Using eGPU with lid closed in Windows 10

Boykodev

Is there a way to use eGPU on external display with lid closed in Windows 10?

Because if I close the lid now, the system starts lagging badly.

Even simple animations like opening a folder or making a selection with a mouse are dramatically slow.

How to eliminate this performance drop, when closing a lid?

18 hours ago, bootleg2580 said:

You can try changing what function happens when the lid is closed, (i.e) do nothing, sleep, hibernate etc) or there should be an option on your display itself on your comouter like 1 1&2 or 2 just use 2 not 1&2

"what function happens when the lid is closed " is already on "do nothing".

If I choose "Show only on 2" the effect is identical if I close the lid - eGPU becoming the only display, but lagging badly.

I think this lagging issue also happened to my eGPU setup before.

Try to "Restart" your laptop when the lid is closed and let the video driver load completely and now you should be good to go.

This restarting method works for me and hope it also works for your eGPU setup. :) 

10 hours ago, bcw448 said:

Try to "Restart" your laptop when the lid is closed and let the video driver load completely and now you should be good to go.

This restarting method works for me and hope it also works for your eGPU setup. :) 

If I restart it with a lid closed, animation goes smoothly for a few minutes, but then its all lagging again.

But sometimes when system loads, for some unknown reason eGPU becomes the only visible "Display adapter" in the Device manager.

Then it never lags, neither with closed lid or opened lid. The downside is that because internal card wasn't detected, I can't see anything on the Macbook's screen itself.

12 hours ago, bcw448 said:

Your "Restart" method actually worked for me the next time.

Device manager had both of adapters listed.

Not very convenient to do an additional restart tbh, but it works. Thanks!

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Boykodev said:

How to eliminate this performance drop, when closing a lid?\

Apart from the restart, you could also remove the magnet from behind the display bezel. This triggers the reed-switch that tells the system 'display = closed'. Of course, the backlight would remain on (and draw a little power), but at least there'll be no more shenanigans with any software, regardless os, as to what 'consumer-friendly' power saving features to use when there's no internal screen in a view-able position.

1063_66_98.jpg

Edited by H658tu

7 hours ago, H658tu said:

Apart from the restart, you could also remove the magnet from behind the display bezel. This triggers the reed-switch that tells the system 'display = closed'. Of course, the backlight would remain on (and draw a little power), but at least there'll be no more shenanigans with any software, regardless os, as to what 'consumer-friendly' power saving features to use when there's no internal screen in a view-able position.

1063_66_98.jpg

I am not so hardcore to tear apart my MacBook..))

I guess there's no software way to disable it?