I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

Hey guys,

I know this has been beaten to death and I've done countless hours of reading back and forth, but am still a bit puzzled. I've built a PC and have always been on PC, but recently switched over to Mac for a new personal project and learning.

I purchased a 2015 rMBP with the dGPU (AMD R9 m370x) and am quite disappointed with the performance on casual games (plus the heat is not fun to deal with). I have never built an eGPU and didn't even know it was possible until a few weeks ago and now I'd like to pursue this project. For reference, here's my old PC build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/9fwV3C#comments

Now, for my eGPU build, these are the parts that I'm looking to set it up with. 

-Akitio Thunderbolt2 

-ASUS GTX970 Mini ITX OR Gigabyte GTX970 Mini ITX (Not sure which one to use yet) I'd like to use these as I can place it in the case without having to leave it on the table naked.

-PSU. Not sure if a Dell DA2 - 220w would be sufficient, but I'd like it because of the portability of not lugging around an entire PSU when I travel. Not opposed to it if necessary. 

Now my entire problem with this set up is that I'm not familiar with modding or adapters needed for the PSU portion of it. I'm okay with building a PC, but it's the modding of the electrical part that has prevented me from just purchasing all of these parts and continuing. 

I'd really like to create a thread with a lot of photos on the build itself, in return, I'm just asking for a bit of help to do it :).

Another question, I know with this part below, it would allow the barrel plug to be plugged into the Akitio using an atx PSU. Is the paperclip method still required for using this part?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-molex-to-12v-5-5mm-x-2-5mm-DC-barrel-plug-AKiTiO-Thunder-PSU-adapter-/252426809063?

Thanks for the assistance ahead of time. I will be sure to create another thread once this is done!

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm new here so be friendly"

Hello there!

I have recently just discovered eGPUs. I'm quite new to this knowledge. I just want to make sure before I set it up and buy all the items I need that there will be less problems and that it is practical. I haven't seen any post on my laptop so I just want someone else's opinion on this and if it becomes successful, I could upload it here. My setup:

Laptop: ASUS S56C 15.6inch

CPU: Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9GHz

GPU: Geforce GT 635M 2GB *Note: GPU damaged (or so I think), caused BSODs. When I forced it to stop working, no BSODs anymore. Irreplaceable and soldered, as well as CPU. Now using Intel HD Graphics 4000.

RAM: 8GB

Windows 8.1 64 bit

No express card slot or thunderbolt. Only mPCIe slot, used for WiFi. 

I was thinking of buying the EXP GDC BEAST mPCIe connection adapter to connect with a GTX 750ti, because I have a 720p monitor that's currently not being used so resolution does not really matter to me. Smooth gameplay (no lags, high fps) is important to me. Since my GPU is damaged and irreplaceable, why not build an external GPU instead cos it sounds good in my head. The reason why I want to build an eGPU is because I want to be able to play games on my laptop, and I don't want to buy a PC because I need something portable for college, able to play games (at home) and I don't have a budget to buy a new PC unless I sell this laptop. I was wondering if I could still be able to build this setup, and if I will have any problems in the future. Without the equipments right now, I'm not really sure what the problems I will face in the future so this is what this post is about. Maybe you could give me advice on my setup, a different adapter or GPU could be used or a PSU that can go with this setup? Thanks a lot for reading this and I hope I will get positive responses!

Hey all, just reaching out in need of some help regarding my future eGPU setup.

I currently have a Toshiba Tecra r850 PT520A laptop with a Expresscard slot, which brought me upon the idea to build a eGPU setup to speed up my video editing process and smoothness. 

PC specs

CPU-core i5vpro 2520m dual core @2.5ghz

discrete gpu-AMD radeon hd 7400m graphics 1gbOS- Windows 10 64bit
RAM- 12gb

PCI-e adapter i have bought is the EXP GDC Beast V.8 with input for the expresscard slot on my toshiba

The graphics card i plan to buy is the Sapphire r7 370 4gb card.

