refirbished or new replacement (alienware)

Not to long ago got a new 17 r3. I have had a few problems with computer although im pretty satisfied with how it has performed for me. So long story short they approved me for a replacement unit. In doing so they advised me there would be a 60/40 chance (60% being refurbished) that i would get a refurbished unit due to how long i've had the computer. Im rather particular with my stuff, no scratches, marks, or dings and told them i was rather uneasy about accepting a unit someone else may have possible scratched up as dell doesn't cover cosmetic blemishes. Told them if perhaps the replacement unit had a gpu upgrade i would be more inclined to accept a refurbished unit.

So after waiting a few days for them to send their replacement configuration suggestions i get an email that list off a replacement unit with pretty much everything upgraded, cpu, gpu, screen. Asking if i agree to the specs of the replacement unit. No statement or info on it about it being a refurbished or new unit. I agree to the setup and get a follow up email saying they will inform me of any further information/ tracking numbers etc. on the system.

I then get an additional order confirmation email from dell with dell purchase ID. This email list off every part of the computer like an order but with $0 as the price of everything. Base, screen, gpu, cpu, keyboard, battery, wi-fi, etc.                      So my question is:

Does this mean that they are ordering all new parts to make a new laptop with the stated specs in the email.  Or do they list off everypart just like this for a refurbished unit they are going to send me as well?

So am i getting a refurbished or new build as a replacement?

I`d say you`ll get a refurbished one. They just used the form for billing no matter it the notebook is old or new.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Keep me updated if the notebook happens to be completely new - I might end up buying a Dell too next time ;-)

They did not send a new one, it was refurbished. But what they did do for the amount of troubles i had with the computer, is pretty much give me the most upgraded version of the computer i had replaced.

Went from a 17 r3 with spec :

locked i7 intel 6700HQ    -(to)-    unlocked i7 intel 6820hk overclocked to 4.1

970m 3 gb                        -(to)-    980m 8 gb

1920x1080 FHD               -(to)-    4k UHD  screen

the memory, ssd and harddrive stayed the same

16 gb 2133 ddr4 ram, 256gb pcie ssd and 1tb 7200rpm harddrive

(i know there is a better processor, but did'nt want to deal with the extra heat, and i can upgrade to 32gb ram, but that's the only two things that were not maxxed out.)

luckly the new one came without a scratch on it, as im pretty particular with my rigs, that was a big plus. Not as big as the 8gb 980 though!!!!

Overall i don't see why people complain so much about alienware support staff. Thru-out the issues i had, screen replaced 3 times do to a bad bezel pushing on the screen to much causing bleed thru, to the audio wine that became present after the last screen change. I have had nothing but a pleasant experience with the staff. All have been friendly and super helpful. Guess it just pays to keep you cool and play the nice guy.

I just got the refurbished replacement last night and did'nt get to do much but cut it on and poke at it a little, but all seems to be running great and performing as it should. The 980 even lets me play some game titles on ultra in 4k (diablo 3) (starcraft 2) type games. Other games like Doom, killing floor 2, i was able to play in 2k on ultra, and other stuff like fallout 4 maxxed out on 1080. Very pleased with the processor/gpu combo.

will give a better review of the screen later, i did have some blurry, scaling issues with the 4k screen but did'nt have time to play with the settings last night.

i want to do a fresh clean reinstall of windows myself.

Does anyone know if i can use the same factory image install for the new refurbished, that i used on the original computer they replaced?

it's the same model, year, make as the first one, just a few different components.

its the operating system image from the drivers page on dell site. I made the usb install drive for the first computer they replaced. I should be able to use the same one for the refurbished right?

cant access the service tag on the new refurbished they sent me yet, as i have to wait for them to transfer the service tags and warranty. So the new service tag won't let me download the recovery/install image yet...

Edited by BDogg464
typos