CLEVO@COMPUTEX 2016

Typical of MSI though isn't it. They always gimped off the SLI connector off most of their cards didn't they. I bet they couldn't wait to bastardize MXM.

So Clevo.. are they the only game in town doing the sensible thing and keeping designs to what their customers have? 

4 minutes ago, TBoneSan said:

Typical of MSI though isn't it. They always gimped off the SLI connector off most of their cards didn't they. I bet they couldn't wait to bastardize MXM.

So Clevo.. are they the only game in town doing the sensible thing and keeping designs to what their customers have? 

From what I gathered from Prema's post, there's no reference MXM B design anymore. So yes MXM exists, but it's basically an ASUS scenario where the PCB is custom for the specific laptop it is made for. You'll NEVER upgrade to a later gen card or even be able to use an earlier gen card because the laptops are designed for X card. It makes MXM only useful for replace-ability, not upgrade-ability. That's better than BGA, but honestly not by much. When your laptop goes obsolete it'll stay obsolete, GPU-changing or not.

This is making me consider even more to simply go to desktop for the next machine I get... whenever that is. I already have more than enough issues with warranties and replacement parts right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

From what I gathered from Prema's post, there's no reference MXM B design anymore. So yes MXM exists, but it's basically an ASUS scenario where the PCB is custom for the specific laptop it is made for. You'll NEVER upgrade to a later gen card or even be able to use an earlier gen card because the laptops are designed for X card. It makes MXM only useful for replace-ability, not upgrade-ability. That's better than BGA, but honestly not by much. When your laptop goes obsolete it'll stay obsolete, GPU-changing or not.

This is making me consider even more to simply go to desktop for the next machine I get... whenever that is. I already have more than enough issues with warranties and replacement parts right now. 

Yeah that's what I was getting at - MSI didn't miss a chance to move away once no specifications were made.

Yes, MXM needs to be upgradable to to we truly worthwhile. I'm not interested in sticking with the same GPU for the lifetime of any machine. Nor do I want to swap machines every year. Not sure why these goofs don't simply embrace upgrades . It's not like they're missing out of the countless amount of people that will still happily buy a BGA-book every 18 months. If I can't have an upgradable machine i'll take nothing instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's no fun anymore being a notebook enthusiast. No standardised MXM, more BGA CPU's to come, even soldered RAM....

But it's as always: the majority consists of maleducated stupils, which even aren't able to come to the conclusion that buying a new rig every year might be not as good as the shiny 'blink blink' homepages of the Dellienwares, Arsus, MSI, etc. might suggest, inklusive crippled to non overclockable/tweakable (v)Bioses.

So I will stick with my Panther as long as I can and maybe move afterwards to the Phoenix Rev 2.0.

It's like moving back to dark medieval times, just to ensure that milking the consumer is ensured....

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/18/2016 at 0:59 PM, CaerCadarn said:

Yeah, it's no fun anymore being a notebook enthusiast. No standardised MXM, more BGA CPU's to come, even soldered RAM....

But it's as always: the majority consists of maleducated stupils, which even aren't able to come to the conclusion that buying a new rig every year might be not as good as the shiny 'blink blink' homepages of the Dellienwares, Arsus, MSI, etc. might suggest, inklusive crippled to non overclockable/tweakable (v)Bioses.

So I will stick with my Panther as long as I can and maybe move afterwards to the Phoenix Rev 2.0.

It's like moving back to dark medieval times, just to ensure that milking the consumer is ensured....

Absolutely... They are very swiftly ruining everything... literally. The P870DM is the only laptop left anywhere in the entire world that I would consider purchasing. Whatever they decide to include for screens and ports, although important, is a secondary consideration. The core value and base requirements of any machine, for me, revolves are performance, overclockability, serviceability and upgradeability and BGA delivers an unforgivable death blow to what are the non-negotiable design aspects. 