Just wondering if this will even work, i have read something about DSDT and TOLUD but i dont get it, not very tech savvy.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

On 29/06/2016 at 3:52 PM, slaqoneonefour said:

I was thinking of buying the EXP GDC BEAST mPCIe connection adapter to connect with a GTX 750ti, because I have a 720p monitor that's currently not being used so resolution does not really matter to me. Smooth gameplay (no lags, high fps) is important to me. Since my GPU is damaged and irreplaceable, why not build an external GPU instead cos it sounds good in my head. The reason why I want to build an eGPU is because I want to be able to play games on my laptop, and I don't want to buy a PC because I need something portable for college, able to play games (at home) and I don't have a budget to buy a new PC unless I sell this laptop. I was wondering if I could still be able to build this setup, and if I will have any problems in the future. Without the equipments right now, I'm not really sure what the problems I will face in the future so this is what this post is about. Maybe you could give me advice on my setup, a different adapter or GPU could be used or a PSU that can go with this setup? Thanks a lot for reading this and I hope I will get positive responses!

As far as I'm aware, the EXP GDC beast can have trouble running at PCI-e 2.0 speeds due to the mini hdmi cable quality. If you are limited to PCI-e 1.0 speeds, you may experience stuttering or micro lags due to the restricted bandwith  (depending on what game you play).

In terms of problems you will face in the future, it could be any of the ones in this forum (error 12, card not detected, etc) :P in device manager

Any GPU and PSU will work, not really any different to making the same decision for a desktop.

I use a 660Ti and a small form factor PSU (Corsair SF600) to reduce space but it is quite expensive.

Edited by utopian201

Just looking for some expert opinions on whether or not this setup will work or not.

I have ordered the EXP GDC BEAST V.8 ExpressCard version from Banggood.com, and am currently torn between the R7 370 4gb card from sapphire for 215AUD and the GTX 950 2gb card from ASUS for 210AUD. The price is fine for both is all good but i'm jsut wondering which would be better for video editing and/or gaming.

PC specs

Dual core i5vpro 2520m @2.5Ghz boost to @3.2Ghz

12GB ddr3 ram @1333Mhz  

240gb kingston ssd

Radeon HD 7400m 1gb discrete graphics. (Can't switch between intel hd 3000 iGPU which come with the cpu and the HD 7400)

QM67 express intel chipset

• My laptop has an ExpressCard slot
  • I can't find a way to switch between Intel hd graphics and Radeon discrete graphics(hd graphics dont even show up in device manager)

Thanks alot in advance guys.

Ps. if you guys could help me find my tolud that would be great aswell.

TOLUD screenshot.PNG

Edited by Dutchbread

I've bought a 12V * 12.5A = 150W DC power adapter for my beast.

Now I would like to use it with a GTX 1060 whits drawls max 120W.

Can I use the 150W power adapter on a 120W card?

Im a little confused about something.

I was all set to purchase an EXP GDC Beast V8 from Gearbest for my laptop and they tell me that my laptop isnt supported.  I have an HP Probook 4520S with the I5 in it and thats not supported but the Probook 4530S is and that has the I3.  Im not understanding why can anyone elaborate on this or point to a product that will work.  thanks.

On 30/06/2016 at 11:11 PM, utopian201 said:

As far as I'm aware, the EXP GDC beast can have trouble running at PCI-e 2.0 speeds due to the mini hdmi cable quality. If you are limited to PCI-e 1.0 speeds, you may experience stuttering or micro lags due to the restricted bandwith  (depending on what game you play).

In terms of problems you will face in the future, it could be any of the ones in this forum (error 12, card not detected, etc) :P in device manager

Any GPU and PSU will work, not really any different to making the same decision for a desktop.

I use a 660Ti and a small form factor PSU (Corsair SF600) to reduce space but it is quite expensive.

Well okay so umm what other adapters you recommend? I connect it to a normal hdmi, not a mini one so I think that's fine. But i'm not sure what you mean by version 2.0 or 1.0. Is it the one in the laptop or the adapter?

