Egpu now hot pluggable

I have been following a story about someone who had made the core hot pluggable on a Dell XPS15.  Out of curiosity, I wondered if the same setup would work on my TB2 Egpu setup.   I can confirm that it does.

My Setup:

Egpu - Akito

Macbook Pro 15 (2015) (integrated only)

Nvidia 980 

Software installed:

latest Intel video drivers

Nvidia drivers from Razer, NOT Nvidia  (http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core-updates).  After reading the blog it appeared the drivers directly from Nvidia did not work correctly at this time.

Razer Synapse 2.0 (may or may not be needed.  I only tried with it installed)

1.Installed all the software

2. Reboot with Egpu unplugged

3. Plugged in Egpu

Observations:  At first the system appeared to freeze for about 5 seconds.  After that the Nvidia driver loaded and everything performed normally.

Edited by tusctodd
  • Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, tusctodd said:

I have been following a story about someone who had made the core hot pluggable on a Dell XPS15.  Out of curiosity, I wondered if the same setup would work on my TB2 Egpu setup.   I can confirm that it does.

Could I use the method with express card setup ?

[update]

that works too on me

Awesome!

thanks dude !

Edited by gharimanto
update my experiment

This is amazing.

It is for windows only I guess ?

So we just need to install the razer drivers?

did you also install the gpu switcher ?

my mbp is 2012 with dgpu so im wondering if i give it a try. Lets see how empty is my day tomorrow...

Edited by w4vz

Akitio Thunder 2  

Macbook Pro 15 (2014) (integrated)

not work for me

i try it on win8.1 and win10(rs1)

i installed intel gpu driver 20.19.15.4444

Razer Synapse Nvidia drivers from Razer even Razer GPU switcher

but still nothing happen

sad

@tusctodd

I have the exact same setup as you and when I went to install, I realized that it would only let me install the Razer version on Windows 10. I have Windows 8.1. What are you using? If you are on 10, did you find a way to make Optimus work?

On 2016年6月11日 at 0:05 PM, dmilin said:

@tusctodd

I have the exact same setup as you and when I went to install, I realized that it would only let me install the Razer version on Windows 10. I have Windows 8.1. What are you using? If you are on 10, did you find a way to make Optimus work?

I think only Windows 10 can make the eGPU hot pluggable. That's like a feature originally designed for surface book I assume. So Windows 8.1 might not be applicable for it. 

Does anyone using 2014 Macbook pro with dGPU(gt750m) have tried this driver? Would it work?  

Did you uninstall your previous Nvdia GTX970 driver for that? And wait, I think under Windows, Thunderbolt is not hot pluggable. I've used  Thunderbolt Ethernet adaptor and it is definitely not hot pluggable under Windows. So how did you do the hot plug part? Did you just keep the thunderbolt connected and turn on eGPU after it booted?

Edited by jackfsqyj

Could you maybe write a detailed steps on how you got this working? I have 2015 mbpr 13" and tried it and it does not work! (Stuck at the spinning wheel if I try your method). Also how are you connecting the GPU with every start up without restarting? It seems like the razer GPU switcher doesn't support Thunderbolt 2 connection...

edit: this is on windows 10 fully updated

Edited by Creativie

I can confirm that this method is work on my 2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro with iGPU only.

But this only works when I don't have other thunderbolt devices connecting to my rMBP and it isn't work for every time.

BTW, by using the driver download from razer and the razer GPU switcher, I can boot into Windows10 with less fails.

PS: I'm using akitio and galax  gtx970 oc mini with Windows 10 fully updated

On 6/10/2016 at 11:05 PM, dmilin said:

@tusctodd

I am using windows 10.

I haven't had a problem with Optimus working.

I can use either the internal or external screen.  (typical performance hit when using the internal screen.  If I remember correctly my firestrike score was 8400 on the internal screen and ~10,000 on the external screen)

I've been really happy with my current setup.

On 6/16/2016 at 3:28 PM, Creativie said:

Could you maybe write a detailed steps on how you got this working? I have 2015 mbpr 13" and tried it and it does not work! (Stuck at the spinning wheel if I try your method). Also how are you connecting the GPU with every start up without restarting? It seems like the razer GPU switcher doesn't support Thunderbolt 2 connection...

edit: this is on windows 10 fully updated

My wife has a 2015 mpbr 13".   I can confirm I only get the egpu to boot successfully about 10% of the time.  

I was frustrated enough to give up on the 13" because the 15" works 100% of the time.

11 hours ago, tusctodd said:

My wife has a 2015 mpbr 13".   I can confirm I only get the egpu to boot successfully about 10% of the time.  

I was frustrated enough to give up on the 13" because the 15" works 100% of the time.

I just found that it's all about the thunderbolt port that you're connecting.

I have 3 tb devices connecting my macbook pro 15" in total.

If I connect the akitio pcie box to the tb port that located next to the power port, I just can't boot into windows when I have it plugging into my mac. What I need to do is plug it out first and wait for my mac goes into the loading spinner than plug the tb cable back into my mac asap.

But if I plug my akitio to the tb port that next to the usb port and have my wd tb drive plug in to the tb port next to the power port, everything works fine and I can boot into windows 10 successfully for 100% of the time if I perform a cold start and around 50% of the time if I perform a reboot. fyr

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2016 at 10:29 AM, Creativie said:

Did you install the razer GPU switcher prior to connecting the eGPU via thunderbolt?

The GPU switcher was not necessary on my laptop as I only have the integrated graphics.

• 1 month later...

Tried to install the NVIDIA drivers from Razer, and it is saying it couldn't find compatible hardware.  Since the version number (364.72) is behind the latest version (372.54), I assume that my GTX 1060 is not yet supported.  Bummer...

Hope they can release updated drivers for the pascal-based cards soon.