posts here and there and decided to try it out, but because of my lack of knowledge I want to see what people think.

Since I have a mac air I could use the thunderbolt, but I am guessing its a first version. So a akitio thunder2 with a gtx 970 and a power source of some kind for the graphics card. Really my mac air is not strong to start out with so that's where me and my friend are debating if this can even work. The debate is if the graphics card will be of any use considering cpu and whatnot which I really do not understand.

Thanks in advance

@hato1: What is a Thunderbox? Best to use the AKiTiO Thunder2. And there are no kits :(

@RobRauff: I used a Dremel. 90° cables are here: (PCIe, PCI-E) low profile 90 degree | eBay

@wertry: A MacBook Air only has a dual core CPU, which can't be enough in modern games. The MacBook Air also only has Thunderbolt1. I don'T think that a GTX970 would be a good card for your setup. Don't buy sth better than a GTX960 or make sure if you buy sth better that you will get a better Mac later as well :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.