[POLL] PASCAL MXM GPU UPGRADES

• Founder
2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I mostly agree... I definitely don't want the thin and light crap or integrated GPU part because that reminds me too much of an anemic turdbook, but having an eGPU on a TB3 port will be awesome. That way you can start with a healthy monster GPU like the 200W GTX 980 and not be stuck there due to circumstances beyond your control... never at the mercy of an OEM again, or a victim of their failure to deliver. There's nothing to not like about that. I love the bulk and weight, including the dual 330W setup. It's just part of the shock and awe factor that can be used to taunt the turdbook jockeys and their pathetic shitbooks. I'd prefer than the Intel Graphics crap stay disabled. Ideally, a CPU that does not even have that would be utilized. It's a waste of silicon on a high performance beast.

Well for example if the chipset utilizes skylake with 6700K you will get the integrated intel gfx. IMO adding in a discrete GPU would be redundant since the eGPU would be doing that job so it would just add to heat, bulk, weight and unnecessary cost. I do see Razer and others making a push for eGPU and I think it will go mainstream in the near future. Good thing Tech|Inferno is probably the best place on the internet to find information related to eGPU setups. @Tech Inferno Fan

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Brian said:

Well for example if the chipset utilizes skylake with 6700K you will get the integrated intel gfx. IMO adding in a discrete GPU would be redundant since the eGPU would be doing that job so it would just add to heat, bulk, weight and unnecessary cost. I do see Razer and others making a push for eGPU and I think it will go mainstream in the near future. Good thing Tech|Inferno is probably the best place on the internet to find information related to eGPU setups. @Tech Inferno Fan

No, it would not be redundant if you were away from your desk at home, or traveling away from home and not wanting to lug an eGPU through airports and such. The Intel HD Graphics is a waste and having it disabled helps keep the CPU cool when it is severely overclocked. Having the discrete GPU gives you a 24/7 badass beast at home or on the road. That's the whole point in caring, at least for me personally. Otherwise, I would just by a $150 Dell Inspiron or Chromebook piece of crap from Walmart, build a desktop  and call it a day. I would have no use for the eGPU in that scenario. A monster desktop would make the eGPU redundant. The downside to either one is the same (being tethered to a desk) and the discrete GPU eliminates any need for compromise. The main attraction of the eGPU, for me personally, is that it allows me to have the last laugh when I get screwed by an idiotic OEM that thinks it is OK to change proprietary MXM form factors for a GPU refresh on models that are still current.

I am sure you could have already guessed that I will not be wasting my money on trash from Razer and others that peddle thin and light BGA shitbooks for gamers. I won't have any part of that kind of garbagefest. From my perspective, compromises of any kind always suck and I will exhaust all other options before embracing the notion of paying more than $500 for BGA filthbooks of any kind.

Yes, we have the world-class resource on the subject right here. We are very blessed to have @Tech Inferno Fan genius on our team. I may need to tap into his vast knowledge and expertise for an eGPU setup if I cannot get what I want for my P870DM-G.

• Founder
26 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

No, it would not be redundant if you were away from your desk at home, or traveling away from home and not wanting to lug an eGPU through airports and such. The Intel HD Graphics is a waste and having it disabled helps keep the CPU cool when it is severely overclocked. Having the discrete GPU gives you a 24/7 badass beast at home or on the road. That's the whole point in caring, at least for me personally. Otherwise, I would just by a $150 Dell Inspiron or Chromebook piece of crap from Walmart, build a desktop  and call it a day. I would have no use for the eGPU in that scenario. A monster desktop would make the eGPU redundant. The downside to either one is the same (being tethered to a desk) and the discrete GPU eliminates any need for compromise. The main attraction of the eGPU, for me personally, is that it allows me to have the last laugh when I get screwed by an idiotic OEM that thinks it is OK to change proprietary MXM form factors for a GPU refresh on models that are still current.

I am sure you could have already guessed that I will not be wasting my money on trash from Razer and others that peddle thin and light BGA shitbooks for gamers. I won't have any part of that kind of garbagefest. From my perspective, compromises of any kind always suck and I will exhaust all other options before embracing the notion of paying more than $500 for BGA filthbooks of any kind.

Yes, we have the world-class resource on the subject right here. We are very blessed to have @Tech Inferno Fan genius on our team. I may need to tap into his vast knowledge and expertise for an eGPU setup if I cannot get what I want for my P870DM-G.