I would not consider the P775DM as an option due to it's flawed internal design, although I do like how it looks on the outside. The single MXM slot is also a real pisser, but forgivable in light of what appears to be indications that NVIDIA may end up abandoning SLI. When the P750DM has reached the end of its usefulness I will not purchase another machine with a unified heat sink. (I'm surprised that Clevo still thinks this is a good idea... I definitely don't think so now that I have a machine built with one.) It's an extremely sad situation that out of everything available anywhere in the world in a new laptop there is only one option available for purchase that is good enough to capture my interest. If and when this option disappears, unless replaced by something that is more exotic with sockets and slots, I will be officially done forever with high performance notebooks.  I refuse to spend more than about $250-350 USD on a disposable/crippled piece of garbage. If it is BGA that's the financial cap on my interest in flushing cash down the toilet. 

THuOX19.jpgvVOkEq1.jpg

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Absolutely... They are very swiftly ruining everything... literally. The P870DM is the only laptop left anywhere in the entire world that I would consider purchasing. Whatever they decide to include for screens and ports, although important, is a secondary consideration. The core value and base requirements of any machine, for me, revolves are performance, overclockability, serviceability and upgradeability and BGA delivers an unforgivable death blow to what are the non-negotiable design aspects. 

I would not consider the P775DM as an option due to it's flawed internal design, although I do like how it looks on the outside. The single MXM slot is also a real pisser, but forgivable in light of what appears to be indications that NVIDIA may end up abandoning SLI. When the P750DM has reached the end of its usefulness I will not purchase another machine with a unified heat sink. (I'm surprised that Clevo still thinks this is a good idea... I definitely don't think so now that I have a machine built with one.) It's an extremely sad situation that out of everything available anywhere in the world in a new laptop there is only one option available for purchase that is good enough to capture my interest. If and when this option disappears, unless replaced by something that is more exotic with sockets and slots, I will be officially done forever with high performance notebooks.  I refuse to spend more than about $250-350 USD on a disposable/crippled piece of garbage. If it is BGA that's the financial cap on my interest in flushing cash down the toilet. 

THuOX19.jpgvVOkEq1.jpg

Fox, have you considered a desktop?

1 hour ago, str8_an94baller said:

Fox, have you considered a desktop?

Yes, definitely. If the filthy trend in notebooks continues going down the path we are on now a desktop could ultimately be the only acceptable option I am left with on the next go-round. Two things caused me to go with the P870DM-G instead of building a desktop.

1. I absolutely hate being tethered to a desk. I really appreciate being able to take this beast everywhere I go, whether that to another room in my house or another part of the country. I travel for business, so a desktop would collect as much dust as it would HWBOT points. I don't want to have to sit in my office to use it because I already spend at least 8 to 12 hours a day doing that for work. This is why I left desktops for high performance notebooks about 9 years ago. I just played a good bit of Doom sitting in my recliner today and did some benching using hotel room AC on my last business trip. 
  2. Cost... to build a desktop that meets my expectations would be more expensive than what I have now. Before I purchased the P870DM-G I priced out what I would be satisfied with and it would cost me over $5K without monitor(s), speakers, keyboard and mouse. I would not be interested in a desktop with anything less than 5960X and if I go to a desktop I would want phase-change cooling and at least two of the fastest GPUs available at the time of the build. I am absolutely not interested in a gamer-boy desktop with a quad-core CPU and single GPU with ordinary water cooling.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, definitely. If the filthy trend in notebooks continues going down the path we are on now a desktop could ultimately be the only acceptable option I am left with on the next go-round. Two things caused me to go with the P870DM-G instead of building a desktop.