I would like to buy a graphic card to use as egpu.I am going to connect GPU to my laptop HP dv6-6173sf via mPCI-e . My question is:  which graphic card  would be better, Geforce GTX 970 or Radeon RX 480 to have as egpu and which egpu adapter would be better PE4C-PM060A V3.0 or exp gdc beast?

Hi all, i'm new here, i'm an Apple expert but sadly my soldering skill are inexistent and i'm not english native speaker so it is quite hard to understand some thing about building my own external GFX card. I'm really asking help here and a lot of patience.

I have:

- Mac mini 2014 maxed out

- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB

- Akitio Thunder2

Going to buy:

Dell DA-2 AC is this right? http://www.ebay.it/itm/DELL-AC-DC-DA-2-SERIES-ADAPTER-D220P-01-FOR-DELL-SX280-GX620-GX745-GX755-USFF-/152157064919?hash=item236d448ed7:g:YDEAAOSw-KFXfMZT

I know i must make holes in the chassis to have better airflow.

What exactly i need to for power and cables? I want the gfx card to stay inside the case, so i suppose i don't need a riser card. It is ok to solder, i will ask for help.

I've found this, but i need the gfx card aux power and the adapter to connect everything to Dell  DA-2

http://www.ebay.it/itm/PCI-E-to-12v-5-5mm-x-2-5mm-DC-barrel-plug-AKiTiO-Thunder-PSU-adapter-/252436918958?

Edited by ikir

Dear Respected Members,

Hope that you are doing well,

I want your advice to use an eGPU solution for Clevo P570WM with the new GTX 1080, I can use the PCI ExpressCard in the front, or I can use the WiFi replacement one. Is there is any  bandwidth restrictions or any other issues? 

If someone has any experience with this, please share it. 

Laptop specs: Clevo P570WM, I7 4930k, 880M Sli, 16GB RAM

Regards,

P570WM_PCIe.jpg

P570WM_WiFi.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Use the expresscard slot with a BPlus PE4C 3.0 for the most fuss free x1 2.0 (4Gbps) eGPU solution.

Thank you @Tech Inferno Fan for you kind support. I'll give it a try.

Did you try the eGPU with GTX 1080 before?, or any other members did that before, even with different laptop? is the card will work with full performance? can I OC the card?

Best Regards,

Edited by Dr. AMK

10 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Use the expresscard slot with a BPlus PE4C 3.0 for the most fuss free x1 2.0 (4Gbps) eGPU solution.

4 hours ago, Dr. AMK said:

Thank you @Tech Inferno Fan for you kind support. I'll give it a try.

Did you try the eGPU with GTX 1080 before?, or any other members did that before, even with different laptop? is the card will work with full performance? can I OC the card?

Best Regards,

I found this article about 

ExpressCard 34 and ExpressCard 54

http://www.synchrotech.com/support/faq-expresscard.html

So is the bandwidth will be OK for eGPY with GTX 1080? is there is any kind of Bottleneck?

I have to do more research.

Edited by Dr. AMK

48 minutes ago, Dr. AMK said:

I found this article about 

ExpressCard 34 and ExpressCard 54

http://www.synchrotech.com/support/faq-expresscard.html

So is the bandwidth will be OK for eGPY with GTX 1080? is there is any kind of Bottleneck?

I have to do more research.

This is the GTX 1080 full Specs:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

They mentioned that:

- it's PCIe 3.0Bus Support

- 180W Graphics Card Power (W)
- 500W Recommended System Power (W),

so is this will need special power supply with the  BPlus PE4C 3.0

The PE4C V3.0 is designed for Notebook PCs that converts PCI Express 16X Add-on Card to ExCard or mPCIe or PCIe x1 connecter with up to Gen3 (8Gbps) speed.

This adapter allows you to use your existing PCI-E 16X Card in the notebook PC for gaming.

