I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

Hi, guys. I am would like to built an eGPU setup for my laptop but I have several questions. I have got an Asus X555LB with Broadwell Intel i7 5500U with internal Intel HD Graphics 5500 and an external GeForce 940M, 8GB of RAM. I am considering connecting GTX 960 to it and have already got an external monitor and a power supply for 450 watts. The laptop doesn't have the express card slot, so I am going to use mini pci-e slot. To make it easy for you guys to answer the questions I am going to list them.

1. The bandwidth. Is there any way to check what bandwidth of the mini pci-e slot? And what bandwidth is recommended for GTX 9 Series graphics card to use?

2. Will the CPU be the bottleneck of the system if I successfully connect GTX 960?

3. Adapters. I am still wondering what adapters should I buy. I am considering buying one of these: (https://www.yorcom.nl/artikel/RISERC034/riser-card-usb30-extention-pci-e-1x-naar-16x-50cm-kabel.html )or (https://www.yorcom.nl/artikel/RISERC018/riser-card-extention-kabel-pci-e-1x-naar-16x-molex-24cm.html). However, most of the people I have seen are using big docks such as these (http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html). What's the difference between them? Since I have already got the supply power with all the necessary cables to supply the card, are the simple mini PCI-E to PCI-E x16 adapters will work?

4. Software. Do I need to use some kind of the software to set-up the rig? Or is it about proper connecting all the parts and that's it? Also, what should I do with the external GPU if I want to use GTX960?

These questions might seem stupid, and I am sorry for creating a thread without having made an extensive research but I hope you guys will be able to answer them or at least show me which threads on this forum have relevant information. Cheers.

Hi guys, need a hand please!

I've got a Latitude E5530 with an ExpressCard slot and i'd really like to setup an eGPU for game developing and obviously gaming.

I was thinking about getting an RX470 (or 460) with 4GB, but i need a hand to understand if the setup will work, because i couldn't find too much helpful for my laptop even on this forum.
So, do you think that this setup would work? Here in details:

- Radeon RX470

https://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/radeon-rx-series/radeon-rx-470

- PE4LEC060A

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L V2.1.html

- PSU, was thinking about a Dell 220Watt or Xbox PSU as show in this guide:

https://www.tomrei.com/2015/01/egpu-project/

And, my laptop's specs:

Intel i5 3320M, 2.60 Ghz

16GB DDR3 SDRAM , 1600Mhz

Samsung EVO PRO SSD

Could you help in realizing this project? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I bought GDC beast V. 8.0 and now I m trying to get suitable graphics card. Most of all I would like to purchase the GTX 1050 ti and get it running with no need to buy PSU. But would it get power just from being putted in GDC beast? There are models without a 6 pin connector. So those would need a dell AC adapter?

You always need a PSU, no matter what O.o Where do you think the power would come from if there was no PSU in some way?

You can buy a GTX 1050 Ti without additional 6 pin and power it with a Dell DA-2, yes, but the Dell DA-2 is still a PSU. You just wouldn't need additional cables. Plug the DA-2 into the EXP GDC and the card would be powered by the slot.

Ok thanks, I just thought that notebook could "somehow" give power to the GDC beast - silly idea. I ve checked prices of DA -2 adapter and they are quite high, so I m thinking of buying GTX 1050 TI with some lets say 400W PSU but dont know how the cables should be arranged. Only some should go into GDC beast and that´s it?

Hi I have Dell inspiron n5010 with I7-740QM and ati 5650 HD, windows 7. The graphics chip (5650 HD) is dying - already had reflowed it. I guess it will work a week at maximum. So I bought GDC BEAST V.8.0 and hope to get it running when I manage to get GTX 1050 TI and some 400W PSU. My question is would it work (at all?) and after the 5650 HD chip dies completely? Would it boot just the egpu with no need for 5650 HD to be active? P.S. There is no other integrated graphics chip.

Hope the post gets to the right part of the forum

Many thanks for your opinions and advice

have a nice day

Lukas

Oh and would I need to buy the Nando´s setup 1.3?