Fortunately for now the market for the 1% enthusiast like you that want what you listed still exists. But for how much longer is the real question? If Clevo begins to retreat from upgradeable notebooks then it should be a signal to everyone that the ship has sailed for those type of notebooks because we certainly can't count on the likes of Dell and others to deliver. Speaking of lugging around these powerbooks, I think it would be interesting to put up a poll that asks AW 18/Clevo/MSI Titan owners (if any exist) how often they take their notebooks away from their desks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Honestly, this is why I think in the long term e-GPU is a good thing for notebooks. You can buy a notebook w/a kick ass CPU in it equipped with an integrated GPU and then just dock it to an external GPU that is better than any MXM class card you could install in your system. The advantages are:

1. eGPU is cheaper and upgradeable 

2. eGPU is a full desktop card and will run cooler than an MXM solution

3. Your notebook will likely be thinner and much lighter

4. You aren't tied to a single brand of notebook

5. Your notebook won't sound like a jet engine

6. Notebook won't be hot as a furnace and roast your balls

Yeah the e-GPU is an external solution but come on let's be real here for a minute, many of you with these beastly rigs have 2 x 330W PSUs hooked up to them which are enormous. Those would also be eliminated as you'd have a small compact PSU for the notebook and one for the e-GPU. If you travel you may have to lug an extra piece of equipment around but that's not really a big deal considering these "notebooks" aren't exactly travel friendly in the first place. Personally, as a enthusiast, I want a thin profile notebook w/a desktop CPU in it and 120 Hz IPS display that has TB3 which is compatible with any eGPU I connect to it, I think that is the real future of laptop gaming.

I asked for advice in many discussions, to find information about trying the eGPU option with my P570WM along with GTX 1080 using the Express card slot in the front, I didn't find any confirmation that convince me to take the risk to invest and buy all parts needed. I can be the 1st one to do it, but I can't without a complete guidance and direction from our senior members in this regards.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Fortunately for now the market for the 1% enthusiast like you that want what you listed still exists. But for how much longer is the real question? If Clevo begins to retreat from upgradeable notebooks then it should be a signal to everyone that the ship has sailed for those type of notebooks because we certainly can't count on the likes of Dell and others to deliver. Speaking of lugging around these powerbooks, I think it would be interesting to put up a poll that asks AW 18/Clevo/MSI Titan owners (if any exist) how often they take their notebooks away from their desks. 

It could be interesting to know those metrics just for shits and giggles, but I doubt it would change anything regardless of their responses. I think it's probably safe to say people that own machines like these do so because they want to. They value them for what they are and there is no need for further explanation. They want what they want. Period. End of discussion. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Taking whatever slop gets slinged your way as a compromise is a sad situation for anyone to find themselves.

For me it was excessive business travel that originally created the need. I no longer have that as a compelling basis for my need because my travel is infrequent. But, my choice is still the same. I value the mobility whether that means 10 feet or 10 hours away from my desk. After spending a 12 hour day at my desk, I don't have any desire to spend my off-work time in the same place. But, I also don't want to use a turdbook. I don't place any value on something on the basis of it being adequate. Part of my pleasure is derived from the glory of excess. It's really no different than a passion for gun collections, collecting butterflies or stamps, owning monster trucks, muscle cars, street rods, motorcycles, bicycle riding, camping and other things that allow people to enjoy life to its fullest. Try to take those things away from the people that love them and you'll have a raging blood bath on your hands. They don't care about the logic and will tell us to stuff it up our ass if we ask them for a business case to justify their basis for being able to continue to enjoy those things.

18 hours ago, Solo wing said:

It's very disgusting what's happening to the computer industry. We have one company controlling GPUs, other controlling CPUs, and OEMs who's only wish is cutting costs and filling their pockets.
I won't hold my breath for AMD either, It's a lost cause brothers. Lost cause indeed. (4870x2 was my last AMD product, it performed great,  doubling the  E bill and almost setting the house on fire )
I SAY LET IT ROT/RUST. 
Desktop is the to go, until they start forcing BGA down our necks, and ditching standard/reference designs and extesnions.
@Mr. Fox @J95 @ssj92 @Prema & other mates. My condolences guys, it's an outrage owning an ultra expensive machine that lost it's potential in less than a few months.  

Clevo 1080

Clevo_1080.PNG

MSI 1080

1081.PNG

Cutting corners, besides the obvious Cubist adventure *Duchamp* Gone, gone, gone missing Inductors, Caps and MOSFETs...filling pockets. Hopefully MSI's 1080 won't include this wonderful EC feature.

Lesson learned: don't trust Clevo with anything beyond 1K.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Founder
56 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It could be interesting to know those metrics just for shits and giggles, but I doubt it would change anything regardless of their responses. I think it's probably safe to say people that own machines like these do so because they want to. They value them for what they are and there is no need for further explanation. They want what they want. Period. End of discussion. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Taking whatever slop gets slinged your way as a compromise is a sad situation for anyone to find themselves.

