Hi guys need some assistance.

Hi guys, I got invoved 1 weak ago in this eGPU thing. So I read almost non stop about this tiny tool. So I'm a student, who needs laptop for basic collage tasks but sometime for some gamming to. As a student I'm almost broke af and can not affort a new laptop. So thats why I'm here. I have some basic questions 1. Whats the max bandwight that I can reach? (forgot to mantion that my laptop is HP G62 with upgraded CPU to i7 620M,128GB SSD 850 evo,HDD 1TB WD,RAM 8GB DDR3,DGPU Ati Radeon5470m and HD4000 *I'm not sure about that one because I have disabled it from the BIOS long time ago because I had problems with the autoswiching* pretty much thats it) 2. I see lot of ppl chouse Nvidia instead of ATI, why do they do it? 3. I play basic games like LOL, GTA5 and pretty I have no chance to test nothin else. For those that would advice me to get a PC RIG - I had one not long time ago but I sold it cuz I need portable machine. Anyways I still keep serching for some usefull information about this whole thing. At the end I'd to ask if the whole thing just worth the money? 
P.S my questions might sounds stupid to most of you, but every singe pro here made their step somehow so please don't judge me.

P.S2 Just to make sure Ive uploaded the diagram of my laptop (not sure if this is how its called :D )

STAR_Federer_1.1.png

Edited by rradij

Hi@rradij, from what i've found

The only option to add eGPU for you laptop is thru it's mPCIE and removed your wifi card. You should check with your chosen eGPU products that support your laptop.

Bandwidth and GPU manufacturer is all depends on the whole config/setup. But AMD Drivers makes it harder to run eGPU along side with iGPU. Depends on your OS.

You can find@Tech Inferno Fan 's complete solution regarding which OS and Drivers. Or using his Setup 1.x

My Lenovo W520 laptop is the same manufacture date with yours, 2010-2011, at that time most PCI Express build with Gen 1 and limited to x1 link speed.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 2013 15inch, but i prefer to make a good use of my old 2010 laptop with eGPU. And it worked fantastic.

ps: i believe your laptop is originally AMD based, and you swap with Intel i7, so your iGPU & dGPU conflicting?

@ssamydla Actually no. My hp came with intel i3 i330m by HP. The both video cards weren't conflicting at all. It was some buggy situation in the change driver. So it had to use intel graphics in battery mode as less power consumtion and AMD when the cord is plugged in.

At the end does it worth the money (near by 300$) for x1 link speed?

1. "Beast-a" - 30$
2. Egpu Gtx 970 - 200$
3. PSU - 30-40$

this is the conf that I'm looking for..

P.s Why most of the ppl chouse Nvidia instead of AMD?

Edited by rradij

Usually Nvidia cards are more power efficient, but I dont think going for a 970 is the best ideia, I would settle for a 960/R9 380, you will be limited by both CPU(its just a dual core) and by the link speed, dont expect to fully utilize a 970, I would go for a much cheaper 960 or a r9 380, also buy a QUALITY brand name PSU, dont cheap out for a no name one just because it says 600Watts..

Something like a XFX 420Watts or a Seasonic SII 500Watts will set you with a decent PSU, the seasonic is a bit quieter than the XFX's.