eGPU freezes under a smallest load

Boykodev

I have a setup almost identical to this build:

1. AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box
2. EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti with G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit, Dual-Link
3. GameMax GM450 OEM (GM-450) - 450W power supply
4. Macbook Pro Retina 13 (2013)

I installed the latest drivers from the EVGA website. I connected external display via HDMI and can see my card in Device Manager.

The problem is under a smallest load (starting a game or Unigine Heaven test), the whole system freezes, picture from the external display disappears, although fan on graphic card is still going.

Any ideas how this can be fixed? I took power from the Molex connector. Could that be the problem?

Edited by Boykodev
add details

1. GPU doesn't have a 6 pin on it. Actually this particular card does not require additional power.

2. Yes, I applied the paperclip trick. Fan on PSU is working.

3. To power both Akitio and GPU I took power from Molex connector (4 pin) directly to Akitio's barrel plug slot.

47 minutes ago, simon753 said:

I have the same problem, you can try underclock your cpu a bit and do benchmark again to see if it would freeze or not, if it does just underclock a bit more. 

I will tell you what I figured so far. This is definitely a power problem.

I tested the voltage that goes to the eGPU. The moment I launch a 3D app - it drops from 12v to 11.2v

Probably the reason that 450W power supply can't handle the load, is this:

https://brazenartifice.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/atx-power-supply-5v-load-resistor-for-better-12v-regulation/

Let me know if you managed to do this "5V resistor" trick.

I myself don't want to bother by this and be getting a new power supply tomorrow, that doesn't require these manipulations.

On 7/28/2016 at 4:45 PM, simon753 said:

But actually I have a 850W power supply, and the problem is still there, I would try to do the tricks you told me, fingers crossed :)

Got myself a 400W power supply that outputs 12V only. It looks something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Switching-Switch-Supply-Driver/dp/B00L316X7E

Works fine. No more freezes. The only problem is that its fan is pretty loud and distracting.

did u had molex to barel adapter ? If yes ! There must be a problem!!!  Looks like tons of people do this molex to barrel adapter and suffer from not stable gpu! But from what can i see suffer mostly people who actually need 75w or so from pcie. 

I had original akittio power adapter , solidgear 450w and thermaltek 600w. 

Both 450 and 600w  had barel adapter to dual molex . 

Zotac 750ti in bios its 38w max

Evga 750ti in bios 58w max

When Both of the psu with molex to barel

for my surprize evga shuts down during the load ! Furmark will make it panic..

Original 60w akittio all work like a charm but i can hear the card hungry for power.. 

Zotac works on both setups remmeber its 38w. So i had to dig !

Just take a look at ur typical molex connector ! It has this 5v! 

Look at ur 8pin pcie! Does it ? ;)

Iread somewhere that this lines arent made to have a stable 12v without 5v .

i guess someone can explain this .....

i remmeber working as IT and we had this workstations with like 10 hdds and i used ibm only hdd that days and i had power failures with high quality power supplys .

And our gpu days we have this 8pin and 6 pin dedicated lines .. 

To make a story short thermaltek 8pin to barel (12v - 100w) works on both cards!!

U still must have working AGPM for the card to work properly ! 

For my stupidity  i didnt even noticed only 1x12v line on both spu's molex!

single rail spu i had was giving 38w per 12v -18awg cable!

so i had 2 cables would estimate 76w.

I heard people pulled out 80w and more from akittio brick and even more!!!

multi rail psu had one line only with one 12v estimating 50w and many molex connections ! 

this is why zotac 750ti  38w + 10or 15w  for  Akitio components worked!

Edited by Stan VE
Edit

9 hours ago, Boykodev said:

Got myself a 400W power supply that outputs 12V only. It looks something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Switching-Switch-Supply-Driver/dp/B00L316X7E

Works fine. No more freezes. The only problem is that its fan is pretty loud and distracting.

