[POLL] PASCAL MXM GPU UPGRADES

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Also older Clevos with 60Hz panels like my old P570WM. 

Does anyone want AMD notebook GPUs any more, considering they are so weak in comparison?

It looks impressive to me.

I need to change my name over on this board...I made this in 2011 when I was figuring out 6990M undervolting. This is Raidriar over from NBR :P

I was going to run RX 480s in all my systems on a matter of not supporting Nvidia's ridiculous consumer atrocities for the past few years. Now it seems the only answer is the 980M in legacy platforms. On a separate note, I find it slightly amusing how the GTX 980M is the final card for these LVDS systems, kinda how the 9800M GTX (similar names) was the final card for MXM 2.1/HE users before MXM 3.0B was introduced.

8 minutes ago, technos said:

I need to change my name over on this board...I made this in 2011 when I was figuring out 6990M undervolting. This is Raidriar over from NBR :P

I was going to run RX 480s in all my systems on a matter of not supporting Nvidia's ridiculous consumer atrocities for the past few years. Now it seems the only answer is the 980M in legacy platforms. On a separate note, I find it slightly amusing how the GTX 980M is the final card for these LVDS systems, kinda how the 9800M GTX (similar names) was the final card for MXM 2.1/HE users before MXM 3.0B was introduced.

I don't know how, or if I even can. Maybe @Brian can change your name to Raidriar here.

Yeah, I totally get the problem with stifling options. That really sucks. I'd be willing to be it's being done on purpose as well. OEMs don't want people to be able to upgrade their old laptops. They only care about what is best for themselves.

I need to change my name over on this board...I made this in 2011 when I was figuring out 6990M undervolting. This is Raidriar over from NBR [emoji14]

I am wondering, if the EDP equipped rigs are able to cool a 150w card? I'm not convinced that my P570WM would be able to, but I would give it a try.

Any info about the E9550 so far?

21 minutes ago, CaerCadarn said:

I am wondering, if the EDP equipped rigs are able to cool a 150w card? I'm not convinced that my P570WM would be able to, but I would give it a try.

Any info about the E9550 so far?

Yes, it should. I pulled over 200W from each 980M in the Panther. The GPU heat sinks are a little small, so I would not recommend GPU overclocking without AC or you might damage the GPUs. But, for normal use and gaming at stock clocks you should be fine. Hard to say for certain without trying it. More so than the wattage, 1070 clock speeds are really high even stock, so it would most likely run warmer than 970M or 980M. I have never bothered to check what the AMD 480 clock speeds are.

Yes, it should. I pulled over 200W from each 980M in the Panther. The GPU heat sinks are a little small, so I would not recommend GPU overclocking without AC or you might damage the GPUs. But, for normal use and gaming at stock clocks you should be fine. Hard to say for certain without trying it. More so than the wattage, 1070 clock speeds are really high even stock, so it would most likely run warmer than 970M or 980M. I have never bothered to check what the AMD 480 clock speeds are.

Clock speeds should be 1120mhz, memory on 1750mhz. I am wondering how good overclockable this one will be.

5 hours ago, CaerCadarn said:

Clock speeds should be 1120mhz, memory on 1750mhz. I am wondering how good overclockable this one will be.

I don't know. AMD hasn't been very good for mobile overclocking since GCN came out. Don't know if 480 mobile will change that or it if will still be crippled like always.

• Founder
6 hours ago, technos said:

Send me a request for name change via PM.

15 hours ago, CaerCadarn said:

So far, rumoured specs on RX480M are the same as desktop 480 at 2304sp, 1120/1750mhz & 150W TDP, but come from a taobao listing from a manufacturer that's an EOI, and the lister confirming them via PM from someone on NBR

Specs on the E9550 are the same as well - same chip, config & speeds - only diff is the 95W TDP - but those come from release info

so nothing credible or confirmed yet

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2016 at 9:12 AM, Mr. Fox said:

If you do not want or cannot afford a P870DM3 then I would recommend going back to desktop and totally abandoning laptops. I would say that it would be smart to sell the AW18 while it still works and has some value.