Source:

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C V3.0.html

Edited by Dr. AMK

So I have been researching for days on a solution to setting up a eGPU specically for the Dell inspiron 17r se (7720) and I have a headache from it. I cannot find any one that has this computer that reported it working. So, i am looking for anyone that can confirm that they tried it on this computer so I can make my full purchase because I cannot personally afford to try it myself and have it not work. I appreciate any help here is some more information.

I am thinking of getting the PE4C adapter

intel i7 3630qm

intel hd 4000 with gt 650m

there is a wifi card that i assume is connected to a mpcie

Edited by abdelqadri
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2016 at 6:39 PM, Dr. AMK said:

This is the GTX 1080 full Specs:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

They mentioned that:

- it's PCIe 3.0Bus Support

- 180W Graphics Card Power (W)
- 500W Recommended System Power (W),

so is this will need special power supply with the  BPlus PE4C 3.0

The PE4C V3.0 is designed for Notebook PCs that converts PCI Express 16X Add-on Card to ExCard or mPCIe or PCIe x1 connecter with up to Gen3 (8Gbps) speed.

This adapter allows you to use your existing PCI-E 16X Card in the notebook PC for gaming.

Source:

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C V3.0.html

So according to your research the new GTX 10 series cards should work right ? I am also thinking of doing the EGPU using mPCIE slot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really not sure yet, no one confirm it's working or not, it seems like it will work fine but maybe some bandwidth limitation will happen, the GTX1080 still a new card no one has experience with eGPU can tell us until now.

Our friend @Tech Inferno Fan is our Senior Expert in this subject without his confirmation it will be a risk, he is the software owner to make it work, you can find his tools in the link below:

Edited by Dr. AMK
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Dr. AMK said:

Really not sure yet, no one confirm it's working or not, it seems like it will work fine but maybe some bandwidth limitation will happen, the GTX1080 still a new card no one has experience with eGPU can tell us untill now.

Our friend @Tech Inferno Fan is our Senior Expert in this subject without his confirmation it will be a risk, he is the software owner to make it work, you can fine his tools in the link below:

Thanks for the reply. Basically I tried my Laptop y500 with a my friend's setup GTX 760 and works fine. I am planning to buy a GTX 1060 or GTX 970. If 10 series cards work then I will buy 1060. I hope someone can give a confirmation.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cmiyc said:

Thanks for the reply. Basically I tried my Laptop y500 with a my friend's setup GTX 760 and works fine. I am planning to buy a GTX 1060 or GTX 970. If 10 series cards work then I will buy 1060. I hope someone can give a confirmation.

I'm waiting also, but I'll go for the GTX1080.

Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a gtx 980 connected due bplus pe4c 3.0 to my e6430 and I can say is useless use so expensive cards, before I had the gtx960 and the performance was about the same with a lower temperature and power consumption.. I think the gtx970 is the best deal for a egpu connected to a slow PCI at 1x2.0 connection.. The bandwidth is the bottleneck, you can take advance of the high end cards only with thunderbolt 2.0 or higher

HI

• I know that dell Latitude 3550 is not officially supported by V8.0 EXP GDC Beast but is it possible that it would work on my computer:
    • Dell Latitude 3550
    • CPU Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz - Dual-Core
    • Intel® Integrated HD Graphics 4400 (Core x - 4th Gen)
    • Memory: 8gb 

using NGFF of wifi card? 

Screenshot_1.png

http://www.banggood.com/NGFF-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009978.html

Can use pe4c 3.0with NGFF or pe4c 3.0 must be used only with mPCIe Expresscard and PCIe adapters?

Please give any response to my post.

by benjamin152

Edited by benjamin152

I am getting a GTX 970 with PE4C mpcie. My question is that will the "Corsair VS Series VS450 - 450 Watt" is enough to power my gtx 970 and will the cables connect properly ?

15 hours ago, cmiyc said:

I am getting a GTX 970 with PE4C mpcie. My question is that will the "Corsair VS Series VS450 - 450 Watt" is enough to power my gtx 970 and will the cables connect properly ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.