I've been thinking about that kind of power supply as well, could you tell me about how did you manage the 6pin and 8pin cable with that? I think you can only use one power sources to prevent GND loop right? Otherwise I can just simply switch my Molex to barrel plug to this 12V only power supply and use my original 850W power supply to power the gpu on the other side by 6pin and 8pin plug, sould I ?

5 hours ago, simon753 said:

I've been thinking about that kind of power supply as well, could you tell me about how did you manage the 6pin and 8pin cable with that? I think you can only use one power sources to prevent GND loop right? Otherwise I can just simply switch my Molex to barrel plug to this 12V only power supply and use my original 850W power supply to power the gpu on the other side by 6pin and 8pin plug, sould I ?

In my case the GPU I used (EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti) doesn't require additional power. So I only needed to supply 12V to barrel plug.

I don't really know how can you use the 6pin and 8pin cable with this power supply. But if they all use 12V - I think its possible.

Yeah, you can only use one power source, I don't know the true reason why, but everyone keep saying that, so it must be true! :)

5 hours ago, Boykodev said:

In my case the GPU I used (EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti) doesn't require additional power. So I only needed to supply 12V to barrel plug.

I don't really know how can you use the 6pin and 8pin cable with this power supply. But if they all use 12V - I think its possible.

Yeah, you can only use one power source, I don't know the true reason why, but everyone keep saying that, so it must be true! :)

Thanks for your response, I'll figure out how to use additional power on my GTX Titan, and good luck with your set. I'll keep update my work here if I successfully make my set work, I think it can help more people who are suffered by all these issues. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2016年7月31日 at 4:08 AM, Stan VE said:

did u had molex to barel adapter ? If yes ! There must be a problem!!!  Looks like tons of people do this molex to barrel adapter and suffer from not stable gpu! But from what can i see suffer mostly people who actually need 75w or so from pcie. 

I had original akittio power adapter , solidgear 450w and thermaltek 600w. 

Both 450 and 600w  had barel adapter to dual molex . 

Zotac 750ti in bios its 38w max

Evga 750ti in bios 58w max

When Both of the psu with molex to barel

for my surprize evga shuts down during the load ! Furmark will make it panic..

Original 60w akittio all work like a charm but i can hear the card hungry for power.. 

Zotac works on both setups remmeber its 38w. So i had to dig !

Just take a look at ur typical molex connector ! It has this 5v! 

Look at ur 8pin pcie! Does it ? ;)

Iread somewhere that this lines arent made to have a stable 12v without 5v .

i guess someone can explain this .....

i remmeber working as IT and we had this workstations with like 10 hdds and i used ibm only hdd that days and i had power failures with high quality power supplys .

And our gpu days we have this 8pin and 6 pin dedicated lines .. 

To make a story short thermaltek 8pin to barel (12v - 100w) works on both cards!!

U still must have working AGPM for the card to work properly ! 

Change Molex to barrel plug into 8pin to barrel plug might be a good idea for solving the instability issues, but I'm wondering if I can change CPU 8pin into barrel plug instead of PCIe 8pin as well?

Edited by simon753

34 minutes ago, Stan VE said:

Yes ! 8pin cpu cable with 4pos and 4neg  working fo a few days now ;)!!!

Please let me know how did you handle 8pin to barrel plus modification, it would be better if you share some photos :) thanks in advance. 

On 2016年8月9日 at 6:55 AM, Stan VE said:

8pin cpu connector is 4positive ussually yellow and 4 negative ussually black!  Just connect positive to center pin on any 5.5x2.5 barel connector ... 

Will make photos today..

I've got no luck and failed :(

it freezes suddenly again after benchmark right away...maybe my PSU is the problem but I've tried another one before and the problem is still there. 

image.jpeg

23 minutes ago, simon753 said:

I've got no luck and failed :(

it freezes suddenly again after benchmark right away...maybe my PSU is the problem but I've tried another one before and the problem is still there. 