Based on the experience I had with the Sky X9 and my own P870DM-G, I would say that you don't know what you're missing out on. I really loved all of my Alienware machines. The P570WM and especially the P870DM-G caused me to totally lose all interest in them. Of course, Alienware being what they are today (soldered turdbook filth peddlers) leaves us with zero hope for an acceptable future and that probably played a huge part in building the utter contempt I have for them now.

Can't remember the last time you said anything nice about them as a company to be honest...

48 minutes ago, Lee James Wood said:

Can't remember the last time you said anything nice about them as a company to be honest...

I don't remember the exact date, but it was when it became clear that all they were going to sell going forward was soldered BGA gamerboy shitbooks. There is nothing nice that I say about them now. They wimped out on us. If they were still offering superior machines with sockets and slots along side the inferior BGA crap it would be inconsequential. Clevo sells BGA filth as well, and I have nothing nice to say about those products.

The really sad thing about Alienware is their problems started before their product line went BGA. It started with their castrated firmware and inadequately engineered power delivery systems. Their disrespectful shenanigans started in the middle of the M17xR4 and M18xR2 production cycle with Secure Flash and got progressively worse from there. Because their products were so compelling and superior in most ways, I was too forgiving of the early warning signs. It should have been obvious that they were headed for a fall, but I was a foolish fan of the brand for longer than I should have been. I should have turned against them when they refused to remove the Secure Flash and refused to give us ample power supplies for the SLI beasts. They pretended to care, took notes, and then used the information we shared with them against. Brother @johnksss was also included in some of those special discussions, along with some other outstanding individuals that wanted to see the Alienware brand continue to flourish and dominate the high performance notebook niche. They betrayed us... no other way to look at it. This is the basis of the contempt held by former Alienware owners.

Now, to be completely fair... although I have nothing tangible to base it on... my belief is that they still make a genuine effort to produce well built notebooks with decent cooling systems, nice display panels and keyboards, but the bad things they have done negate the value of anything they bring to the table today. The gravity of the cons associated with owning an Alienware eclipse the pros in my opinion. 

On 10.10.2016 at 7:20 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I don't know. AMD hasn't been very good for mobile overclocking since GCN came out. Don't know if 480 mobile will change that or it if will still be crippled like always.

well according to my 7970m your wrong and the 7970m of @Khenglish was even better, it outran the 680m whilste beeing 200€ cheaper. it ran pretty hot but that was all.bang 4 the buck whise it was a great card.

ever since then there was nothing new from amd^^ so hello 980m :D

1 hour ago, chap said:

well according to my 7970m your wrong and the 7970m of @Khenglish was even better, it outran the 680m whilste beeing 200€ cheaper. it ran pretty hot but that was all.bang 4 the buck whise it was a great card.

Well, according to the four 7970M that I had, all of which malfunctioned and overclocked very poorly, I'm certain that I am correct. Based on what I know to be true, 7970M CrossFire scores are not very close to the benchmark scores that I and @johnksss achieved with 680M SLI. 

Below is a comparison of the #1 3DMark 11 scores for 7970M CrossFire and 680M SLI... AMD has been second string for many years in both CPU and GPU performance and I am not optimistic that will ever change. AMD is a an alternative if you want to save a few bucks and don't want to spend money on low budget NVIDIA GPUs. If they fail (which is likely) out of warranty, having to buy your own replacement parts actually makes them more expensive than NVIDIA.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/10578994/3dm11/6924868  

Compare.JPG

As a side note, 6970M and 6990M were as prone to failure as 7970M. I had two of each that failed under warranty and were eventually replaced under warranty by 580M cards. The last decent MXM GPUs I had from the red team were ATI (not AMD) 4870M and 5870M. I haven't been able to take AMD seriously at anything since the old Athlon CPU days, when they had their brief run in the sun and beat Intel for a short period of time.

On 10/8/2016 at 11:41 AM, Prema said:

That's the loop to fool the vBIOS that an EC signal is present...wonder who told them that. ;)

Who would do that? Dont tell me its you... 