1. I absolutely hate being tethered to a desk. I really appreciate being able to take this beast everywhere I go, whether that to another room in my house or another part of the country. I travel for business, so a desktop would collect as much dust as it would HWBOT points. I don't want to have to sit in my office to use it because I already spend at least 8 to 12 hours a day doing that for work. This is why I left desktops for high performance notebooks about 9 years ago. I just played a good bit of Doom sitting in my recliner today and did some benching using hotel room AC on my last business trip. 
  2. Cost... to build a desktop that meets my expectations would be more expensive than what I have now. Before I purchased the P870DM-G I priced out what I would be satisfied with and it would cost me over $5K without monitor(s), speakers, keyboard and mouse. I would not be interested in a desktop with anything less than 5960X and if I go to a desktop I would want phase-change cooling and at least two of the fastest GPUs available at the time of the build. I am absolutely not interested in a gamer-boy desktop with a quad-core CPU and single GPU with ordinary water cooling.

5820K with big air D15 is enough for most tasks, 8/10 core is, well..., only useful for prosumer workstation and going after bench scores. I don't think it's worth going 8/10 core.

SLi, see image below.

7JbSmDM.png

Also, regarding the first part. I think this is for you.

MSI%20VR%20Backpack-1-970-80.jpg

Nah, I disagree because that's not how I view things. A 5820K is powerful, but not good enough for the kind of tasks I do for pleasure... The more CPU horsepower the better. And, yes... extreme overclocked CPU benchmark scores are just a whole lot more important to me than playing games. That's also why I care about SLI. You don't need a crazy wicked CPU to play games. And, technically, you don't need the latest and greatest GPU for playing games. You can still have a fantastic gaming experience (excluding 4K, which I dislike anyhow) with a stock GTX 970M or 980M, or a desktop version of those GPUs. Gaming is something I do only when I am bored and benching is not convenient, or I reach a plateau on my overclocked benchmark scores and can't beat the scores I have already achieve. Then is when I pass the time playing games until there is something better and faster that I can overclock and bench..

I can tell you from personal experience, and Brother @johnksss will agree here... there is a difference, and usually a big difference, with an Extreme CPU. They are really expensive because they are much better, and unless you get a poorly binned sample they always overclock better, higher and more stable, with less voltage than an unlocked non-Extreme CPU.

MSI doesn't offer anything whatsoever that interests me in notebooks. I wouldn't touch an MSI notebook with a 10-foot pole.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Nah, I disagree because that's not how I view things. A 5820K is powerful, but not good enough for the kind of tasks I do for pleasure... The more CPU horsepower the better. And, yes... extreme overclocked CPU benchmark scores are just a whole lot more important to me than playing games. That's also why I care about SLI. You don't need a crazy wicked CPU to play games. And, technically, you don't need the latest and greatest GPU for playing games. You can still have a fantastic gaming experience (excluding 4K, which I dislike anyhow) with a stock GTX 970M or 980M, or a desktop version of those GPUs. Gaming is something I do only when I am bored and benching is not convenient, or I reach a plateau on my overclocked benchmark scores and can't beat the scores I have already achieve. Then is when I pass the time playing games until there is something better and faster that I can overclock and bench..

I can tell you from personal experience, and Brother @johnksss will agree here... there is a difference, and usually a big difference, with an Extreme CPU. They are really expensive because they are much better, and unless you get a poorly binned sample they always overclock better, higher and more stable, with less voltage than an unlocked non-Extreme CPU.

MSI doesn't offer anything whatsoever that interests me in notebooks. I wouldn't touch an MSI notebook with a 10-foot pole.

MSi 16L1 might be interesting, no joined heatsink like the clevo ones

other than that, not much is known about the actual laptop itself

10 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

other than that, not much is known about the actual laptop itself

Well, it is available with 6700K, so we FINALLY see MSI pull their head out and ditch the BGA CPU trash. They have been a habitual offender for a very long time. That they have finally done something right in terms of CPU selection makes me happy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will handle dual GPU. Hopefully, they didn't pull another stupid hybrid power deliver stunt like they have in the past. So, yes... it could be interesting to see how that particular model turns out. I sincerely hope they have trouble keeping up with the orders on the 6700K models and hope all of the MSI fanboys let the BGA junk rot on warehouse shelves until they have to ultimately sell them at a loss just to get rid of the BGA filth. 

xpc_force_16l1_photo_006.png

12 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

As far as I can see in the picture Mr. Fox just posted, that is a joined heatsink. Even if the cores aren't joined, that's still joined.