For me it was excessive business travel that originally created the need. I no longer have that as a compelling basis for my need because my travel is infrequent. But, my choice is still the same. I value the mobility whether that means 10 feet or 10 hours away from my desk. After spending a 12 hour day at my desk, I don't have any desire to spend my off-work time in the same place. But, I also don't want to use a turdbook. I don't place any value on something on the basis of it being adequate. Part of my pleasure is derived from the glory of excess. It's really no different than a passion for gun collections, collecting butterflies or stamps, owning monster trucks, muscle cars, street rods, motorcycles, bicycle riding, camping and other things that allow people to enjoy life to its fullest. Try to take those things away from the people that love them and you'll have a raging blood bath on your hands. They don't care about the logic and will tell us to stuff it up our ass if we ask them for a business case to justify their basis for being able to continue to enjoy those things.

Ideally it would be nice if garbage hardware didn't exist but it does. With the market deviating away from discrete solutions to more integrated ones, I think it's inevitable we'll eventually see large and heavy notebooks disappear. In fact, I think the next thing on the chopping block are socketed CPUs for desktops as we'll probably start seeing Intel + motherboard manufacturers colluding to create soldered shit that is sold in expensive price tiers. Hopefully AMD at least gets it act together with Zen on the desktop side and starts giving Intel some pushback. It would also be nice if by some miracle AMD started pushing MXM again and introduced RX480 and above to compete against NVIDIA, at least one can dream but I'm highly skeptical. 

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, J95 said:

Clevo 1080

Clevo_1080.PNG

MSI 1080

1081.PNG

Cutting corners, besides the obvious Cubist adventure *Duchamp* Gone, gone, gone...missing Inductors, Caps and MOSFETs...filling pockets. Hopefully MSI's 1080 doesn't include this wonderful EC feature.

Indeed. There are massive differences between them. It's a shame the stupid dorks at MSI only offer garbage BGA CPUs in their laptops.

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

Ideally it would be nice if garbage hardware didn't exist but it does. With the market deviating away from discrete solutions to more integrated ones, I think it's inevitable we'll eventually see large and heavy notebooks disappear. In fact, I think the next thing on the chopping block are socketed CPUs for desktops as we'll probably start seeing Intel + motherboard manufacturers colluding to create soldered shit that is sold in expensive price tiers. Hopefully AMD at least gets it act together with Zen on the desktop side and starts giving Intel some pushback. It would also be nice if by some miracle AMD started pushing MXM again and introduced RX480 and above to compete against NVIDIA, at least one can dream but I'm highly skeptical. 

I agree with you. Very high possibility that could happen. This is one of the reasons for my vehement objection and constant rage against BGA filth. If we give these scrotum lickers from Intel and NVIDIA an inch they will take a mile. I think they are testing the waters to see how far they can push the envelope on filth. The good life as we know it hangs in the balance with so many gamer-boy pussies and their Facebook friends willing to embrace BGA jokebook filth. The same stupid little bastards are allowed to vote and breed, so it's not going to get better without a fight. We should start a benevolence fund to give all of them free lobotomies. I ran out of likes for the day, so I'll have to bring some back later.

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Indeed. There are massive differences between them. It's a shame the stupid dorks at MSI only offer garbage BGA CPUs in their laptops.

Yeah, I want the card not the laptop. Although MSI understood pretty quick the importance of GPU Upgradability, they're still lousy in the CPU department, incl their ultra-restrictive warranty policy.

Greedy bastards, done with laptops.

Hmm... AMD is a joke. I'm not sure why we have a new question about Polaris in a Pascal poll. I would be looking to upgrade my P870DM-G, not downgrade it. Leaving laptops and going back to desktops is a far better option than accepting anemic trash from AMD. I think adding that question is a serious mistake. It gives Clevo some wiggle room and they don't deserve that. Unless or until AMD releases a 1080 SLI killer, they have no horse in this race. They are losers.

Honestly,  i travel each week for my work, so i'm often in hotel room. An e-gpu is not an acceptable solution for me. I enjoyed the most to think i was able to take a descent gaming and future-proof platform with me.

Even if we were abandoned by Clevo like Alienware did, i will probably buy a BGA-nonsense laptop in a future upgrade: and if i have to do this, i promise, it will be not a Clevo!

• Thumbs Up 1

AMD seems to always be a day late and a dollar short. For anyone that has a P870DM-G with 980M SLI or a 200W GTX 980 AMD's best for 2016 is a downgrade. They are entering the game with 2014-era performance grade. If their Polaris MXM GPUs don't overclock well, then they don't even qualify at 2014 performance levels.

I sincerely want them to do better, but I am not willing to support their incompetence with my wallet. If they actually do great things the money will follow naturally and automatically. They will still need to deal with skepticism due to their poor track record.

