[HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

7 hours ago, Khenglish said:

OK pushing voltage now. Going over 1.1625V shuts down my 330W PSU. I need to change out the connector for a better one and it should be able to do 1.2V

I broke 20k gpu score 3dm11 with 1416/6950:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11422494

1414/6955 firestrike 15165 GPU score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13380739

That's phenomenal, bro. Maybe now you need a second 330W AC adapter and a AC-100 Y adapter.

10 hours ago, Khenglish said:

IT WORKS!

2048 SHADERS!

980 DESKTOP DEVICE ID!

MODDING VBIOS NOW TO MAKE IT RENDER

AHAHAHAHAH.png

Great job!!! You have now fully converted a 980M to a 980 Desktop card. Literally!

Edited by johnksss
  • Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, TBoneSan said:

This is absolutely amazing. Well Done! I've used all my 10 likes for the day in this thread alone lol.

Me, three... 

Capture.JPG

18 minutes ago, bloodhawk said:

Holy shit wow!! Congrats! You are a freaking legend, and you just broke my wallet.

Do you think the solder will melt using a hot air station. ?

Do you plan on trying something similar? I killed over a half dozen cores before I did a successful swap, so if you do you want to start on hardware that is much cheaper.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

That's phenomenal, bro. Maybe now you need a second 330W AC adapter and a AC-100 Y adapter.

I think I can improve efficiency to make a single 330W PSU adequate.

I actually have access to everything but the stencil....decisions...decisions....:D

Edit, does the memory overclock higher now or is it locked around 1.7 to 1.8ghz?

Edited by johnksss

This is the most amazing mod ever. Astounded by that feat !! 

How about a 2x card mod with SLI ? Absolute bonkers if they work. A 980 GM204 DT cards SLI GG heh..

Edited by Ashtrix

This is the most amazing mod ever. Astounded by that feat !! 

How about a 2x card mod with SLI ? Absolute bonkers if they work. A 980 GM204 DT cards SLI GG heh..

Can you imagine that? 980 DT SLI in da Phoenix or even the Panther? One can dream.... [emoji120]

It's hard to explain in a non native language how you guys work wonders every day! It's an honor just to be part of it - at least as an observer.

@Mr. Fox If this card makes its way to you then it seems that you will have an unique rig with 'El Cazador' - he will truly live up for his name! [emoji12]

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, CaerCadarn said:

Can you imagine that? 980 DT SLI in da Phoenix or even the Panther? One can dream.... emoji120.png

It's hard to explain in a non native language how you guys work wonders every day! It's an honor just to be part of it - at least as an observer.

@Mr. Fox If this card makes its way to you then it seems that you will have an unique rig with 'El Cazador' - he will truly live up for his name! emoji12.png

I thought about that and it would be really nice in El Cazador, and @Khenglish offered it to me. He really deserves it with the amount of work he has into it. So, the plan is for him to keep it. My personal preference is to have SLI (which is why I kept those 980M cards out of the Panther) so we have a plan B to get me another 980M to match the one he fixed and tweaked for me.

What would be sweet is to buy a couple of cheap or dead 980 and have him mod two of them for me, but that might turn out to be more expense than I want right now. Dead 980 desktop GPUs are not common to find for sale, but I suppose if all of the stars aligned it could still be an option though. 

Can you imagine that? 980 DT SLI in da Phoenix or even the Panther? One can dream.... [emoji120]

@Mr. Fox If this card makes its way to you then it seems that you will have an unique rig with 'El Cazador' - he will truly live up for his name! [emoji12]

I thought about that and it would be really nice in El Cazador, and@Khenglish offered it to me. He really deserves it with the amount of work he has into it. So, the plan is for him to keep it. My personal preference is to have SLI (which is why I kept those 980M cards out of the Panther) so we have a plan B to get me another 980M to match the one he fixed and tweaked for me.

What would be sweet is to buy a couple of cheap or dead 980 and have him mod two of them for me, but that might turn out to be more expense than I want right now. Dead 980 desktop GPUs are not common to find for sale, but I suppose if all of the stars aligned it could still be an option though. 

Fair enough I would say! [emoji106]

Then@Khenglish enjoy your new monster rig P150EM reborn!!!

22 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Do you plan on trying something similar? I killed over a half dozen cores before I did a successful swap, so if you do you want to start on hardware that is much cheaper.

Yeah, a friend has a dead desktop 980 (82% ASIC), which died because of multiple PCB scratches. (he blames the cat, i believe otherwise)

Thinking of swapping over the core in my current 980 (notebook) with that one. 