Well, it is available with 6700K

Do you have some proof of this Mr. Fox? From what I saw from Mr. Najsman's testing (though he hasn't said what it is specifically, even though Prema did) he had a 6820HK in it. The posts are now redacted so I can't specifically go and re-check. But as far as I can see, no 6700K in anybody but a Clevo.

Also, as far as MSI SLI goes, the GT83 is likely to do it. And more likely to do then hybrid power crap we hate that's in the GT80

2 hours ago, D2ultima said:

As far as I can see in the picture Mr. Fox just posted, that is a joined heatsink. Even if the cores aren't joined, that's still joined.

Do you have some proof of this Mr. Fox? From what I saw from Mr. Najsman's testing (though he hasn't said what it is specifically, even though Prema did) he had a 6820HK in it. The posts are now redacted so I can't specifically go and re-check. But as far as I can see, no 6700K in anybody but a Clevo.

Also, as far as MSI SLI goes, the GT83 is likely to do it. And more likely to do then hybrid power crap we hate that's in the GT80

I looked at the link to the XoticPC web page provided by @str8_an94baller http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-16l1-11-016.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=13491

It looks like i5-6500 is standard and i7-6700K is optional. Of course, if it has a stock BIOS like a Clevo, it won't be worth a damn for overclocking unless someone with @Prema talent fixes it so it can actually run right. And, it can't be worth having if it relies on a castrated hybrid power delivery system that is dependent on the battery for being anything more than a built-in UPS. 

Edit: Also of some concern is if it is advertised as capable, why the heck are they not offering 6700K as a factory option? It causes me to be suspicious that maybe the cooling system isn't up to snuff so they're dumbing it down with a lesser CPU. I don't know... maybe I am being too suspicious. But, it is still a positive sign if MSI is finally going to offer something other than a panty-waist BGA turd CPU. Wouldn't it be great if ASUS did the same? Maybe all of the hate and discontent is finally starting to hurt BGA turdbook sales? That would be so awesome. Ridicule can be an effective deterrent to stupidity. Or, maybe it is MSI's flagship Titan getting raped by the P870DM-G that made them pay attention. Public humiliation can also be effective. Whatever the reason, the outcome looks like it has potential to be good. Like Prema says, "vote 'no' with your wallet" LOL. No money means "no money" and is understood in almost every language. I think even a dummy can understand what that means.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I looked at the link to the XoticPC web page provided by @str8_an94baller http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-16l1-11-016.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=13491

It looks like i5-6500 is standard and i7-6700K is optional. Of course, if it has a stock BIOS like a Clevo, it won't be worth a damn for overclocking unless someone with @Prema talent fixes it so it can actually run right. And, it can't be worth having if it relies on a castrated hybrid power delivery system that is dependent on the battery for being anything more than a built-in UPS. 

Edit: Also of some concern is if it is advertised as capable, why the heck are they not offering 6700K as a factory option. It causes me to be suspicious that maybe the cooling system isn't up to snuff so they're dumbing it down with a lesser CPU. I don't know... maybe I am being too suspicious. But, it is still a positive sign if MSI is finally going to offer something other than a panty-waist BGA turd CPU. Wouldn't it be great if ASUS did the same? Maybe all of the hate and discontent is finally starting to hurt BGA turdbook sales? That would be so awesome. Ridicule can be an effective deterrent to stupidity. Or, maybe it is MSI's flagship Titan getting raped by the P870DM-G that made them pay attention. Whatever the reason, the outcome looks like it has potential to be good. Like Prema says, "vote 'no' with your wallet" LOL. No money means "no money" and is understood in almost every language. I think even a dummy can understand what that means.

I see. I don't even know if that's going to be something MSI specifically offers. And even so, it comes with a 4K screen only, so that's another turnoff.

As far as I can tell, the 1080M model to which Prema spoke about where he claimed he hated non-standard configurations for no reason (and I agree), has a 6820HK. It keeps that 6820HK very cool at stock, but that's just at stock. When a review comes out, we'll see more. But I highly doubt it is capable of cooling a 6700K.

As for MSI BIOSes, they aren't so locked down like Clevos are, but for unlocking them there is a user on the MSI official forums that MSI allows called Svet who will unlock MSI BIOSes. It is a donation-given unlock however, so unlike Prema who generally releases his mods for free at some point, Svet will never do so. And as far as I know he does not do custom vBIOSes either. Even then I don't know what unlocking the BIOS actually gives. Overclocking and undervolting is possible with their stock BIOSes, however maybe TDP control and the like isn't? I can't say; I haven't checked them out. This is where my knowledge from simply gathering information fails me if I don't have machines to check myself.

I want ASUS to have nobody buy from them until they stop being so anti-consumer and improve their post-sale service. I'm not even sorry anymore. I keep seeing people running them and Razer down like there is no tomorrow, but they're honestly such anti-consumer companies with such restrictive warranties it makes me cringe. I'd rather EVGA and Gigabyte make some decent attempts and MSI stop being so far up their own ass with their GT72's success that they actually do something for the consumer. I also wish Clevo would fix their software issues real quick, as that's the only main glaring problem they have right now, but oh well. If only the socketed machines cost about the same as the soldered ones, our arguements would be much better. If a soldered machine with a 3 year warranty costs less than a socketed machine with a 1 year warranty, then an average joe isn't going to care about spending more because of the laptop environment that tech websites have built up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Joined or not, that rat's nest of a heat sink looks like a real abortion if you ask me. It may work great and just look goofy, and that would be OK. Who cares what it looks like if it works excellent. But, I'm skeptical after seeing a close-up.

Yeah, I know about Svet. I still have the vBIOS Tuner thing he was selling back in the 580M days, but never use it any more. The @svl7 vBIOS was far more effective than any tuning that was doable with that tool. Unless he stopped doing vBIOSes, I think he does those as well as sBIOS. 

I'm not an ASUS notebook fan. Never have been, and probably never will be. Their turdbooks are simply junk and their customer service is rancid based on everything I have heard straight from the horse's mouth (unhappy ASUS notebook owners that have no reason to lie to me). But, I don't care who joins the BGA hater club... there is strength in numbers. I'm surely just living in a dream world to even think there would be enough intelligent life left to ransack the viability of the bogus trash concept of soldering the most critical components to the mainboard of an expensive computer.

But, in a perfect world all of them--except maybe the nunchucks designing Alienware jokebooks--all of the OEMs would switch to socketed desktop CPUs to avoid ridicule and financial losses. That's my idea of paradise... death to BGA excrement... to hell with Intel's roadmap. They can fall in line with market-driven demand for excellence or go bankrupt loving their feces covered BGA roadmap. We can still hope until there is no reason left to have hope, right? As long as the high performance notebook market is almost exclusively comprised of gullible consumers that are blithering idiots, exacerbated by professional review shills that are scared to call them out for selling trash, there's not much reason to have hope. But, it ain't over until the fat lady sings. All it takes is one match... carefully placed... to start a devastating forest fire. Keep the fire/BGA hate burning... complacency and acceptance are our enemies. If we cannot change Intel's mind directly, making people ashamed to buy BGA can be just as effective. Point and laugh... often.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Joined or not, that rat's nest of a heat sink looks like a real abortion if you ask me. I may work great and just look goofy, and that would be OK. Who cares what it looks like if it works excellent. But, I'm skeptical after seeing a close-up.