I've had the install script + eGPU previously working on a Mac Mini but am looking to buy a Macbook Pro with dedicated graphics, will it work ok on that or does it need to be a system that only has integrated graphics?

Edited by pixxelpusher

Hello, I'm just wondering if I can get an eGPU working with my Dell Latitude e5510 through the express card port.

Here's the external build I'm considering for now:

GTX 760 2GB
PE4C-EC060A V3.0 - eGPU PCIe x16 interface for ExCard x1 connecter
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 220-G2-0550-Y1 80+ GOLD 550W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

And it looks like my express card port is 1.1, not that it matters.

What I'm really wondering about is if I'll be able to get past this 4+ gb of ram problem with TOLUD since I have 8 gb of ram. Is there any way I can make sure it will work on my system? I've read about it quite a bit and the whole Dell Latitude eXXXX series' problems but I just want to be sure as I don't completely understand how I can fix this and have it work.

Checking your TOLUD and creating a 'large memory' area are answered in:

2. How can I check if my notebook is compatible with an eGPU?  ->  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6275-pre-purchase-faq/

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/

Anyone able to help me with my question above? Will the install script work with a Macbook Pro with dedicated graphics? And can I indeed run a eGPU on that type of system? It's not very clear if this is possible or not.

Edited by pixxelpusher

OK so i was thinking if adding a EGPU to my Lenovo Yoga 500 would it work ? Since im not very good at computers i dont really know. i would love if someone answered to my question thanks in advance

And if you can what would be the best one i only want something simple what i can easily connect not anything complex or maybe not a eGPU somehting else what can speed up my laptop

Edited by Zaw

So I noticed my thread got merged here. And I've also noticed that hardly anyone ever gets responded to in this thread. Please help me out, am I gonna be able to hook up my Dell e5510 with an eGPU or no?

I have a T430 with i7 3720qm. I am considering an eGPU with PE4C 3.0 and Dell MK394 220V. I already have an ultrawide monitor with Freesync. But I don't know what GPU to choose RX480 or GTX1060, people recommend the gtx, but NVidia's ongoing issues about drivers make me hesitate, and as I said, I already have a Freesync monitor. What is your recommendation? Thanks beforehand.

I travel for work a lot. Sometimes I take my xbox with me but would like to make a exgpu to game in hotel rooms.

so i was thinking the akitio with a gtx1060 and bootcamp on mid 2012 macbook 15 retina.

Is it stable and will it work perfectly on internal display?

Now im reading how its not that stable and may not be worth the hastle. 

Should i go for it?

Hi Forum peeps. been reading and researching for a while now, but thought well why not ask the community considering I need a bit of inside help.

Laptop - Clevo P375SM/Sager NP9390

Graphics Card = Nvidia GTX 780M

RAM - 24 gig

CPU - i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz

My laptop has hit a point where the graphics card is starting to not perform with what I'm trying todo (games, work on a 34inch 2k monitor). I'm looking to upgrade, considering the laptop is fine in other aspects. Was considering buying a whole new desktop. but I thought well I can buy the powersupply and Graphics card now, make a eGpu system and later down the track eventually swap over to desktop computer. 

Just looking for help - What card I can get, what equipment etc and the best way to go about this. Was looking at getting the Mpcie (remove the wireless card) and do it that way?. 

Much appreciated. 

Hey People!

Just looking for a little advice for upgrading my Lenovo Yoga 900.

I want to set up a eGPU so that I can game on it. I was wondering if it was possible to do this without opening it up. 

Externally it has: 2 USB 3.0 ports, A combined AC/USB 2.0 port and a USB Type-C port.

I have not ruled out the idea of opening it up but would like to exhaust all other options first.

Either way if anyone has any recommendations for what equipment or graphics cards to get it would be really.

If anyone has set up the Lenovo Yoga with an eGPU I would very much like to know what you did and how it worked out for you.

Any input much appreciated. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.