I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

Sorry but I really need help: I've bought a t530 with igpu only, i5-3360 and pe4c 3.0 , so what video card should I buy to play using optimus feature over internal display? I would spend about 170$ for that, thanks.

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

2 hours ago, aldimeola81 said:

Sorry but I really need help: I've bought a t530 with igpu only, i5-3360 and pe4c 3.0 , so what video card should I buy to play using optimus feature over internal display? I would spend about 170$ for that, thanks.

For accelerated internal LCD mode (Optimus) you'll need whichever NVidia card you can get for $170. Eg: GTX670/760. Just ensure the maximum TDP is below your PSU's output.  For instance, if you have a Dell DA-2 PSU, it's rated at 220W. That will limit you to say a GX680/GTX760/GTX960.

Also note that Optimus is broken with Win10. Requires 7 or Win8.1 to work properly: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8918-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem/

For accelerated internal LCD mode (Optimus) you'll need whichever NVidia card you can get for $170. Eg: GTX670/760. Just ensure the maximum TDP is below your PSU's output.  For instance, if you have a Dell DA-2 PSU, it's rated at 220W. That will limit you to say a GX680/GTX760/GTX960.

Also note that Optimus is broken with Win10. Requires 7 or Win8.1 to work properly: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8918-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem/

The PSU isn't a problem, i can use a xbox 360 or a standard atx , i work as technician.. so any nvidia card I can buy will work for nvidia optimus?I've read about some driver version only.. I'll use 7 or 8 windows if win 10 is unsupported..

Have I made a good choice buying a t530 without internal nvidia or will be more difficulty? I've read bad stories about tolud and 4gb memory.. Last thing Intel rate the i5-3360 CPU as pciexpress 3.0… so I'll go at 3.0 or not? Sorry but i don't want to spend 1000$ for a not working system. Thank you very much!! I'm reading everything about egpu from a week and I'm a bit confused

I have an MBP 2011, i7 2.0, with both a Radeon 6490M and Intel HD 3000, . It has only TB1, so the bandwith is limited to 10GBits (1,25mbytesec), while PCI Express 2.0 x1 has 500Mbytes, - so TB1  would be theoretically still fast enough.

1. How can I see which GPU suits my needs, which one is too fast (and wasted money)? Somebody said a GTX960 would be the maximum, that is reasonable.

2. Is it all wasted money, because my system from 2011 is outdated?

3. Is it possible to daisy chain my adapted monitors (matrox dualhead2go) in the 2nd TB port on the akitio? My MBP has no other monitor output than the tb1...

4. is it possible to use the egpu internal monitor in OS X , or is it only possible for windows in my special case?

5. is the equation right: FCPX= radeon; Premiere=nvidia, because of the different support of CUDA and OpenCL?

Gaming is not so important to me, but editing and after effects.

I wish you all a nice 2016!

• Brian locked, unlocked and pinned this topic
  • Founder

@Dschijn whatever belonged in your guide were moved there. If there were any recent posts that belong here moved into your guide, just let me know and I can put them back here. I had to guess which were yours after a certain point as our backup didnt cover the latest replies. 

Hello everyone,

Thank you for this great community, really helpful informations here and i'm glad to join you here today.

I'm planing to start my eGPU setup soon for my  Macbook Pro late 2011 but before that i want to make sure that it's going to help me with what i need it for

My questions are :

1- can i use the egpu for adobe  and rendering applications like Octane - without the need for external screen on mac osx El Capitan ( i don't use windows )?

2- i'm really limited with my money - does Nvidia GTX750 2gb - good enough for this tasks ? would i see big change using this card with the setup or should i just invest in a better card ?
3- if  i should i invest in a better graphic card what do you recommend ( - something affordable  )

Thank you in advance for the help.

I have an old laptop hp dv4 with the following specs:

• Intel core i5-2410M 2.3GHZ
  • 8GB of ram DDR3
  • wifi card on the miniPCIe port (will replace it with the eGPU adapter)

I have a eVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI FTW Edition which I am not using as my desktop "gaming" pc broke.

I was wondering if it is worth the cost using a eGPU solution for my laptop? how will be performance with these specs.

and what adapter is most suited for my specs? PE4C, PE4H, PE4L (I have no idea what's the different between them) or the EXP GDC v8??

Edited by yeahman45

Some body can help i want to know if i can install an egpu in my  laptop.