Yeah, I know about Svet. I still have the vBIOS Tuner thing he was selling back in the 580M days, but never use it any more. The @svl7 vBIOS was far more effective than any tuning that was doable with that tool. Unless he stopped doing vBIOSes, I think he does those as well as sBIOS. 

I'm not an ASUS notebook fan. Never have been, and probably never will be. Their turdbooks are simply junk and their customer service is rancid based on everything I have heard straight from the horse's mouth (unhappy ASUS notebook owners that have no reason to lie to me). But, I don't care who joins the BGA hater club... there is strength in numbers. I'm surely just living in a dream world to even think there would be enough intelligent life left to ransack the viability of the bogus trash concept of soldering the most critical components to the mainboard of an expensive computer.

But, in a perfect world all of them--except maybe the nunchucks designing Alienware jokebooks--all of the OEMs would switch to socketed desktop CPUs to avoid ridicule and financial losses. That's my idea of paradise... death to BGA excrement... to hell with Intel's roadmap. They can fall in line with market-driven demand for excellence or go bankrupt loving their feces covered BGA roadmap. We can still hope until there is no reason left to have hope, right? As long as the high performance notebook market is almost exclusively comprised of gullible consumers that are blithering idiots, exacerbated by professional review shills that are scared to call them out for selling trash, there's not much reason to have hope. But, it ain't over until the fat lady sings. All it takes is one match... carefully placed... to start a devastating forest fire. Keep the fire/BGA hate burning... complacency and acceptance are our enemies. If we cannot change Intel's mind directly, making people ashamed to buy BGA can be just as effective. Point and laugh... often.

don't knock on it till you try it

the thermal bridge isn't connected by solder, only thermal pad. so there's some excess heat being shared (but not w/ the gpu core) but that heat is not as much as the p7xxdm's heatsink

Yeah, but 'sharing heat' isn't a good thing to do. Extreme overclocked CPUs get so much hotter than GPUs and doing anything that might increase CPU temps is a bad idea. But, it is good that it is not permanently joined by solder. Being bolted or screwed together is great. That potentially opens the door to some custom heat sink modding that could be more effective than the stock setup. As I suggested before, if works well it really doesn't matter what it looks like. It's covered up and nobody sees it, so results is the only thing that matters. It just looks messy, that's all. 

Yeah, but 'sharing heat' isn't a good thing to do. Extreme overclocked CPUs get so much hotter than GPUs and doing anything that might increase CPU temps is a bad idea. But, it is good that it is not permanently joined by solder. Being bolted or screwed together is great. That potentially opens the door to some custom heat sink modding that could be more effective than the stock setup. As I suggested before, if works well it really doesn't matter what it looks like. It's covered up and nobody sees it, so results is the only thing that matters. It just looks messy, that's all. 

oh well~

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

You're absolutely right @Mr. Fox, I have a bad experiance with the MSI GT80 Titan i7 6700HQ 980m SLI, the temp was jumping over 90's for no reason for both CPU and GPU even after I used a CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Compound, I sold it after 1 month, never like it.

2 hours ago, Dr. AMK said:

You're absolutely right @Mr. Fox, I have a bad experiance with the MSI GT80 Titan i7 6700HQ 980m SLI, the temp was jumping over 90's for no reason for both CPU and GPU even after I used a CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Compound, I sold it after 1 month, never like it.

That's really sad, too. That machine had amazing potential, but MSI really botched some stuff that ruined it. I hate it when learning difficult lessons the hard way is expensive. It happens to the best of us, including me, unfortunately. It's really hard to get through to people, especially about the evils of BGA filth, when they are surrounded by dumb-dumbs that are whispering that it's OK. What I find puzzling is the lack of effort that goes into cooling systems on some of these machines. I'm including the Clevo models with the unified heat sinks. It makes you wonder if they are stupid or just don't care if things turn out right. Thermal management needs to be at or near the top of their priorities list, and lowering TDP as a cheat is a half-assed approach that hinders performance and facilitates cutting corners.