2 Fans in Akitio 2 pin board connector

Charly

Hi guy´s,

Long time without writing any posts, I´ve been working a lot...

I´m planing a new mod to my Akitio case, I´ll post the pictures of the process,  I´m really proud about it.

Anyway, I want to replace the fan that comes inside the case using two noctua fans: Noctua NF-A4X10 FLX

My question is:

Is it posible to connect both fans to the Akitio´s board fan connector?

I don´t want to burn anything, but it would be great because then i did´t need another cable connected to the psu if it´s possible.

Thank you guys!!

Edited by Charly

7 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92907&d=1300

There. Now go grab a multimeter and find out what you're dealing with on the other side.

That is great but actually a don´t need solder any cables, the Noctua fans I purchased comes with 2 pin -> 3 pin adapter.

Maybe I din´t explain my question correctly... my english is not really good...

I´m worried about the electricity load, I would like to know if it´s safe to connect two fans with an adapter to the only one Fan connector of the Akitio´s board.

As I know nothing about electricity I would prefer wait until an expert confirm it´s possible.

Thank you Arbystrider

6 minutes ago, Arbystrider said:

Fan splitters exist for a reason.

Maybe I´m completely wrong but in my opinion the combined power draw of the fans connected to Akitio´s board don´t have to exceed the capacity of the connector, I just want to be sure...

In many situations spliters are never recommended, overheating risk, overload risk, etc...

ArbystriderAre you sure that using a splitter in this situation is safe? 

Take a look of this: 

Caution: Do not use high power fans with this adapter due to the possibility of overloading motherboard fan power regulator. The limit of a fan header on a typical motherboard is usually around ~10W.

;)

Arbystrider,

The "Caution text" I used before is extracted from another placer, is not related to Akitios board it was an example to show you my fear origin.

The specifications of the Noctua fans are:

Max PW : 0,6 W

Max Amp : 0,05 A

Exactly the same than the original SUNON MB60201V3-000U-A99 that comes with Akitio.

As I told I have no idea if doubling the electricity draw is dangerous or the power needed is in fact ridiculous and I don´t have to worry

Are you sure?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Arbystrider said:

Perhaps you should consider reading specs and datasheets first?

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-flx/specification

I read all Noctua´s specs and data sheets first, this is not the question.

What I need to know is Akitio´s fan conector specification, support 1,2 W (0,6W FAN1 + 0,6W FAN2)

The question is:

Does the Akitio´s board fan connector can supply enough power to handle both fans without overloading or overheating the dock?

Maybe I din´t explain it clear enough.

Thank you.

1.2 watts is a ridiculously small amount of power. A unpowered USB port can output more than double of 1.2W.

If Akitio's board can't handle outputting 1.2 watts of power, then I seriously question their existence as an electronics company.

1.2 watts. 1.2 stinking watts. I bet I could output more than 1.2W of power when I go pee in the morning. I bet I've already done more than 1.2W of work just by typing this bloody post.

It's not like you're trying to power a 1.2 gigawatt time machine. You'd need a nuclear fission reactor to get power of that magnitude, however. But it would still be loads of fun as a weekend project.

1 hour ago, Arbystrider said:

1.2 watts is a ridiculously small amount of power. A unpowered USB port can output more than double of 1.2W.

If Akitio's board can't handle outputting 1.2 watts of power, then I seriously question their existence as an electronics company.

1.2 watts. 1.2 stinking watts. I bet I could output more than 1.2W of power when I go pee in the morning. I bet I've already done more than 1.2W of work just by typing this bloody post.

It's not like you're trying to power a 1.2 gigawatt time machine. You'd need a nuclear fission reactor to get power of that magnitude, however. But it would still be loads of fun as a weekend project.

XD

Relax... I´m just trying to learn and take care of my eGPU implementation, this forum is about that, Isn´t it?

Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kos,

It´s a good idea, I thought before but now I´m trying to find enough space to place the fans inside and maybe I´m not going to do it.

Need to think about it ;)

34 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Why getting 2x40mm fans?

Hi Dschijn

I´m finishing my build, it´s objetive is to improve the cooling of the egpu, at the moment I´m really happy about the results but I realized after playing for long periods of time that the akitio´s board gets little hot.

My intention is to use those fans to canalize fresh air directly to de board and as you know there is no much free space inside the case so I need really small fans and those Noctua are in my opinion the best (size/noise/air flow)

I´ll try to start a new post this weekend with all the work and steps I did in my not yet finished build and maybe you can give me your oppinion, I´m going to post a couple of pictures (I can´t wait xD)

As I said before is not finished but you can start to see the finish design.

IMG_3963.jpg

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

That looks great! How does the warm air exhaust?

Thanks,

I´ll try post all pictures about construction process and explanation in a couple of days, but as you can see in the pictures fan only take fresh air from the exterior, and the push the warm air to the hole into the upper part.

IMG_3913.JPG

Without the pipes fans took air from everywhere, some fresh air but also warm air from the card.

Next step is finish all the electric cable inside the case (GPU, PSU switch, maybe extra fans) and design a top part cover.