PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

27 minutes ago, iunlock said:

I saw it coming, but left it be...

Predictable...

To be fair, then there's HP and Omen lol... so this is AW's last chance.

Powered by: Octa Core Exynos + 6820HK

And Dell will still have near $3,320 for "Echo" with 6820Hk, 32GB ram, 512 ssd and the old 980m. Do they know new graphics is out?:confused: 

AW.PNG

Edited by Papusan
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Mr. Fox THX for posting the thread! Looks like I dozed off while waiting for NDA lift... :yawn:

@  ALL Any questions still unanswered? 

What heatsink mod was done, if any, for the msi 1070 in the DM you saw?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yes I have a question @Prema, how much of an anomaly was that 90c 1080 in the Heaven benchmark? xD

The other card running at 64c is something I'm sure could be managed in my country, but that other one at 90? In Canada, possibly in A/C room? Couldn't even tell if max fans or not? That hopefully is indicative of some other issue beyond the base cooling config, otherwise that machine won't even run at stock for most people (especially as it's still "summer" for much of the world).

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Prema said:

@Mr. Fox THX for posting the thread! Looks like I dozed off while waiting for NDA lift... :yawn:

Bro, do you know anymore about the previous gen upgrade that you might not have been able to say under NDA? 

Is

1) the 1080 P&P and compatible with the previous 980 HS. 

2) the 1070 "  " with SLI

Apologies if you have answered this.

Bro, do you know anymore about the previous gen upgrade that you might not have been able to say under NDA? 

Is

Both cases, new heatsink are needed... Maybe not for the 1070 sli if using the msi cards, but definitely with the Clevo cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Prema any chance you could fix the MSI 1080 links? Is the layout the same as the 1070? The MSI 1070 looks really good. It should be fittable into a standard MXM 3 slot and be able to take an unmodified heatsink. Too bad MSI cards can only be found rarely on ebay.

I am very surprised by the use of multiple core VRMs. The only cards I am aware of that being done on were pre 2011 AMD top end GPUs (HD 4890 and I think 2900XT). The Clevo is definitely 4+2. The MSI is hard to tell. I first thought it was a 5, but it looks like it is actually a 3+2. There are two sizable VRMs at the top that look like they are for the core, while neither is big enough to be able to control 5 phases. I feel bad for Prema trying to BIOS mod these multi-VRM cards.

The Clevo design does look a little better, but of course its bigger. Those lower 2 core phases will pull power very efficiently from the MXM power tabs, and the upper 4 phases get power efficiently from the power connector. Also 2 memory phases should outperform the single memory phase on the MSI. The MSI appears to be plug & play into older laptops though... well worth the less than 1% overclocking difference.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Khenglish said:

Too bad MSI cards can only be found rarely on ebay.

The MSI appears to be plug & play into older laptops though... well worth the less than 1% overclocking difference.

Eurocom sells upgrades for MSI, therefore should be a direct (if a bit expensive) source for MSI cards. Also you could try HIDevolution, though I don't know for certain if they sell upgrade kits or are allowed to cross-sell if you can't show them you own a MSI laptop.

They only plug into some roomier models like possibly the P7xxZM/P7xxDM. I can tell you for certain that 1070 will NOT fit in my laptop, either in the primary or slave slots. And I don't expect it'll fit in your P150EM either, though I could possibly be wrong. (Not that we could cool them easily, heh. Or that I have ANY intention of upgrading this laptop whatsoever; a new model is just better in every way now that 120Hz screens are a thing again).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

Nice!!

is it just me or do the 1080 and 1070 boards seem exactly the same , only difference being a different core? 

Did i call it or what?? XD

Get ready for my PM barrage. 

The ES/QS 1070 boards had all MOSFETs soldered, just like its bigger brother. The MP boards are missing two.

Apart from that difference it's just GDDR5 Vs. GDDR5x and some smaller components.

Clevo wants to use this MXM format across the board going forward...   

1 hour ago, ajc9988 said:

What heatsink mod was done, if any, for the msi 1070 in the DM you saw?

I honestly don't know...he didn't even mention it as at that point we needed to see if it's possible at all and didn't worry too much about things that can be adjusted.

1 hour ago, Ashtrix said:

Waiting for the MSI 1080 & the 1060 cards, No reviews of them As of now right ?

3 hours ago, ssj92 said:

Can't wait to see MSI's 1070 SLI version

Will add more card models to OP soon...

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Yes I have a question @Prema, how much of an anomaly was that 90c 1080 in the Heaven benchmark? xD

The other card running at 64c is something I'm sure could be managed in my country, but that other one at 90? In Canada, possibly in A/C room? Couldn't even tell if max fans or not? That hopefully is indicative of some other issue beyond the base cooling config, otherwise that machine won't even run at stock for most people (especially as it's still "summer" for much of the world).

The run was with automatic FANs. And here comes the thing:

These are now 12v FANS and the automatic profile won't let the FANs get to 60% of their full capacity even at maximum heat...reason being it would sound like a jet engine;)

5 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

Aye, will it be possible to get the exact panel details on the 120hz AUO ?

AUO B173HAN01.2 AHVA (IPS-ish)

5 hours ago, SRSR333 said:

No 14".

I'm out.

Sorry, I tried to prepare you....smaller models will only come later as per NVIDIA's next pascal-release-wave.

4 hours ago, dspboys said:

Any news about the 200W 1080? :D How many phases do you think will it have?

There is only one variant and it can probably easily surpass that value after giving it a little extra love... 

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Will the  processor cooling be somewhat degraded due to the shared GPU cooling? 

CPU will be cooler in pure CPU runs like long encoding scenarios...if we put full load on both GPUs and CPU then well, we will have to see... 

1 hour ago, TBoneSan said:

Is

SLI is not possible on P870DM with any of the cards that I have seen.

The new cards come with an EC communication signal for the new power ports (No signal no boot). This had to be 'tricked' in older models in order for the cards to fire up...

4 minutes ago, Prema said:

Clevo wants to use this MXM format across the board going forward...   

The run was with automatic FANs. And here comes the thing:

These are now 12v FANS and the automatic profile won't let the FANs get to 60% of their full capacity even at maximum heat...reason being it would sound like a jet engine. ;)

CPU will be cooler in pure CPU runs like long encoding scenarios...if we put full load on both GPUs and CPU then well, we will have to see... 

So, I was right? This new design will be Clevo's new "standard" so later models should be upgrade-able even though MXM standard design is dead? Kind of like a turning point? I was hoping this would be the case. Sucks for previous gen owners, but that'd leave some hope on the table.

Hehehe. Headphones, sir. Who cares about a little jet engine ;). But even so, that's a huge discrepancy. I at least hope that was an outlier and it'll get down to 70-75 if the other is ~64c (hopefully a bad paste job or whatnot). I hope to see more! I hope you get your review unit soon =D.

This sounds good and bad at the same time, but as long as a 4.5GHz or higher chip can handle the load I'm good. I don't care if max fans are required, as long as I can heavily stress both (gaming at 120fps while running some solid CPU encoding, either livestreaming or recording) and be fine, I'll be good with it =D.

1 minute ago, TBoneSan said:

@Prema in order to trick the EC communicator signal, would that be a flash or involve some kind of physical mod to the card? 

It maybe possible via firmware but as of now it is a hardmod... 

• Founder

Not Clevo specific but still relevant as it's about Pascal for notebooks:

A couple years ago NVIDIA did state that they would begin developing their architectures as mobile first and scale them up to the desktop level and I guess that started with Maxwell and really went full fledged with Pascal. You can bet the same will be true of Volta with desktop and notebook having roughly equivalent performance which is great for gaming notebooks. I doubt notebooks will get anything like a Titan X equivalent as that thing is just beastly but you never know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I doubt notebooks will get anything like a Titan X equivalent as that thing is just beastly but you never know. 

I am 100% certain if they used a vapor chamber contact point and the P870DM3's "Grid" heatsink, we could shove a Titan X in there. The power draw WILL be less than the 1080 SLI setup, so that isn't the issue. Just the heat. And I think it could be done. You could even use both the existing 4-pin connectors. But that's only if vapor chamber contact points are a thing, and I don't think they currently are. Titan XP is simply too thermally dense for the current heatsinks I think.

Mod hijack edit:

GRID_BACK.jpg

As @Prema stated, the fans they use on the P870DM3 are all 3 the same model, contrary to the original P870DM. Judging from photos it seems in the new model they replaced the bigger 2 fans of the old model and are using now the smaller/weaker fan in the center of the old model exclusively for the new P870DM3? I am a little bit concerned about this fact. In the video from Eurocom one card gets 90 degree hot. Can somebody confirm if indeed the center fan of the old model is the same version as the 3 fans used in the new one? 

Edited by Legendman

PHOENIX 2.0 - GTX 1080 SLI Firestrike @ stock:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9788207

14 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

@Prema, you mean smaller notebooks won't be getting the 1060?

:(

Time to wait for Volta. GTX 860M, you can hold on, I know you can... two more years, mate.

GTX 1080, 1070, 1060 are electrically not compatible with Maxwell board designs. The successor of GTX965 & GTX960 are.

So instead of redesigning the entire P640 board they just wait for the Pascal counterparts... 

@Legendman

Check my reply regarding FANs a few posts above...(old FANs where 5v).

• Guest changed the title to PASCAL-MXM+
  • Brian unpinned this topic