Clevo P370EM GTX 970M Upgrade HELP!

arvinio

Hi so i have a m tech laptop which is pretty much a rebranded Clevo P370em and a while back my amd hd7970m gpu went out in it.  I bought a GTX 970M Gpu and installed it in. Following instructions from other users i installed the Prema mod clevo p370em V2 T2 (Win key on the left)  bios on my laptop. After i installed it and checked the bios my laptop is not showing that i have the GPU installed in it. Im stuck on what to do next. Can anyone help me out? 

Thanks

The bios saying there's no GPU means nothing. If you didn't have a GPU, you wouldn't be able to see anything. There is nothing wrong at all.

You just need to install the Nvidia driver and you're good to go.

Edited by Khenglish

The bios saying there's no GPU means nothing. If you didn't have a GPU, you wouldn't be able to see anything. There is nothing wrong at all.

Well i tried that but the nvidia installer says that i dont have an nvidia gpu in my laptop. Also im having alot of driver issues such as my ethernet and wifi doesnt work. I installed the drivers for them but they still wont work. Im beginning to think that its a bios issue.

Well i tried that but the nvidia installer says that i dont have an nvidia gpu in my laptop. Also im having alot of driver issues such as my ethernet and wifi doesnt work. I installed the drivers for them but they still wont work. Im beginning to think that its a bios issue.

Did you also flash the vBios Premamod v2 for your 970m's? Premamod sBios should not be the culprit.

Yes but when i tried flashing the vbios it would say gpu mismatch and close.

The bios saying there's no GPU means nothing. If you didn't have a GPU, you wouldn't be able to see anything. There is nothing wrong at all.   You just need to install the Nvidia driver and you're good to go.

Did you also flash the vBios Premamod v2 for your 970m's? Premamod sBios should not be the culprit.

Yes but when i tried flashing the vbios it would say gpu mismatch and close.

If it's saying you have a GPU mismatch perhaps you have one of the later Gsync enabled (lol 1 resistor) GPU's.

Is GPU-Z able to read the GPU? If so what is the Device ID?

If GPU-Z isn't able to read it, check device manager under display adapters. Go in to properties > details > hardware id in the dropdown. You are looking for the VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx

There are 3 different revisions of the 970M 6GB and you may need to just flash with a different vBIOS.

If you want to go ahead and confirm which one you need on your own and not wait for a reply you can do the following:

Download all 3 vBIOS variants and Maxwell BIOS Tweaker II. You can open the roms in the tweaker and find which one shares the same ID as yours, and then flash. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Your system did not launch with the 970m, so your GPU/motherboard combination is not in the Nvidia driver's files. You need to add it. Instructions for doing this are in the link I posted above.

There is no bios issue. Don't start flashing random BIOS. Just do the .inf mod.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

Your system did not launch with the 970m, so your GPU/motherboard combination is not in the Nvidia driver's files. You need to add it. Instructions for doing this are in the link I posted above.

There is no bios issue. Don't start flashing random BIOS. Just do the .inf mod.

Ok ill do that later today but why is it that the chipset , ethernet, and wifi drivers are not working when i install them on my laptop?

12 hours ago, arvinio said:

Ok ill do that later today but why is it that the chipset , ethernet, and wifi drivers are not working when i install them on my laptop?

Those drivers stopped working when you changed the GPU?

14 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Those drivers stopped working when you changed the GPU?

Ok so intially my gpu went out. So what i did was i formated my pc then installed the new gpu and flashed my bios with prema mod. Thats where i am right now. My drivers were working before i flashed the bios and thats why im thinking the bios is the problem.

ok so i followed you suggestion on modifying the inf. and i was finally able to install the gpu driver and my bios is recognizing the gpu. But im still having trouble with my drivers. Do you think i have to reflash to my original bios?

Edited by arvinio

the bios for your system should have nothing to do with it.(assuming you installed prema sbios) although i do remember that the vbios needed to be the v2 Vbios in order to install a driver over a certain version.( i think it was any driver version 360+)

if your still having problems i would first start of with modifying the inf to a 350 and down version driver see if that works. if so that confirms that you didnt update the vbios. 

installing the original sbios will make your situation worse as the gpu wont be supported at all.(if i remember correctly)

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah good memory @InfectedSonic. Yeah only the v3 system bios supports drivers newer than the 358 series for EM series laptops. I forgot that catch.

v2 and stock have equivalent gpu support. For v3 prema changed out the mxm module in the bios  with one from another system for proper 900 series support.

On a 358 series driver the gpu will still operate correctly under the v2 bios.

Hello,

The bios you flashed should not be the culprit. All my Clevo laptops were/are flashed with Prema work. Never had ,even once, a problem with drivers.

I had a P370em: it worked with v2 bios and lately v3 from Eurocom (vga cards bought here).

Could you post  cpu-z screens (CPU and MAINBOARD tabs)?

PS: i at the end you still want to flash original bios, you could find it, with little search, here or at Prema's blog.

Edited by haiwepa

• 1 month later...