Geforce 600m Series;555m follow-up

gamba66

Hi,

This news concerns all our m14x!

Nvidia Geforce GT 610M, 630M and 635M

Nvidia plans to launch 3 new GeForce 600M Series chips, which are known as Geforce GT 610M, GeForce GT 630M and GeForce GT 635m that are based on current Geforce GT 520M (GF119), and 2 variants of Geforce GT 555m (1536MB and 2048MB based on the GF106), which unfortunately is consistent with rumors circulating a few months ago. These new Nvidia Geforce 600M series GPUs vary in VRAM amount, frequency and other minor specifications aimed at different market segments.

Nvidia Geforce 600M series comes on December 2011, But not Kepler - Lenzfire

It seems that they are just renaming the 555m, to 630m (the 128-bit version) and 635m (the 192 bit version)

This tells us that the follow-up of the 555m will only be a rebranded 635m in our case.. The 630:635 is also based on the gf106 chip as found in the 555m

• Thumbs Up 3

That's interesting, I've already heard that there won't be any big changes to the M14x in the near future, next step up should come with the Ivy Bridge CPUs, which have better internal graphics and use less power.

The question is when will there be a truly new GPU for the M14x?

yes, i could imagine they sell the m14x with the 635m at the beginning of 2012, since 555m production will be stopped at sometime (??) and this is basically the same chip..

They announced the first releases of the 600 series in december

another source already stated, that they will use 144 shaders and come in a 128bit and 192bit version..

now the question is if gddr5 or still ddr3, but looking at this chart http://www.notebookcheck.com/uploads/tx_jppageteaser/Unbenannt_01.png a ddr3 release would be very probable

well and if its ddr5, the cooling would also be of importance, since it would probably run hotter than the ddr3 version (well when it uses the 192 bit bus atleast)

Edited by gamba66
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

The question is: what for? To sell more of the old stuff before new line of Kepler dices comes in? Commercially - prolly very welcome. Practically - unnecessary. Well, Intel did exactly the same with refreshing the i7 line, didn't they. :-/ I've seen some people at NBR switching from 2920xm to 2960xm just because of the higher number, or at least that's what they put in their signatures (i wonder how many specs given in sigs actually bend the truth "a bit").

BTW, I believe that Kepler will be nothing more than Fermi redone in 28nm. People expect new designs, ultra abilities and hyper performance. Prolly nothing like that will come. They will just re-produce Fermi in 28nm, make it at average 20-25% faster with focus on more performance per Watt and then sell a whole new series of cards. Making cards faster is commercially illogical. It's better to release a new series of somewhat faster cards again. And then again. Nvidia kept on milking poor Fermi for more than 2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.

And what makes you think so? 680M looks very much like 580M, at this first glance. The only difference is the 3DMark score (some +5000) which can actually be achieved by the 40nm -> 28nm switch, especially as it still requires 100W.

So 580m - is vbios voltmod capable and if 680m is not capable then 580m will almost be close in performance and will cost more by then... But if vbios vmod is capable... The 680m could be quite a chip in a portable package

144 cores with 192 bit interface with ddr3 is comparable to the nvidia 555mGT. The difference is up to 675MHZ stock speed up from our 590MHZ. Right now I can play stable all the way up to 800mhz gpu speed without issues. I wonder if the new cards will allow a 200MHZ overclock as well from stock speeds? 675-->875MHZ?

i think theres a possibility that it is a bit faster, but my guess would be that one can achieve the additional perfomance through overclocking the 555m GT..

The question is, how good of a overclocker is the 635m..

But however it may perform, it doesn't look like a worthy sucessor

BTW, I compared almost all specs and I think the only difference was the pixel fillrate (about 14 for the 555m GT and about 16 for the 635m GT)