[P650RE6] Electrical Noise from CPU and DC charger connecter

Pirilampus

Good Night everyone,

First of all I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but it's my first post here.

So, last July I bought a P650RE6 with these specs:
-> i7 6700HQ;

-> nvidia gtx 970m;

-> 16 Gb DDR4;

-> 240 Gb SSD.

In the first days of use, the laptop worked like a charm. Everything runned smoothly, low temps, no anormal noise, everything was ok.
But after a week, I noticed that the laptop was getting some temperatures that weren't normal. So I returned to the store, they saw that the temperatures weren't normal and replaced the thermal paste.

I came back home and everything was fine again.

In the next day, I noticed on a static noise that I could ear when writing an email, moving my mouse, scrolling on facebook, etc. That electrostatic noise some people say that is normal, that is coil whine, but it appeared out of no where and that was really strange to me. Why did on the first days no noise like that exists, but after replacing thermal paste the noise appeared?

So, I couldn't find an answer, and the noise is something like this video (in my case is quieter):

After aproximately 1 month, my laptop started to make another kind of electrical noise, now coming from the motherboard where the AC-DC charger is connected. That noise only happens when the discrete GPU is working, either playing a soft game like Minecraft, or a more demanding one like Overwatch. In any case, the noise is different from program to program. The noise is something like in this video: 

So I returned to the store, and we basically took another brand new two P650, and inserted my original DD4 RAM, Wifi connector, keyboard and SSD.
In all of them, they had the same behavior. The only common link between the three, it's the DD4 RAM, Wifi connector, keyboard and SSD.

In the store they say that in other P650 that they build, any of them had this kind of anormal noises. So I can't figure out what it is.

We even tested with 1 DD4 RAM at a time, and noise was still there. But we didn't test the SSD. So can this related to the SSD? Can the SSD be the reason for the CPU and GPU noise? Can the reason be related to another part (like DD4 RAM or wifi connecter or either the laptop keyboard)?

Many thanks for your help, and I'm really sorry if I couldn't be more explicit in my problem.

Edited by Pirilampus

• 3 weeks later...

Got little similiar problem on my p751dm2, its probably coil whining - and yea also have it sometime when I'm on full load while my dc is plugged in, tho there is one funny thing - sometimes it stops and then it starts again but then noise come from different side of pc, although whats really funny that after dc stops whining, 2 other sources starts it... and now to the funnies point - 1 source it's backlight of my keyboard, second source HDD condition led since noise sounds are in hand with it...

Didn't find any proper solution yet, but hope will get it fixed since it's maybe not a minor problem but while doing some quiet internet stuff when fans are almost off this is really noticeable and annoying..

Edited by darthbercik

Sometimes coil whining can occur due to high IPS: in some non-demanding games, when AC plugged, the GPU renders as much as images per second it can, that's when you may have noise. I had this in Diablo 3.

Do you have V-sync on? if no, try it, or if option exists, limit the maximum IPS of the game. You will gain in temperature at least...