Intel NUC6i7KYK + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [benjaminlsr]

17 hours ago, Splitframe said:

@benjaminlsr @bloodhawk

Does one of you have the chance to test the AKiTiO Thunder3 / Inxtron TB3 on an XPS 15 / 13?

Edit:

Also Benjaminlsr would you say that a 200mm ( your zotacis 174mm ) could fit inside if you remove the little fan at the end?

And how long could the card be if you would cut a rectangular hole into the plate where the little fan currently sits, so that the
card would reach all the way to the front? another 20mm? If you could measure the exact length that would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When i first placed my order a few weeks back, they cancelled it stating it wasnt available. So i went ahead ordered the Inxtron TB3 HDK, which is pretty much the same as the Akitio. 

It should ship next week, since some New Moon thing is going on where they are based and the offices are closed.

Will keep you guys posted.

5 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

When i first placed my order a few weeks back, they cancelled it stating it wasnt available. So i went ahead ordered the Inxtron TB3 HDK, which is pretty much the same as the Akitio. 

It should ship next week, since some New Moon thing is going on where they are based and the offices are closed.

Will keep you guys posted.

I appreciate the response, but it doesn't really answer my question :x 

7 hours ago, Splitframe said:

I appreciate the response, but it doesn't really answer my question :x 

Well, i have seen people using the Razer Core on the XPS 15, so the Akitio TB3 shouldn't be an issue either.

These just became available recently, so it will be a while before people actually test them out.

Edited by bloodhawk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:36 PM, bloodhawk said:

Well, i have seen people using the Razer Core on the XPS 15, so the Akitio TB3 shouldn't be an issue either.

These just became available recently, so it will be a while before people actually test them out.

I'm sorry, but I'm a little at a loss here, that still does not answer my question.

Do you own an XPS 13/15 to test your arriving eGPU Box with or
know someone that would let you test it on or do you not?

It's really just a yes or no question.

Edited by Splitframe

I have an XPS 15 9550 and an Akitio Thunder2 hosting a Zotac GTX 1060.

I bought a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter from Amazon and it will arrive on the 30th.

I know it's not an Akitio Thunder3, but since they are still pretty new and availability is still on/off, this is the next best thing.

Will post my results when I receive it.

Cheers!

Rene

11 hours ago, Splitframe said:

I'm sorry, but I'm a little at a loss here, that still does not answer my question.

Do you own an XPS 13/15 to test your arriving eGPU Box with or
know someone that would let you test it on or do you not?

It's really just a yes or no question.

With that attitude, keep asking asking around.

I actually have the Akitio TB3 Box, the TB3 HDK and access to a Razer core and access to a XPS 15. 

Edited by bloodhawk

3 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

I actually have the Akitio TB3 Box, the TB3 HDK and access to a Razer core and access to a XPS 15. 

I am sorry if it came out rude and I don't want to start a
meta discussion, about... well discussion, in this thread.

I really appreciate the other info as well, but still you failed to
answer the starting question and the 2nd answer sounded more like
you don't have access to one, hence I followed up on it.

I hope to see your experience report and  benchmarks in the near future!

Edited by Splitframe

3 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

Hey, the TB3 HDK is basically just the inner motherboard right ? Do you have pictures of it ? Thanks :)

Yeap. Its the exact same thing, They just have changed the Device ID / Name. And from the port layout on the eGFX Box (Node), its seems like that also might have the same thing. Just with a different firmware. 

Here is a quick picture, ill get you better ones later on tonight once im back from work.

lIAxERU.jpg

QCQzdak.jpg

Also InXtron seems to be Akitio's parent company / ODM ? And caters to commercial clients rather than end users.

19 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

Hey, the TB3 HDK is basically just the inner motherboard right ? Do you have pictures of it ? Thanks :)

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is definitely a bottle neck because of the available TB3 bandwidth. But hey, from 12k base score to 18k. Not bad.
Also the 1080 would not work with the @j95 driver, no matter what. I haven't tried installing the driver after connecting the 1080 though.
Initial Test (TB3 HDK + Strix 1080) :

U8PrfT3.png
cd88dbd76327351788610caf616995aa.jpg

But once you connect using the eGPU, you can freely switch using the NVIDIA dialogue.
TdCtAfp.png

"Ghetto Setup" http://imgur.com/a/iYBKZ

EC/980 Loosing its mind  :
f3d7e5e68c1aec272540c3ca329c7057.png

Edited by bloodhawk

• 5 weeks later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Intel NUC6i7KYK + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [benjaminlsr]

I'm now working on getting more fresh air on my Thunder3 chassis.

