GTX 970M Black Screen in Windows 10

Hi,

Long time member and even longer a lurker. I've modded and OC'ed various GPU's using the vbios' shared in the forums, however I'm having problem with the 970M 3gb, which I've gathered recently from ebay. I hope it hasn't been asked a zillion times.

I bought a 970M 3gb model which goes by the model name MS-1W0J1, and been trying to get it working on an Alienware M18x r2. I've successfully installed the card and it seemed to work plug and play. The card is recognised by BIOS and I get video output in startup menus, both in EFI and LEGACY modes(I'm using Swick's latest bios for this model).

However, there seems to be a problem when installing the Geforce drivers(both 380&390) in Windows 10, as the screen goes black instantly when the driver has been updated. I can't get any video output in Windows, and the only option is to switch to integrated card and remove the drivers.

I've seen different mods and modded vbios' for 970M cards, but none seems to be for the 3gb model. I wonder if there is a way to set-up this card on this hardware and flash a compatible CLEVO vbios to get it running without issues. Current vBIOS is attached.

Thanks in advance,

Wejgomi

GM204.rom

Edited by wejgomi
Bios added

You could ask for a 3GB version in the corresponding Maxwell VBIOS thread. Anyway, I would recommend you to uninstall all VGA drivers of both the iGPU and the nvida drivers, then freshly installing the iGPU drivers first followed by nvidia drivers.

49 minutes ago, sirana said:

You could ask for a 3GB version in the corresponding Maxwell VBIOS thread. Anyway, I would recommend you to uninstall all VGA drivers of both the iGPU and the nvida drivers, then freshly installing the iGPU drivers first followed by nvidia drivers.

Thanks for your reply. I tried uninstalling both drivers using DDU to no avail. I already have the iGPU disabled in BIOS and soon as I re-install the drivers using modified inf, the screen goes black again. I believe this is not a driver-related issue as I have tried other OS'es as ubuntu and OSX, yet the problem persists.

4 hours ago, wejgomi said:

Thanks for your reply. I tried uninstalling both drivers using DDU to no avail. I already have the iGPU disabled in BIOS and soon as I re-install the drivers using modified inf, the screen goes black again. I believe this is not a driver-related issue as I have tried other OS'es as ubuntu and OSX, yet the problem persists.

Well, I am 99% sure you MUST have the iGPU enabled, install Intel HD drivers, then install Nvidia's GeForce drivers. As far as I know it has always been this way with Optimus-Notebooks. Without the Intel HD drivers nothing works :D

The m18x R2 can choose between the igpu (called IGFX in bios) and dgpu (called PEG in bios) as the primary gpu. What is it currently set to?

Ideally you want the bios set to PEG for optimal performance, and if I remember right there's a bios issue that makes PEG only work in UEFI boot.

If PEG doesn't work though, then try IGFX

Yes, the GFX setting is set to PEG and I'm booting Windows 10 in UEFI mode. What's weird is after many restarts, the screen came up in Windows randomly. I'm not sure if everything is OK now and bit afraid to restart again to try, but I guess I'm having the issue of black screen after cold boot/hibernate which has been discussed in some topics.

I am running 369.0 drivers with modified .inf(else won't install) and I also tried the GFX setting in AUTO mode but same result. Thanks.

Edit: No, the problem is actually the opposite. I still get the same black screen no matter how I cold/hot boot or restart and the trick is to let the computer go to sleep and when it wakes up, it comes back with the screen. Go figure :)

Edited by wejgomi
New argument