But as you say, i might get a low end 7XX series to figure things out first.

Edited by bloodhawk

I wouldn't bother switching a desktop 980 core onto a 980 notebook. Right now my core isn't clocking so hot. Not sure if its just not a very good core, or if the 980m voltage filtering is having a hard time with the current draw increase.

The card is going to receive voltage filtering improvements to try to improve clocks. Memory will be targetted first as right now I can even bench 7ghz long enough to complete tests.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/18/2016 at 7:46 PM, johnksss said:

I actually have access to everything but the stencil....decisions...decisions....:D

Edit, does the memory overclock higher now or is it locked around 1.7 to 1.8ghz?

You can use a universal Stencil, just cover the holes you don't need with some tape OR you could go commando and do it manually, I have gone commando quite a few times when i had to get jobs done but its really tedious, your eyes go mad :06:  you have to look away every 5 minutes to adjust focus...

Edited by drunkenninja
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, drunkenninja said:

You can use a universal Stencil, just cover the holes you don't need with some tape OR you could go commando and do it manually, I have gone commando quite a few times when i had to get jobs done but its really tedious, your eyes go mad :06:  you have to look away every 5 minutes to adjust focus...

Me personally would just order the right one. Less chance for a mistake.

Although I'm still waiting on the new cards though. To see if they can be put in here or would i need to buy an upgraded chassis.

Edited by johnksss

46 minutes ago, drunkenninja said:

Wow, that sounds terrible. I have a hard enough time with a stencil.

8 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

good question, i was also already wondering if@khenglish also swapped out the vram chips with desktop ones?

or maybe just overvolted the 980m vram for such insane clocks :)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

I swapped one chip because I messed it up when removing the 980m core. I figured why put a 6gha rated chip on when I have 7ghz rated chips. The others are still 6ghz.

Memory voltage is raised to 1.47V. I need to devise a way to cool the backside chips if I want to go higher. Right now they have nothing. Best would probably be very thick thermal pads that reach the motherboard.

Memory seems to clock the same with the 980 core as a 980m core. This card actually has the slowest memory of any 980m I have worked on. I have always gotten 7ghz stable if the temps can be kept down, but this one can only do 6.9ghz stable with an external fan blowing in the card. I don't really want to swap 15 memory chips...

The GM204 bga stencil is easy to find. The bga matches the older GK104 (680m, 680, 670, 660ti, and more), so you can just get a GK104 stencil.

5 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Me personally would just order the right one. Less chance for a mistake.

Although I'm still waiting on the new cards though. To see if they can be put in here or would i need to buy an upgraded chassis.

The 980m pcb can probably take a gddr5 gp104 core.

The bios modding required though would be... extensive.

9 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Wow, that sounds terrible. I have a hard enough time with a stencil.

I swapped one chip because I messed it up when removing the 980m core. I figured why put a 6gha rated chip on when I have 7ghz rated chips. The others are still 6ghz.

Memory voltage is raised to 1.47V. I need to devise a way to cool the backside chips if I want to go higher. Right now they have nothing. Best would probably be very thick thermal pads that reach the motherboard.

Memory seems to clock the same with the 980 core as a 980m core. This card actually has the slowest memory of any 980m I have worked on. I have always gotten 7ghz stable if the temps can be kept down, but this one can only do 6.9ghz stable with an external fan blowing in the card. I don't really want to swap 15 memory chips...

The GM204 bga stencil is easy to find. The bga matches the older GK104 (680m, 680, 670, 660ti, and more), so you can just get a GK104 stencil.

The 980m pcb can probably take a gddr5 gp104 core.

The bios modding required though would be... extensive.

So after this new mod with the core, i wont be able to catch you now...lol

9SNfJLo.jpg

Edited by johnksss
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Yup, and it is a mate to my other one, which also doesn't overclock the memory as it should after modding. Better than pre-mod, yes, much... but not amazing like yours and @johnksss.

1 hour ago, johnksss said:

So after this new mod with the core, i wont be able to catch you now...lol

9SNfJLo.jpg

Well the card is no longer recognized as a 980m, so you win according to hwbot.

I see the memory mod ended up working for you. What did you have to do to get it to work right? Mr.Fox can barely break 6ghz and I remember you saying you had that problem too.

Also that core is amazing. What voltage?

• Thumbs Up 1

Funny thing is...I can't do that overclock on windows 7 or 8, but only on windows 10. I thought it had something to do with the hpet timer, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And I think this machine translates the resisters different. Still working on the real answer.

Edit: Nevermind, I can now.

Edited by johnksss

• Guest changed the title to [HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade