PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

1 hour ago, ajc9988 said:

What's your 24/7 on the 4790k?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Because of the pathetic cooling system on the P750ZM I have to run the little guy at 4.3GHz. I can do short benchmarks at 4.5GHz without AC, but anything serious requires AC cooling to avoid thermal throttling of the CPU. It benches fine at 4.7 and 4.8GHz using AC cooling, but that crappy little heat sink really is not made as well as it needs to be for a 4790K. Had they made it a little better that would be an outstanding little 15 inch beast. What's really weird about it is the 980M runs extraordinarily cool, even when the CPU is about to catch on fire and I am overclocking the crap out of the GPU. That's puzzling, but I'm very glad it's the CPU that needs help instead of the GPU.

It took me about a month to get over the fact that I cannot bump the BCLK even a tiny little bit to get an accurate CPU clock speed that matches the core ratio. I hated that at first, but I eventually accepted it as inevitable. I wish I understood why it refuses to POST if there is any change to the BCLK... very weird glitch. I suspect that can't be fixed or @Prema would have already taken care of it a long time ago. So, it is what it is.

Overall, it's doing a pretty darned good job at doing what I want it to and I'm glad I bought it all things considered.  It's a pretty solid little machine. I love almost everything about it except for the poor quality cooling system for the CPU and the low end LCD. The screen isn't a big deal to me though. I've never been obsessed about display quality. It's adequate in that respect, just not as good as what I have been used to for about the last 8 years.

What's your 24/7 on the 4790k?

Because of the pathetic cooling system on the P750ZM I have to run the little guy at 4.3GHz. I can do short benchmarks at 4.5GHz without AC, but anything serious requires AC cooling to avoid thermal throttling of the CPU. It benches fine at 4.7 and 4.8GHz using AC cooling, but that crappy little heat sink really is not made as well as it needs to be for a 4790K. Had they made it a little better that would be an outstanding little 15 inch beast. What's really weird about it is the 980M runs extraordinarily cool, even when the CPU is about to catch on fire and I am overclocking the crap out of the GPU. That's puzzling, but I'm very glad it's the CPU that needs help instead of the GPU.

It took me about a month to get over the fact that I cannot bump the BCLK even a tiny little bit to get an accurate CPU clock speed that matches the core ratio. I hated that at first, but I eventually accepted it as inevitable. I wish I understood why it refuses to POST if there is any change to the BCLK... very weird glitch. I suspect that can't be fixed or@Prema would have already taken care of it a long time ago. So, it is what it is.

Overall, it's doing a pretty darned good job at doing what I want it to and I'm glad I bought it all things considered.  It's a pretty solid little machine. I love almost everything about it except for the poor quality cooling system for the CPU and the low end LCD. The screen isn't a big deal to me though. I've never been obsessed about display quality. It's adequate in that respect, just not as good as what I have been used to for about the last 8 years.

I used to be at 4.5 24/7 until had to pull the heatsink. Now I'm 4.0 from laziness. Was hoping those new heatsink would work, but I'm starting to think a custom heatsink is the way to go...

Is there a single 1080 option for the  P870DM3? I was under the impression that the P870DM2 was without SLI and the P870DM3 was with SLI.

Am I wrong? 

Please read before posting!!! This has been asked and answered thousands of times all over multiple threads!

1080 sli = dm3

1080 single, 1070 sli = dm2

Theoretically you can get the single 1080 in the dm3, but no resellers are really doing that at the moment. The dm3 has the grid heatsink. It can also do 1070 sli, I believe, but no one is selling that option.

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, DeeX said:

Is there a single 1080 option for the  P870DM3? I was under the impression that the P870DM2 was without SLI and the P870DM3 was with SLI.

Am I wrong? 

28 minutes ago, ajc9988 said:

Please read before posting!!! This has been asked and answered thousands of times all over multiple threads!

1080 sli = dm3

Theoretically you can get the single 1080 in the dm3, but no resellers are really doing that at the moment. The dm3 has the grid heatsink. It can also do 1070 sli, I believe, but no one is selling that option.

I thought I remember one of the Clevo resellers stating there is no difference between them and DM2/DM3 are the identical except that the model naming convention is determine by the customer's choice in GPU configuration. In other words, if you order one 1080 or 1070 SLI you get what they have chosen to call a DM2, but if you order 1080 SLI you get what they are calling a DM3; but, they pull the same barebones chassis box off the shelf to fulfill the order regardless of what is being installed in the way of GPUs and heat sinks. If that is not correct, maybe one of them can clarify it.

That may seem a bit confusing, but Clevo gave the P570WM a "3" at the end to signify a model with a 120Hz screen and eDP versus 60Hz LVDS. That was the only difference between the P570WM and P570WM3.

Am I wrong? 

1080 sli = dm3

I thought I remember one of the Clevo resellers stating there is no difference between them and DM2/DM3 are the identical except that the model naming convention is determine by the customer's choice in GPU configuration. In other words, if you order one 1080 or 1070 SLI you get what they have chosen to call a DM2, but if you order 1080 SLI you get what they are calling a DM3; but, they pull the same barebones chassis box off the shelf to fulfill the order regardless of what is being installed in the way of GPUs and heat sinks. If that is not correct, maybe one of them can clarify it.

That may seem a bit confusing, but Clevo gave the P570WM a "3" at the end to signify a model with a 120Hz screen and eDP versus 60Hz LVDS. That was the only difference between the P570WM and P570WM3.

That sounds right, same components except heatsink but the distributor likely has the dm3 box marked with the heatsink and 1080 sli already in it. But same components as for chassis and mb...

If building from barebones, then same exact unit.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I basically never overclock my GPUs except when I am benching. They run stock for normal use and for gaming. When I do any kind of serious GPU overclocking it's on AC cooling because I don't want to kill super expensive parts by cooking them to death.

Now, CPU is a totally different story. My 6700K runs 4.7GHz 24/7 with c-states disabled and I goose it to 4.8GHz for benching. It runs cool enough for normal use just using the fans sitting on top of my modded U3. Plus, if I wear it out, 6700K is a cheap CPU and replacing it isn't a big deal. Since I don't have a BGA turdbook, a CPU replacement is a Philips screwdriver and tube of CLU away, and about 15 minutes of my time including delid. The CPU is expendable, but as cool as it runs I doubt I'll ever need to replace it. 

You might want to reenable cstates for everyday use, I killed my 5820K by running it without cstates for a year.

56 minutes ago, str8_an94baller said:

You might want to reenable cstates for everyday use, I killed my 5820K by running it without cstates for a year.

I ran my 2920XM for 5 years, 3920XM for 4 years, 4930MX for 3 years and all of my other enthusiast grade CPUs (4930K and 4960X) for as long as I owned them heavily overclocked with C-states disabled and never had a problem. All of them worked the same as the day I first bought them when I sold them to their next owners.

Not saying it cannot happen, but it may not be the reason your 5820K died. Might have been something else. But, at any rate, 6700K and 4790K are both dirt cheap and totally expendable. If either one of them burns out in a year, I'll just buy another one. No biggie. That's the beauty of not having a ball and chain disposable BGA turdbook. 

46 minutes ago, dspboys said:

Does the new 120Hz screen support 3d vision just like it was with the AW17 R1?

No, like all other NVIDIA gimmicks, especially where notebooks are concerned, a licensing ransom fee has to be paid by the OEM. It comes with some requisites similar to G-STINK. The panel has to be included on their Nazi whitelist. It also requires an extra piece of hardware called an emitter. 3DVision is kind of obsolete now. I haven't noticed anyone offering it for a while. I think the Alienware 17 R1 may have been the last of the Mahicans for 3DVision.

The techno-geek fad du jour is VR for the time being. While it is not an NGREEDIA exclusive, the cost of the supporting peripherals eclipses any gamer gimmick the Green Goblin has ever dreamed up. I am waiting for the Star Trek Holodeck version because I like the idea of wireless VR with no bricks strapped to my face. 

6 hours ago, Georgel said:

http://tekadvice.ro/clevo-p775.html

Romanian Reseller already has all the new versions, which is kinda amazing. 

They are also trying to sign up to become a Prema partner from what they said, so should be really taken into account. But then again, I'm not affiliated, and I do recommend that regardless of reseller one should get a bare bone then add his own RAM / SSD / HDD / all components that can be customized.

At any rate, at least we romanians have this gong on for us XD. 

It's given me an itch to ask it XD. 

What happens when it is under powered? I mean, say we buy an P870 with 1080 SLI. What happens when feeding it a single 330W? It gets damaged, it heats, it crashes, or it simply doesn't work as fast? 

I looked at the link, and couldn't see they offer a 120hz display?

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Prema mentioned before that only the DM3 has "The Grid" heatsink (vapor chamber) while the DM2 features a regular T-shape heatsink. Otherwise the two models are pretty much the same.