We've seen many GTX750Ti issues previously when the card had no PCIe power connector, as you have. Suggest changing the card out for one that does have 6pin PCIe power, eg: EVGA GTX750Ti FTW.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

We've seen many GTX750Ti issues previously when the card had no PCIe power connector, as you have. Suggest changing the card out for one that does have 6pin PCIe power, eg: EVGA GTX750Ti FTW.

My card is GTX Titan not Titan X to be clear, and it has PCIe power connector, 8pin and 6pin. I've connected all with one PCIe cable, I'm not sure if it can deliver enough power or not though, but I've tried to connect it with two PCIe cable separately and there was no miracle happened :( And I connected two cpu 4pin cables to the Akitio PCIe board instead of Molex cables because of the instability issues, I'm not sure if it's helping but I did it anyway. Btw I was able to login after I did PCI compaction use eGPU DIY 1.2 version and after a while I'm not sure what happened it just go blank(black screen) after the Windows logo, and now I just don't know what to do anymore...

7 hours ago, Stan VE said:

What card u use??? Which power connectors u have on a catrd??

why u have 2 cables connected to thunderbolt??

I have GTX Titan with my 2012 mid MacBook Pro retina. And the card has 6pin and 8pin connectors. I've got two thunderbolt cables connected was because one connected to my MacBook Pro and another one connected to the Ethernet adaptor. I'm not sure if the adaptor can be the problem or not, but it doesn't seems like a power-consuming stuff. 

Well ... Your card is 250W 6pin-75w  + 8pin-150w = 225 so akitio give another 25-40 wats to your card and its shouldnt be a problem ...

I assume its not overclocked ....

I think u need at least  23amp on 12v rail ...

I have no  Microsoft products in my possession so can't help with windows ...

I wouldn't recommend connecting anything to the akitio thunderbolt...  just use another thunderbolt port if u have.. if not just for sake of  clean work  disconnect it till  ur setup is stable and hook it back when u done..

What PSU u r using ??  What is the bios on ur Titan  its not overclocked right ??  overclocking will sip more power...

55 minutes ago, Stan VE said:

Well ... Your card is 250W 6pin-75w  + 8pin-150w = 225 so akitio give another 25-40 wats to your card and its shouldnt be a problem ...

I assume its not overclocked ....

I think u need at least  23amp on 12v rail ...

I have no  Microsoft products in my possession so can't help with windows ...

I wouldn't recommend connecting anything to the akitio thunderbolt...  just use another thunderbolt port if u have.. if not just for sake of  clean work  disconnect it till  ur setup is stable and hook it back when u done..

What PSU u r using ??  What is the bios on ur Titan  its not overclocked right ??  overclocking will sip more power...

I'm using a Cougar 850W PSU, and thanks for giving me the idea of reflash gpu BIOS, I'll give it a try today, wish me a good luck. Btw I'm both Mac and Windows user, so if you have any solutions of instability issues of OSX eGPU project please let me know as well :)

Edited by simon753

Hey ! Looks like u have a nice PSU!!!

I would drop 8pin pcie on one 12v lane and 6pin pcie and ur 8pin cpu to barrel on another.

Any chance the card overheats ? you say it freeze after the benchmarks?!  Did u tried another good quality psu ?

On 2016年8月12日 at 11:11 PM, Stan VE said:

Hey ! Looks like u have a nice PSU!!!

I would drop 8pin pcie on one 12v lane and 6pin pcie and ur 8pin cpu to barrel on another.

Any chance the card overheats ? you say it freeze after the benchmarks?!  Did u tried another good quality psu ?

This 850W PSU seems good enough for my setup, and I think it would freeze during benchmark in OSX was probably because of overheats issues, the reason is that I can not control fan speed of the eGPU in OSX at all. Btw I can not even get into Windows anymore, after automated startup by DIY eGPU Setup 1.2 software, my screen just go blank and fan speed of the computer turns faster and louder, usually I can just do nothing but force shutdown (sigh...)