If this is the case, I will underdo trans, give you a kiss, then switch back. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Now, to be completely fair... although I have nothing tangible to base it on... my belief is that they still make a genuine effort to produce well built notebooks with decent cooling systems, nice display panels and keyboards, but the bad things they have done negate the value of anything they bring to the table today. The gravity of the cons associated with owning an Alienware eclipse the pros in my opinion. 

You are no longer the customer they are looking for. The new gen  dumb phone kids are the mainstream. They dont read about specs, they dont care, somehow they are holding much more budget than I do when I was at their age. On top of that, THEY CARE ABOUT THE LOOKS ONLY! 

My proof is: Linus whatever. 

Alienware in the end is looking for profits, modable bios would result in lot of RMA.

Ps

Im surprised there are not many returns on BGA shit gaming retarded laptops.

2 hours ago, devilhunter said:

Who would do that? Dont tell me its you... 

If this is the case, I will underdo trans, give you a kiss, then switch back. 

You are no longer the customer they are looking for. The new gen  dumb phone kids are the mainstream. They dont read about specs, they dont care, somehow they are holding much more budget than I do when I was at their age. On top of that, THEY CARE ABOUT THE LOOKS ONLY! 

My proof is: Linus whatever. 

Alienware in the end is looking for profits, modable bios would result in lot of RMA.

Ps

Im surprised there are not many returns on BGA shit gaming retarded laptops.

I think the answer to what you said in blue text highlight is easily explained by what you said in red text highlight.

If the only thing a person plans to do is play games, a console is a whole lot cheaper and really not much of a downgrade from a BGA turdbook.

• Founder
4 hours ago, chap said:

The 7970m suffered from some pretty bad frame stuttering as a result of it's poor frametimes. I documented this back 4 years ago when it was released for the M18x. 

27 minutes ago, octiceps said:

I should try those on my MSI Afterburner for kicks. xD

Do you know of a way to get RTSS OSD working with DX12 games? I haven't been able to figure this out yet. RTSS OSD seems to have no functionality in DX12 games for me.

I really like the MSI Afterburner skins for the latest editions. They look amazing. I should try those skins with Precision X.

The 100mV max after modding is the kicker for me. The 100mV max isn't anywhere near enough for my GPU overclocking. Sady, I cannot use Afterburner for this... It won't all me to.

Capture.png

The skins work with MSI Afterburner (see below). The Afterburner USF skin files will not work with Precision X. I also cannot use the Skin tool or rename the extension to work with Precision X. Maybe there is a way to do it that I don't know about, but it's cool that the my Precision X skins work with Afterburner.

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Do you know of a way to get RTSS OSD working with DX12 games? I haven't been able to figure this out yet. RTSS OSD seems to have no functionality in DX12 games for me.

Just wait until tomorrow, new versions of AB and RTSS will be released which support DX12 OSD for single and explicit mGPU in Win32 (not UWP) games.

Just install AB RC...

MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 RC distributive has been updated. MSI Afterburner itself is exactly the same build 9267 as in the previous RC with no changes, but bundled RTSS 6.5.0 distributive has been upgraded to newer build 8709 (also available as separate download a few posts above). I'm rather satisfied with testing results so most likely this RC will be submitted to MSI for release on Monday.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...22_10_2016.rar

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5349365&postcount=185

6 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Ah, thanks @octiceps and @J95. Going to try the new RTSS version posted here... http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5348254&postcount=174

Will test the final version of MSI AB after release to see if it is still crippled with 100mV max.

Nope, Install the latest RC instead (updated RTSS) http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5349365&postcount=185

10 minutes ago, J95 said:

Nope, Install the latest RC instead (updated RTSS) http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5349365&postcount=185

OK, I just did. Sadly, it still has a wimpy 100mV offset for voltage, so it won't be of any value to me. Unless you know a way I can tweak it to get my full 1.300V GPU voltage max.

Edit: Equally sad, looks like the RC of RTSS does not support DX12 UWP games. At least it doesn't output anything to OSD for Gears of War 4. W10 sucks, LOL.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Edit: Equally sad, looks like the RC of RTSS does not support DX12 UWP games. At least it doesn't output anything to OSD for Gears of War 4. W10 sucks, LOL.

Which is why I explicitly mentioned Win32 only. UWP support isn't planned. Vulkan is getting added in the near future.