1. I ordered some dissipators and applied them to the Thunder3 PCB.
  2. I drilled the front face of the chassis and fixed two 60mm NF-A6X25 FLX fans.
    For them to turn at full speed, you may want to unsoldered the two little "things" near the FAN connector and solder a bridge using a wire for it to distribute 12v.
    Now I have two fans running full power and I find it really noisy...
  3. Next step is to use two NF-A6x25 PWM instead and use the 4 pins connector to connect those fans to the GPU fan using the PWM wire.
    If I'm right, my two fans should turn at the same speed as the one on the GPU. (goal is to reduce noise when GPU isn't turning fullspeed).

Stay tuned !

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Here we are ! Modded the two NF-A6x25 PWM for them to share wires (12v, GND, PWM).

Then used a removable wire going from the GPU fan connector to the blue fan wire.

All fans are now synced so no useless noise.

Any comments ? :)

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by benjaminlsr
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very nice.  Notcua makes some of the best fans.  It wasn't clear from your post, but are the Noctua fans running on the same PWM signal as the GPU fan?  So, they spin up and down along with the GPU fan?  

Edited by Runamok81

1 hour ago, Runamok81 said:

Very nice.  Notcua makes some of the best fans.  It wasn't clear from your post, but are the Noctua fans running on the same PWM signal as the GPU fan?  So, they spin up and down along with the GPU fan?  

From the pictures, it looks like he is using the PWM signal from the GPU and power from the fan connector. 

So the Noctua fans run on the same PWM signal. If they maintain the same RPM or not will depend if the RPM of the Noctua's is the same as that of the GPU fan.

Hey guys, you're both right.

I'm powering the two fans from the internal FAN connector after I removed the two small capacitors.

I'm hooking the PWM signal from the GPU and send it to the two fans.

They might not be turning at the same RPM but at least they're both doing same level of noise.

14 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

Hey guys, you're both right.

I'm powering the two fans from the internal FAN connector after I removed the two small capacitors.

I'm hooking the PWM signal from the GPU and send it to the two fans.

They might not be turning at the same RPM but at least they're both doing same level of noise.

Why are the Noctuas blowing air into the case though?
The way it is now you compress the air pushed from the
GPU cooler and the Noctuas between the two.
If you would flip them you'd have a flow from the side window to the front.

Edited by Splitframe
a letter

6 hours ago, benjaminlsr said:

Well that's a good question... I installed the two fans like the original akitio fan was.

I must admit I don't know much about air flow, maybe you're right and I should extract the flow instead on sending fresh air from the front.

Getting good airflow can be lots of fun.  I agree with Splitframe, flip the fans.   Pull air in with the GPU fan and exhaust it with the Noctuas.   Your tempratures should improve.  Speaking of tempratures, can you give us some numbers?  I'm curious about the performance with and without the Noctuas.  I good test is to measure the max temperature after 3 runs of Unigine.   You can use a GPU overclocking tool (MSI Afterburner, etc..) to get fan speed and temperature measurements. 

I would love to know the temps, with and without added fans.  Thank you.

Oh, and so happy to see these modifications!  Nice work. 

Edited by Runamok81

@benjaminlsr, Each GPU manufacturer has their own overclocking software.  They are all free.  MSI's Afterburner tool is widely considered the best.  It should work just fine.  If not, since you have a Zotac card, right?  Give Zotac firestorm a try.   These overclocking tools ARE cross compatible.  Good luck, let us know how the testing goes!  Interested to see the results.

Edited by Runamok81

Yeah I got this but I don't remember seeing a stability tool in the Firestorm software from ZOTAC.

Following your advise I drew this wonderful picture and posted it on twitter to get more opinions. It appears you were all right and I should really reverse the fan flow to get the hot air away and create a depression that will force fresh air inside. Again, update to be expected by EOD.

eGPU.png

Edited by benjaminlsr