DM3: GTX 1080 SLI (and single as per importer request), GRID heatsink, 2x330W AC Adpater

DM2: GTX 1070 SLI, GTX 1080, T-shape or SLI heatsinks, 2x230W AC Adapter

DM2/DM3: Same housing & motherboard, parts are interchangeable but not easy to source as after market upgrades. That should change within the next 2 months as usual...

16 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

ok

any word on bios availability to reseller? evoc says they don't have it ready yet.

WIP: When its ready all Prema Partner Shops that decide to carry a certain model will get access...

8 hours ago, dspboys said:

Does the new 120Hz screen support 3d vision just like it was with the AW17 R1?

I wish it would...making a new tech and then abandon it is one thing, but making people pay extra for a 3D license and then stop supporting it...not so cool.

20 hours ago, irfanwikaputra said:

what is the maximum power consumption of gtx 1080 specifically on P775DM-3 and P870DM-2/3? I am getting good deal of 2398$ USD for P775-DM-3 and 2569$ for P870DM-2 both with i7-6700K and gtx 1080. Not sure which one is better

I would urge you to stay away from any machine with a heat sink designed similar to my P750ZM.  It is a popular trend, but the design is unintelligent and ineffective. It does OK for a system run at stock clocks. If you plan to do any CPU overclocking, it will be an Achilles Heel.  It makes the machine more of a pain in the ass to work on as well. If you need to repaste the CPU or GPU, you're automatically doing both. It's stupid to have to disturb both if only one needs attention.

My advice: Spend the $175 on the better engineering and you will be far better off in the long run. Thermal management is probably the most important area to avoid compromise and this design represents a popular compromise that looks more impressive in photographs than it does in application.

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:
9 hours ago, irfanwikaputra said:
what is the maximum power consumption of gtx 1080 specifically on P775DM-3 and P870DM-2/3? I am getting good deal of 2398$ USD for P775-DM-3 and 2569$ for P870DM-2 both with i7-6700K and gtx 1080. Not sure which one is better

I both agree and disagree on the unified heatsink. I studied the design we have and mistakes were made. They focused running the heat pipes over the heat source, which is intuitive, but if you look at the new design, it changed. They, with the new design, went for maximizing surface contact with the heat pipes rather than focusing on the localized heat source. This also suggests they may have switched to a vapor chamber over the cpu instead of a metal plate which requires maximizing the contract over the heat source, as well as going to heat pipes that are larger and can move significantly more heat then three uniform medium size heat pipes. So, if the changes I believe were made were made, the cooling capacity may be more than what we have. With clu, if it works properly on cooling, you only have to repaste every couple years.

Plus, even though separate, the dm3 requires you to pull the grid if you need to deal with the cpu. But hope that helps on some thoughts I had. The new 750/775dm heat sinks look to have switched to straight screw (or don't look like spring screws from the pics to me) and the height doesn't look like a regular plate that the pipes sit on, looking closer to the grid type top. I really want someone to tell me more about those sinks!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I would urge you to stay away from any machine with a heat sink designed similar to my P750ZM.  It is a popular trend, but the design is unintelligent and ineffective. It does OK for a system run at stock clocks. If you plan to do any CPU overclocking, it will be an Achilles Heel.  It makes the machine more of a pain in the ass to work on as well. If you need to repaste the CPU or GPU, you're automatically doing both. It's stupid to have to disturb both if only one needs attention.

My advice: Spend the $175 on the better engineering and you will be far better off in the long run. Thermal management is probably the most important area to avoid compromise and this design represents a popular compromise that looks more impressive in photographs than in does in application.

at least it's not that dumb single-pipe netbook heatsink on the macbook trying to cool off a 80W 4980HQ @ 4.4 ghz and a 50W 3-year old GPU lol

• Thumbs Up 7

so beside the fact the thread get's me more and more horny for the P775DM3 just to get the information right, i have picked up the following so far, please correct everything i done wrong:

I noticed that the

• P870DM2(-G) Single 1080 or 1070 SLI with the older Style Cooling System, right?
  • P870DM3(-G) SLI 1080,1070 and theoretical Single 1080,1070, with the newer Vapor Chamber System?

so that means with the little Sister Version of the Beastman (?)

• P775DM2 (non G) Single 1060,1070 and with 120Hz Support (according to Clevo Homepage), old but improved Cooling System?
  • P775DM2-G Single 1060,1070 with Gsync Support (still the old LG Panels like the ones used in the P771DM?, Pending 120Hz Gsync cert), old but improved Cooling System?
  • P775DM3 (non G) Single 1080,1070,1060 and with the same as above 120Hz Screen Support, Improved Cooling System (Vapor Chamber too?)
  • P775DM3-G Single 1080,1070,1060 with Gsync Support (same question as the P775DM2-G as above + Vapor Chamber?)

