2014 Mac Mini + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.11 (single power mod) [ikir]

Hi all! Still work in progress, i will publish photos soon.

Mac mini 2014 - i5 2,8Ghz

16GB RAM

512GB PCIe blade SSD

960GB SanDisk Ultra2 SSD sata3

Just a quick benchmark for show you 15x increase performance!!!

Valley 4K high 2x

iris 5100 integrated: fps 1.9 score 78

Nvidia GTX 970 AKitio: fps 32.4 score 1357

updste: selling it at 550€!

macmini2014_nvidiagtx970.png

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2249.JPG

final result!

Edited by ikir
photos added!
  • Thumbs Up 3

@lucas979797 Yes, do you still need it? It runs in 4K on a LG UltraWide. 2xAA?

And finally photos of my implementation (did with a friend of mine who is a super expert)

Just one plug for power, a frontal fan and connected the PCIe power with one cable

The box works ok closed thank to a new 1cm fan in the front of the box. Anyway its get too hot so i'm planning to put bigger fan in the gfx card and makes big holes in the chassis.

Edited by ikir

From the ATX plug the Dell-AC2 power the graphics card, the frontal fan and also the Akitio box. Soldering is needed, we removed the barrel and powered the akitio motherboard directly

Edited by ikir

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ikir said:

If anyone is interested i'm selling my beloved eGPU for 650€

One cable for power, all inside AKitio, modded 970 4GB.

How is easy is to to replace the 970 with a newer/better GFX card when the time comes to upgrade?

Hi! But it not so easy because i modify the powerplug pciexpress to be lateral. So with a newer card you should solder the pic power plugs like the second image. Very easy. The only card would fit this would be 1060 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to (on sale) 2014 Mac Mini + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.11 (single power mod) [ikir]
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I come from China. my egpu GTX660 + 2015  15 "is MBP Iris. My OS is 10.11.6 my video card driver doesn't under MAC osx, but modified file has been identified is GTX660 2 gb. Graphics display is connected HDMI but no response,  could you tell me what to do. Very afflictive recently. Thank you very much