I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

fernangus

You will always be able to use the internal display. But if you want to use the eGPU performance on the internal display for games you must use Windows 8.1.

OSX and/or Windows 10 will only allow you gaming on an external display.

so i can't play games on Windows 10 but i have to downgrade to 8.1?

Currently we have no user with Optimus running in Windows 10. (Optimus is transfering the image from the Nvidia eGPU on the internal Intel GPU)

Only Windows 8.1 is running fine.

Ok.

Thank you.

I'll try to set up my eGPU then.

Hey Dschijn, do you have Skype or something I can instant message you with? Just trying to solidify my shopping list and your help would be appreciated. I tried to add my Skype account to my profile but it doesn't work with hotmail linked Skype accounts so here's an image. :P

post-40502-14495001231238_thumb.png

Hey guys, I have been toying with the idea of eGPU for some time now, so I have been reading this forum a lot and I got to say, there is a lot of very useful information here, definitely more than anywhere else. So now I have decided to finally register and ask some questions. I am really new to this, so please bear with me and excuse any stupid questions I will ask :). I need your guy's advice to know if what I want to do is possible and if it is, is it feasible, my main concern is bottlenecks in my system:

1. I want to build an eGPU for my HP Pavilion laptop, which I bought in 2015. Here are the specs that I got from Hwinfo64:

Processor Name: Intel Core i5-5200U

Computer Brand Name: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion Notebook

Motherboard Model: Hewlett-Packard 8093

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Broadwell-U PCH-LP (Premium)

Motherboard Slots: 3xPCI Express x1

PCI Express Version Supported: v2.0 (does that mean that my mPCIe is version 2.0 as well??)

USB Version Supported: v3.0

RAM 16 Gb DDR3

Hard drive 240 Gb SSD

OS Windows 10

I want to use GTX 970. I know it might be a bit too powerful for my CPU, but whatever, I might build desktop later.

For external display I can use my 1080p projector, connection to Video card will be through HDMI or VGA.

So I opened up my laptop and I saw what I guess is mini PCI-Express port (mPCIE). It currently has my wireless card plugged into it.

So, if I understand correctly, I will have to use PE4C V3.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter) with my mPCIE slot, together with NVIDIA Optimus PCIe compression (where do I get that btw?) and that should do it right?

Another way of doing it that I see is convert my USB 3.0 to Express Card via adapter (EC03 (ExpressCard 2.0 to USB 3.0) USB interface) and use the PE4C adapter with the express card, but with the research that I have done so far, it yields the same speed as my mPCIE port, which is 5Gb/s, which is also the speed that HWinfo64 is showing for my PCI-E slots.

Now, my questions are:

1. Could it work?

2. What will be the bottleneck? CPU? mPCIe?

3. How much performance will I get out of the video card?

Hope to hear from you guys, you seem to know more about this stuff than anywhere else on the internet.

Greetings to everyone!

I have laptop Lenovo Y580 with nice i7-3630qm(2,4-3,4Ghz, 6 Mb) processor but weak GPU - GTX 660M. I am interesting in eGPU solution, but am confused a bit in detecting type of PCIe in my free mSATA slot in laptop.

I will be thankfull, if somene can give me tips, what kind of PCIe has my laptop and wich model of external GPU is better to use for best perfomance.

Will I able to play 1440p with any of external GPU (on middle settings, lets say)?

Thank you in advice, and execuse for my english.

Hey there,

I am seriously considering the external GPU setup and I wanted to make sure I am not screwing something up with what I purchase or if I can even do it. I saw your list and it said there were concerns with the g2, but I am 99% sure I have the the original model.

I've got an I7 4700MQ @ 2.4ghz

24gigs of RAM

SSD.

It shows that I have a thunderbolt slot and a express slot. The only thing it says under the battery is ZBook 15. So i assume it's first gen. Anyone use this particular model for this stuff? What did you use?

Hi Guys, this is my second attempt to get an EGPU for my laptop. Now, the important part is that I AM NOT A SMART MAN. I am utterly and completely lost with all of the technical information; that language barrier stopped me when I tried to buy a set-up last year. I spent hours and hours pouring over the tutorials and I AM LOST!!! Would somebody be kind enough to just tell me yes or no if it's possible to get an EGPU with my setup, and if so, what exactly I should buy?

I have a T540P. I have an Expresscard reader, which I think is 1.1 x1. There's also an mPCIE thing, but it's connected to my wifi chip and it would be an annoyance to have to disassemble the laptop to use it.

I just wanna know:

1: Can this system accept an EGPU?

2: If so, what adapter would I need? Please be as specific as possible (like just a link to the website to purchase) because I don't understand ANY of the technical stuff!!!

3: What other stuff do I need to buy? Can somebody recommend a card?

4: Would it be worth it? If a $400 EGPU setup on this laptop would barely crack 30fps on medium settings I just wouldn't bother.

THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: Would this be a good setup for this laptop? I have a DVI monitor

Gigabye R9 380

EXP GDC Expresscard Thing

Power Supply

Hi Guys, this is my second attempt to get an EGPU for my laptop. Now, the important part is that I AM NOT A SMART MAN. I am utterly and completely lost with all of the technical information; that language barrier stopped me when I tried to buy a set-up last year. I spent hours and hours pouring over the tutorials and I AM LOST!!! Would somebody be kind enough to just tell me yes or no if it's possible to get an EGPU with my setup, and if so, what exactly I should buy?

I have a T540P. I have an Expresscard reader, which I think is 1.1 x1. There's also an mPCIE thing, but it's connected to my wifi chip and it would be an annoyance to have to disassemble the laptop to use it.

I just wanna know:

1: Can this system accept an EGPU?

2: If so, what adapter would I need? Please be as specific as possible (like just a link to the website to purchase) because I don't understand ANY of the technical stuff!!!

3: What other stuff do I need to buy? Can somebody recommend a card?

4: Would it be worth it? If a $400 EGPU setup on this laptop would barely crack 30fps on medium settings I just wouldn't bother.

THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: Would this be a good setup for this laptop? I have a DVI monitor

Gigabye R9 380

EXP GDC Expresscard Thing

Power Supply

Has been done on a T540P already at https://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/8360-15-lenovo-t540p-r9_280x%404gbps-ec2-pe4c-2-1-win7-%5Bantraz%5D.html#post113811 . Did you look at it?

Though recommend a newer PE4C V3.0 over any other expresscard eGPU adapters due to it's feature set and soldered cable ensuring most reliable Gen2 operation.

• 3 weeks later...

@EGPUmaybe I'm in the same boat as you man. I'm sure it will work if you buy the mPCEI version of the adapter and plug it into where your wireless card is currenly located (you're gonna have to take it out). As for performance, I don't really know as i'm pretty to new to this stuff too. It will be better than the intergrated graphics you currently have im sure lol. As for bottle neck, I really don't know much in that regard aswell. It won't be really significant i'm thinking since your processor is pretty decent, but idk bout the cores. Good luck man. I'm also planning to add an eGPU to my hp pavilion 17 f115dx.

Hello,

I'm quite new to the eGPU world. I'm an old Mac user. Recently my 9 years old Mac Pro 1,1 died and I decided to replace it with a new MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M270X 2GB.

Well, I'm a programmer and I use it mainly to work, but I like games too, and I'm willing to install Windows 10, Steam and play to Company of Heroes 2. That's actually the only game I play. I have two old Samsung SyncMaster 204B displays linked using two Thunderbolt (MiniDisplay Port) to DVI cables.

I'm going to install Windows on my main PCIe internal disk, since I have about 200 GB free for it, which is enough.

Well, I read many threads about eGPU, and I'm pretty sure you have already answered all of my questions, but I'll be glad if you answer them again here, all in one place. Thank you.

My questions are:

1) I have an old MSI Twin Frozr III ATI Radeon 6870, which it was enough to play CoH2 on my Mac Pro, can I still use it as eGPU? I will eventually upgrade the videocard in a future, but for now I would stick with the 6870. I'm only interested to use it in Windows.

2) I have read somewhere that every videocard is susceptible to a performance drop when used as eGPU. Which percentage are we talking about? 10%? More?

3) Do I have to install some software on Windows to run the eGPU? Is this software free or not?

4) Can my videocard be used as eGPU on Windows 10?

5) Which is the most cheap way to make an eGPU enclosure Akitio Thunder2?

6) Do you know an european site where I can buy it?

7) Can I power both the Akitio and the eGPU using the same PSU?

8) Is there any laptop PSU that I can use to power the Akitio and my videocard (and eventually, in the future the NVIDIA 980) ?

9) Is there any alternative to the Akitio? I mean, just a Thunderbolt 2 to PCIe interface, with the same performance as the Akitio, which I can use inside an DYI case? And maybe this interface is cheaper than Akitio 2?

10) A part from the "modding" task, the configuration is easy, is it work out the box, or is it something like an hackintosh?

That's all for the moment.

Thank you guys!

@quiteanoob:

1) Some AMD cards have stability problems. Currently the best cards are Nvidia cards.

2) Yes, but that depends on the game. Some need a lot of PCIe bandwidth, some don't. In general the drop is about 10% if you use TB2 and a external display. You can take a look at the graphs in my 2nd build: https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6734-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx97016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win81-dschijn/

3) On Windows 8.1 or newer and with an external display you will only need the latest GPU driver

4) Yes, but only with an external display!

5) In my opinion it is the best that you get for its price and performance.