Dell Inspiron 15-5542 Specifications

Operating System
Windows 8.1
Processor
4 th Generation Intel Core i5 ULV
3MB Cache L3
Chipset
Integrated in Processor
Display
15.6‑inch
1366 x 768 pixels (HD)
0 to 135 degrees operating angle
Touchscreen 
Graphics Card
Intel HD Graphics 4400
DDR3 graphics memory (discrete)
Storage
SATA 6 Gbps, 2.5-inch HDD
 1 TB
System Memory
Two SODIMM slots, dual channel DDR3L 1600 MHz
2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, or 8 GB
Inputs & Controls
Multi-gesture touchpad with left click and right click areas 
Standard keyboard with numeric keypad
Input/Output Ports
Left
1 x USB 2.0
1 x power‑adapter
Right
1 x RJ-45 LAN
1 x HDMI
2 x USB 3.0
1 x headset
Slots
5-in-1 memory card reader (MS Pro, MS, SDHC, SD 3.0, SD)
Communication
Wi‑Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac
10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Bluetooth 4.0
Miracast (Windows 8.1)
Intel WiDi (optional)

I didnt find the  BUS , my laptop have this WLAN card.  

Also i want to know the TOLUD

and if some one can tell me if i am wright to put an egpu

bus.jpg

may be this one is the best??? 

PE4L-PM060A 
(PCIe Adapter) x1PE4L-PM060A_1S.jpg

Edited by HolyDeathX3
add info

On 1/20/2016 at 11:26 PM, yeahman45 said:

I have an old laptop hp dv4 with the following specs:

• Intel core i5-2410M 2.3GHZ
  • 8GB of ram DDR3
  • wifi card on the miniPCIe port (will replace it with the eGPU adapter)

I have a eVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI FTW Edition which I am not using as my desktop "gaming" pc broke.

I was wondering if it is worth the cost using a eGPU solution for my laptop? how will be performance with these specs.

and what adapter is most suited for my specs? PE4C, PE4H, PE4L (I have no idea what's the different between them) or the EXP GDC v8??

Find attached photo of my wifi card inserted in my mPCIe slot.. I don't know if my mPCIe slot is compatible for eGpu?? how to find out??

20160117_104154 (Large).jpg

20160117_104446 (Large).jpg

Good day experts! :D

I'm currently in a dilemma if I should go with a dell da-2(used) or a PSU(corsair cx430w modular(bnew). There's only around 5-10 dollar difference in total cost(shipping. etc.) with these 2 items. So which one should i pick? And also which one will be more stable?

planned set-up:

-macbook pro retina 13inch 2015

-akitio thunder2 pcie box

-evga gtx 960 2gb itx (single fan version(would probably fit perfectly with akitio box)

-Pre-made cables from ebay (Akitio eGPU 8 PIN TO 2 x PCI-E 6 PIN super low profile no latch & 1 x BARRELhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/261932428549?_mwBanner=1) I also got this cable (4pin molex to barrel plug 12vhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTRON-CHD04-12BARREL2-5-MOLEX-4-PIN-TO-12V-BARREL-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-USA-MADE-/261920944843?hash=item3cfbb472cb:g:ZG0AAOSwZd1VdevF) if I'll just gonna use the cables from the psu.

question again- is my set up gonna be alright? Or do I need to change some of the parts?

thanks in advance! :D

You should be totally fine with the DA-2 since you already ordered the cable.

Imho the Corsair would be much more stable, but your GPU will not bring both PSUs into critical power issues. The DA-2 will habe the big advantage that have an external and fanless PSU. With the Corsair you would make it harder for you to be able to close the case.

23 hours ago, Dschijn said:

You should be totally fine with the DA-2 since you already ordered the cable.

Imho the Corsair would be much more stable, but your GPU will not bring both PSUs into critical power issues. The DA-2 will habe the big advantage that have an external and fanless PSU. With the Corsair you would make it harder for you to be able to close the case.

I went with the psu instead of dell da-2(didnt find a seller with reasonable shipping cost, too expensive for a used item). Just bought a evga 750w g2 psu got it for a very good deal.

