I have a 2016 Clevo P870DM-GS. 6700K CPU. 980 GTX Desktop Class GPU. My Clevo was running on stock BIOS. I've been using XTU to undervolt -100mhz the CPU and kept pretty good temps all these years. Never throttled so far as I know.
Last week, my kid was playing games on it (Roblox and Minecraft Java with mods) and suddenly the laptop shut off. Up until that point, laptop was running flawlessly for years.
Now, it only boots to a black screen. Here is what happens now:
1. Press power button, the LEDs all light up - keyboard, power button, the little battery charge and power LEDs, and the back cover.
2. Screen stays black. Never lights up. No POST, no LOGO, no nothing. Stays black.
3. After about 30 seconds, the fans kick on full speed.
4. Fans stay on full speed for about 1 minute and then the laptop shuts itself down. Does not reboot automatically.
Things I did to try to fix/diagnose so far:
1. I removed the power cord, battery pack, and the CMOS battery, and held the Power button down for 5 minutes. Rebooted, and same results as above.
2. I removed 1 RAM stick. Rebooted, same results as above.
3. I replaced the 1 RAM stick and removed the other RAM stick. Rebooted, same results as above.
4. I moved the RAM sticks to the two other unused DIMM slots, trying one, then the other, then both. Rebooted all three times. Same results as above.
5. I tried booting to an external monitor using the HDMI port. No display signal was detected on the external monitor. The attached monitor stayed black screen and same results as above.
6. I reseated the GPU and the CPU, and then cleaned and repasted them to their heatsinks. Rebooted, same results as above. Neither the CPU or GPU or their heat pipes get warm.
7. I removed all the SSDs, HDDs, Wifi chip, reseated the keyboard ribbon cables and the monitor's LCD cables/plugs. Rebooted, same results as above.
8. I tried booting with no battery pack installed and power cord only. Also tried booting just off the battery. Same results as above.
9. Bought a new CMOS battery and installed. Same results as above.
10. Inspected the entire mobo front and back. Did not see anything odd or scorched or damaged. Also vacuumed out the heat sinks and fans, just because why not? Same results as above.
11. I tried booting with only the CPU attached. Same results as above.
12. Tried booting with only the GPU attached. Same results as above.
13. Power brick seems to be fine. The orange battery charge LED lights up when plugged into the laptop and the power LED next to it lights up green when I turn on the laptop. They both go green when the battery reaches max charge. The power brick itself has a little green LED on it as well when plugged in. The cables all look fine and undamaged.
14. I stripped the mobo naked with nothing attached at all (no drives, no CPU, no GPU, no RAM, nothing). Same result as above.
I'm guessing the 6700K might be dead since I can't even make it to the BIOS POST? BTW, there were no mobo alert beeps during any of the tests I did above. Not sure if clevo laptops do that or not though.
I think I've run out of diagnostic tests? Any other suggestions? Ideas? THANKS!