2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Windows 10

I am closing in on finishing my first eGPU project, so I thought I would share it. I'm currently waiting on my super low profile PCIe adapter to come in so I can put the case on. I put a Zotac 1060 Mini in it and it fits perfectly. I've hooked this to my MBPr 15" w/ 750m and have not had too many issues getting it working. Basically just run the integrated graphics bat, disable 750m, reboot, hook up eGPU at bootloader, hibernate, boot again. Hibernation is to eliminate the 20% processor usage by the Intel Graphics driver.

Comments are above images...

It's also scratched up from where I had it while drilling through it, but all that will be hidden by the case and/or touched up.

On the front, I drilled a 5/8" hole to put this latching button w/ LED through. The hole is through the front cover and the front case. This latching button is connected to the remote pin on the Dell DA-2 and ground. LED power is provided by the Thunder2 board.

20160804_202304.jpg

Here's my Zotac in use. The two female connectors you see are reserved for a case fan should I ever desire to use one. The 6 pins for PCIe power are soldered to the 6 +12v and Ground pins of the DA-2 and then wrapped in heat shrink tube. The black braided wire that is soldered in with these 6 is the power feed back to the Thunder2 barrel. The one piece of heat shrink tube that is sticking up is the single unused pin for the DA-2 PSU. It's listed as "sense", but I kept it incase I ever needed it for some reason. If you look closely, you can see where I trimmed out an L shape from the metal bracket of the GPU so the 10 cables could fit through the back of the chassis.

20160804_202313.jpg

Here you can see where I drilled a large hole in the bottom of the case to bring the 8 pin in and the barrel back out. The barrel is just looped around back into the Thunder2.

20160804_202631.jpg

And finally, here is the outside case that I drilled through with an 88mm hole saw. Now I just need to touch up those scratches.

20160804_203429.jpg

Very neat! The power button on the front of the Akito is inspired.

Being a total noob tyying to get my head around all this stuff, I don't understand the exact technical details of how you hooked it all up to the Dell power supply but it looks like you did a great job.

How is the stability of it under windows 10?

Edited by shopkeeper

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP GT750M + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Windows 10