Can i still use this cable(http://m.ebay.com/itm/261932428549?_mwBanner=1so that i can close the case or do i need to use the cables that comes with the psu plus this cable( http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTRON-CHD04-12BARREL2-5-MOLEX-4-PIN-TO-12V-BARREL-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-USA-MADE-/261920944843?hash=item3cfbb472cb:g:ZG0AAOSwZd1VdevFto power up the akitio box and gpu? Would love to close the case without moddifying it but if i got no choice i could still live with moddifying it like benchallenger's/phantron's awesome egpu set-up

thanks! :)

You can't use that special cable without soldering! Because the pinout of that plug and the desktop PSU is different!

You would need this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-6-Pin-90-degree-right-power-extension-w-low-low-profile-Made-In-USA-/261101313641

That barrel plug you linked seems fine, but I am always recommending to use a least 2x Molex -> barrel.

@Dschijn so the special cable plug wont fit properly with the psu plug? Or different wiring? As far as i know the special cable got 8 pin and the psu cable got 6+2 pcie pin? 

also about the 2x molex to barrel plug. Why use 2x molex? What will be the difference comparing to using only 1molex to barrel plug?

The 8-Pin of the Dell DA-2 has it's own pinout!

Dell DA-2 8-Pin is not the same as ATX PSU 6+2-Pin PCIe.

2x Molex will spread the load across that two plugs and not torture a single Molex with up to 90W.

Thanks! :D now i know

the more i go into the project the more im getting confused xD

also if i go with using the psu. Would it be okay if i just connect 1x 6+2pin pcie cable to power gpu(from psu to gpu (leave the extra 2 pin hanging) then 1x 4 pin molex cable+ 1x 4pin molex to barrel plug to power the akitio box(from psu to akitio)

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, and if I am not I apologize, 

I have a Lenovo T430( I5 3320m, 8gb, intel hd 4000 only no nvidia dgpu, express 2.0)

I'm trying to figure out the most compatible setup for an EGPU while using the internal screen, which I understand is possible using an Nvidia graphics card with optimus

the card I have narrowed it down to is the EVGA branded 750ti ( I would like to play BF4 not necessarily on high but above 30-40fps average)

my questions are, 

What is the best adapter for my particular situation using the expresscard option?

if using the PE4C or another adapter that could use the  220 8 pin power unit would it be enough for the 750ti?

and finally, is there any suggestions for protecting the exposed card without buying a large case?

ideally I would want to be able to safely be able to put it into a bag to take it to work with me when needed!

thank you for any advice, I once again apologize if I posted in the wrong area!

Edited by bbrin12b

Well hello, and thanks for having me and all that. I wondered if anyone might get their kicks out of GPU recommendations? Reason being I haven't looked at the discrete GPU market for donkey's  years, being a pure laptop user for a long time now; and also I'm pretty sure my setup will have a severe bottleneck at the expresscard slot, so I'm curious what spec of gpu is worth getting, before I stop seeing cost-efficient gains.

My plan is: Use my old Lenovo T420 with i5 2520M and HD 3000 graphics (no Optimus for me!), with EXP GDC Beast v8 (just ordered it from ebay; expected delivery Feb/Mar!? Blimey). First test will be with a REALLY old Radeon X550HM card and 250W PSU I've got laying around. Then I'll buy myself a sexy new GPU (and PSU if needed).

I've found it impossible to say for sure whether my T420 supports expresscard Gen2 or not. But the evidence is slightly leaning towards only Gen1 support. If that's true (anyone know??), what's a good balance of cost and performance for a GPU for this system? What cards are good but just old enough to be getting cheap just now? That kind of thing. Suggestions to get me started much appreciated!

Hi Nando,

Can setup 1.30 fix whitelist issues using EXP GDC? I'm using a Lenovo Z580 with Phoenix 5FCN91WW BIOS, and all other solutions seem involve modding the BIOS and that made me wonder whether setup 1.30 simply adds an entry in the whitelist or completely disables the checks or maybe something unrelated to the BIOS. The system DOES halt boot-up and ask me to remove the unauthorized card. Thanks for all the help!

Hello, so I am thinking of building an EGPU for a mid 2014 13 inch macbook pro, I love my mac but it can't handle certain demanding games which I like to play such as Arma 3. 

My mac currently has windows 8.1 installed and its graphics card is Intel Iris.

This is a list of what I think i'll need:

1) Akitio Thunder2 PCIe box

2) EVGA GTX 960 4GB MINI

3) Thunderbolt 2 cable

4) 500W power supply

Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something? Also will I be able to use my internal monitor as I only have Intel graphics on the Mac?

Thanks in advance for any replies! 

Edited by Atom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.