Help figuring out if eGPU is right for me

I am new to e-GPU, and am not to sure if my laptop can handle it (sorry if this is in the wrong forum).  I currently have an Alienware M15x (Please see the spoiler for a pic, because I know that sometimes people get that one confused with the older model m15 model).  It has a Core I7 740QM and an open Express card slot, with the option of removing the WiFi card and run a network cable to my router if needed.  Is this able to handle an e-GPU, because I read in another forum (but it was slightly confusing) that it was not able to work.  I would just like some clarification on this please.

Spoiler

4115194762_7e9c27aa4e.jpg

With either Express Card Slot or removable WiFi you should be able to. Still - your processor might get in trouble with some of the latest games. Care to click on the post below for more info:

Edited by phila_delphia
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, phila_delphia said:

With either Express Card Slot or removable WiFi you should be able to. Still - your processor might get in trouble with some of the latest games. Care to click on the post below for more info:

Thank's for the info and link to a helpful thread.  I eventually plan on building a new desktop, but thought I would try this out in the mean time, until I can see where the prices go on the latest hardware.

If you do not need the very latest ultra superduper Hardware you can get along with a mobile 970m quite well. I got one in my ultra portable gaming notebook and can play the latest games on high at 50-60 FPS. Especially when the new mobile cards are released you will submble over some decent deals.

Best regards

phila

For now, I think I am going to figure out what eGPU board I should get, and I am considering a GTX1060 or GTX1070 (If those will work, which from what I have read so far on here, they should work).  If you (or anyone else who stumbles upon this thread) can suggest a good eGPU board that would be much appreciated; as a side note I am looking at one of these three:

However I do not know what I should be looking for with one of these things.