6) Germany: http://www.format.de/Products/5961/index.php?gclid=CPDWsYn2hsUCFUblwgodMa0AVA

7) You MUST use the same PSU. And yes, it is possible.

8) Dell DA-2 can power cards up to GTX 970s. Reference GTX980s might work (I think I have seen one doing that), but I wouldn't go higher than a GTX970. For anything faster you will need desktop PC PSUs or other active cooled 12V PSUs (e.g. 400W PSUs for LEDs)

9) Currently no. Maybe you can find other cases that have a discount and become cheaper. Still, the AKiTiO is the most used case and will give you the most help and informations here.

10) Maybe you need to be patient and find the correct booting sequence of your devices, but it should be straight forward! Even in OSX it is simple, due to the script from goalque!

Hello everybody.

I'm totally new in this world and I'm thinking to make a eGPU for my Macbook Pro 15". I want it specially to use the X-Plane 10 simulator.

I think that with a GTX 970 is enough to run it well (28 to 35 fps) with high rendering options.

I read the guide for diY with Atikio Thunder2 but I have some questions. Maybe somebody can help me.

My laptop specifications are:

- Macbook Pro 15" mid 2012.

- Intel Core i7; 2,7 GHz

- RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

- Graphic cards: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB (integrated) and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB (discrete).

My questions are: 

1. Do I need to use always Windows to run the sim? It's possible to use the eGPU running the sim on OS X?

2. Can I use the Macbook Pro's display for this or do I need to use an external display?

3. I think that models likes GTX 980 are supported but the Thunderbolt cable doesn't use it at all (I mean, the card doesn't works at 100%).

4. Do I need to disable the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M to use the new one? How can I do it?

Thank you in advance. You guys do a great jobs sharing this knowledge.

Danny.

1. OSX works as well. Which OSX version do you currently run?

2. External is the best option. Or you start the game on an external display, make it window mode, drag the window on the internal display and keep it in window mode.

3. Every eGPU is limited by the bandwidth of TB

4. No need to disable it.

I have been following eGPU progress off and on for years now since I always thought the idea was great. My current setup is a 2011 MBP so the Thunderbolt 1 was holding me back among other things. On Black Friday I saw a awesome deal on a new 2014 rMBP and finally decided to upgrade.  I had hoped the major upgrade would allow me to run Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and Battlefront finally. But that does not look like a option even with the upgrade. The Akitio solution looks much better than original eGPU stuff I saw years ago and to see so many people finally have a stable system makes me really want to consider it again.

I have been reading the board for the last week and I've seen the news about Thunderbolt 3 and how eGPUs should become pretty normal in 2016. I know my 2014 rMBP only has Thunderbolt2 but I still have time to return it and wait. I see a lot of speculation about Thunderbolt3, eGPUs, and the new 2016 MBP but nothing solid. 

My question is do you think its a good time to build a Akitio eGPU now? Considering possible TB3 and retail eGPUs this coming year.  My absolute best end goal is to be able to run a Oculus Rift using a eGPU and my rMBP. Min spec is a GTX 970, but the TB2 has a performance loss.

@BeerNuts A TB2 eGPU is already giving you an awesome performance. It is unclear how and when TB3 is going to release it's eGPUs.

If you want to game now and already own the MBRp, you can give it a go.

If you can wait some more and are comfortable to step up to a newer MB, wait.

Hi, I'm a new entry from Italy. My question is about add egpu to my thinkpad w510, I've read the FAQ but I've some doubt : what interface I need to connect a powerful external graphic card to my workstation? I would use 2x x1 configuration and use the internal monitor, thanks.Specs : CPU I7-920xm, 8gb ram, nvidia fx880m, 1920x1080 75hz.

Edited by aldimeola81
mistake

Hi people.

I just have a question.

What percentage of use (performance) can you get from GTX 970 and Thunderbolt 1? 75%, 80%, 99????

It worries to my a lot before to buy all and make the eGPU?

Thanks.

I see...

The idea of use the two ports is possible???? The Akitio Thunder2 can use more than one to get the full performance of the GTX 970?

Any solutions???

I have a really good MBP but a normal GPU... :( (2012 MBP, I7, 16 GB RAM.....) and Thunderbolt 1.

So It's worth to make an eGPU and spend about $500. How was your experience?

The set up could be:

- Akitio Thunder2.

- Zotac GTX 970 (I understand that I have to remove the shroud of the Zotac to fill in Akitio Thunder2).

- PSU Dell D2-A.

- Ebay cables.

- OS X El Capitán / Windows 10.

- A external display if its needed.

I'm really confused and I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Edited by DannyFK

I've see over many forum and I found that the w510 isn't a good candidate to egpu setup.

I'm going to buy a t520 or w520 instead with a 1920x1080 screen, can you confirm that is a right choice for playing over internal laptop screen? Thanks

Inviato dal mio Lenovo P70-A utilizzando Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.