And are there already some information about the screens too, i really really want to pull the trigger to buy it already :hyper: but i NEED 1080 (could live with a 1070 too tho, i could surely OC it to match my 980TI @ 1450Core) and 120Hz (low response rate)

• Thumbs Up 1

so beside the fact the thread get's me more and more horny for the P775DM3 just to get the information right, i have picked up the following so far, please correct everything i done wrong:

I noticed that the

• P870DM2(-G) Single 1080 or 1070 SLI with the older Style Cooling System, right?
  • P870DM3(-G) SLI 1080,1070 and theoretical Single 1080,1070, with the newer Vapor Chamber System?
so that means with the little Sister Version of the Beastman (?)

• P775DM2 (non G) Single 1060,1070 and with 120Hz Support (according to Clevo Homepage), old but improved Cooling System?
  • P775DM2-G Single 1060,1070 with Gsync Support (still the old LG Panels like the ones used in the P771DM?, Pending 120Hz Gsync cert), old but improved Cooling System?
  • P775DM3 (non G) Single 1080,1070,1060 and with the same as above 120Hz Screen Support, Improved Cooling System (Vapor Chamber too?)
  • P775DM3-G Single 1080,1070,1060 with Gsync Support (same question as the P775DM2-G as above + Vapor Chamber?)
And are there already some information about the screens too, i really really want to pull the trigger to buy it already :hyper: but i NEED 1080 (could live with a 1070 too tho, i could surely OC it to match my 980TI @ 1450Core) and 120Hz (low response rate)

2ca38d3155ec27ee824d26c92135842b.jpg

I don't know it is a vapor chamber, just praying it is. But they went to a spring bar and straight screws with more heat pipe coverage, it seems...

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, ajc9988 said:

2ca38d3155ec27ee824d26c92135842b.jpg

I don't know it is a vapor chamber, just praying it is. But they went to a spring bar and straight screws with more heat poor coverage, it seems...

Until the OEMs (Clevo and others) can get closer to achieving aerospace precision, I think a spaghetti labyrinth made this way is going to be a frequent hit or miss proposition. The last thing a customer that paid big bucks for an expensive product should have to deal with is wide variances in quality that affect fit and functionality. With some luck you might have success tweaking a deformed setup like this, but that is going to be hit or miss and could make matters worse. The slightest amount of variance in fit can have a large adverse impact on thermal management. The thought process has merit, but so far the execution always seems to leave something to be desired.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Until the OEMs (Clevo and others) can get closer to achieving aerospace precision, I think a spaghetti labyrinth made this way is going to be a frequent hit or miss proposition. The last thing a customer that paid big bucks for an expensive product should have to deal with is wide variances in quality that affect fit and functionality. With some luck you might have success tweaking a deformed setup like this, but that is going to be hit or miss and could make matters worse. The slightest amount of variance in fit can have a large adverse impact on thermal management. The thought process has merit, but so far the execution always seems to leave something to be desired.

can totally confirm your words, i had to mod the screws on my old P771ZM and my now P771DM-G to get much better temps on my CPU, on idle without the mod it was around the same but on load there were a 5-10 °C difference, probably caused by the more even distributed preasure. Now after the screw mod and delidding my 6700k 3 weeks ago i happily sit at max 65 °C CPU and 69 °C GPU when playing Overwatch or GW2, the latter absolutely kicked the CPU to 90 °C level without the Delid, still it's only 4.2Ghz but yeah.

Edited by Scerate
  • Thumbs Up 1

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160817%2F2ca38d3155ec27ee824d26c92135842b.jpg&key=ebd895ee40c860c6ddda40e565b7300b9cee11252e555c7e10effa351bbb72c9

I don't know it is a vapor chamber, just praying it is. But they went to a spring bar and straight screws with more heat poor coverage, it seems...

Until OEMs (Clevo and others) can get

What sucks is this is designed for the new Clevo cards = no compatibility for us. If they made a similar upgrade heatsink for the old machines, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It saddened me greatly when I realized the gpu side won't work in our machines at all!!! Also, the gpu side doesn't seem to have the thickness of the cpu side, hence why I thought cpu has vapor chamber but gpu doesn't.

I hope they put one out for us with the new design though (or why I mentioned get a custom fabricated one with a similar design)...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Guest changed the title to PASCAL-MXM+
  • Brian unpinned this topic