13 hours ago, Brian said:

Problem is, they could have kept the ship sailing for much longer. But with the amount of customers they are about to loose because of the shenanigans they just pulled. Might as well call it quits right now.

11 hours ago, J95 said:

Clevo 1080

Clevo_1080.PNG

MSI 1080

1081.PNG

Cutting corners, besides the obvious Cubist adventure *Duchamp* Gone, gone, gone missing Inductors, Caps and MOSFETs...filling pockets. Hopefully MSI's 1080 won't include this wonderful EC feature.

Very true, not sure why there are so many components missing on the Clevo cards, this is to hoping the MSI cards are usable in our P870DM-G. At least with a BIOS update. But then again, they will need a entirely custom heat sink .

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2016 at 2:27 AM, Z3us said:

Anyone heard rumors about Clevo, that they plannig to releas upgrade kits on September/October? Maybe not everything lost yet about 1060/1070/1080 upgrades?

I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 3:20 AM, J95 said:

Yeah, I want the card not the laptop. Although MSI understood pretty quick the importance of GPU Upgradability, they're still lousy in the CPU department, incl their ultra-restrictive warranty policy.

Greedy bastards, done with laptops.

Yeah, it is really sad how bad things are now... almost everything available to buy new now is a piece of garbage. I would not consider buying any new model of "high performance" or "gaming" laptop now except for the P870DM3 and there is no telling whether they will keep on monkeying around with GPUs to interfere with future upgrades or what. I am very disgusted with the state of notebooks overall now. Without a fully unlocked CPU mounted in socket, I really don't care how nice the rest of the machine might be. It doesn't matter, because BGA filth ruins everything as far as I am concerned. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 2:32 AM, Mr. Fox said:

Yeah, it is really sad how bad things are now... almost everything available to buy new now is a piece of garbage. I would not consider buying any new model of "high performance" or "gaming" laptop now except for the P870DM3 and there is no telling whether they will keep on monkeying around with GPUs to interfere with future upgrades or what. I am very disgusted with the state of notebooks overall now. Without a fully unlocked CPU mounted in socket, I really don't care how nice the rest of the machine might be. It doesn't matter, because BGA filth ruins everything as far as I am concerned. 

Its look like you are extra pissed off lately, I bought AW 18 on April 2015, Im pretty much in the same. Anyways, what is your recommendation on the current situation? I can sell the laptop for a good price (2000$ if Im lucky). I do currently have a haswell desktop with a decent asus motherboard in it. Should I wait for a custom built 1080 GTX MXM card? OR simply switch to the desktop route. 

I sincerely love my Alienware, both internally and externally. 

Regards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, devilhunter said:

Its look like you are extra pissed off lately, I bought AW 18 on April 2015, Im pretty much in the same. Anyways, what is your recommendation on the current situation? I can sell the laptop for a good price (2000$ if Im lucky). I do currently have a haswell desktop with a decent asus motherboard in it. Should I wait for a custom built 1080 GTX MXM card? OR simply switch to the desktop route. 

I sincerely love my Alienware, both internally and externally. 

Regards. 

If you do not want or cannot afford a P870DM3 then I would recommend going back to desktop and totally abandoning laptops. I would say that it would be smart to sell the AW18 while it still works and has some value.

Based on the experience I had with the Sky X9 and my own P870DM-G, I would say that you don't know what you're missing out on. I really loved all of my Alienware machines. The P570WM and especially the P870DM-G caused me to totally lose all interest in them. Of course, Alienware being what they are today (soldered turdbook filth peddlers) leaves us with zero hope for an acceptable future and that probably played a huge part in building the utter contempt I have for them now.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

If you do not want or cannot afford a P870DM3 then I would recommend going back to desktop and totally abandoning laptops. I would say that it would be smart to sell the AW18 while it still works and has some value.

Based on the experience I had with the Sky X9 and my own P870DM-G, I would say that you don't know what you're missing out on. I really loved all of my Alienware machines. The P570WM and especially the P870DM-G caused me to totally lose all interest in them. Of course, Alienware being what they are today (soldered turdbook filth peddlers) leaves us with zero hope for an acceptable future and that probably played a huge part in building the utter contempt I have for them now.

The new AW (2016+) is a complete shit, no body can deny it. the problem with desktop is it is not an option for those who travel long distances or need portable machines for work. 

I believe they cant last long on BGA gaming machine, the reason is cpu,gpu die will eventually be disconnected from the board due to thermal fatigue. In other words, the frequent temp change on solder balls will eventually break them and then the laptop would be bricked eventually. Such behavior can be observed in ps3,xbox 360, ps4. BGA gaming laptops will never last if the devices are operating in 70-80C 

Edited by devilhunter