CLEVO@COMPUTEX 2016

5 hours ago, T6nn_k said:

I dont use my P370EM clickpad that offten, but when I do I like it. I specially like the looks and huge tracking field. Overall I don't see what the fuzz is about it when you have a decent mouse to use.

Well, I guess to each his own. Yes, a mouse is always better. But, I have had the unfortunate experience of using about a half dozen different machines with one of those abominations for a pointing device and I find they are so damned miserable to use that it makes me immediately angry when I find I need to. They do have a cleaner look to them but I find the functionality to be truly horrid. My wife's XPS 15 has one and when she needs me to use her computer I actually stop and go grab a mouse because I hate them so bad I won't even try to use one for a few minutes. Having the button area as a tracking field is the problem for me. If finger tracking stopped at the imaginary button fields I might not hate them so much. My wife has had her XPS 15 for almost two years and has grown accustomed to it, but even now she wishes it was a regular touchpad. It's the only thing she doesn't particularly care for about her laptop.

8 minutes ago, OBSIDIANPC said:

Well CLEVO keyboards, on the P751 / P771 / P870, are very decent, a big boost in quality over past models.

I agree. Some people complain about the P870DM keyboard, but I like it. I think most of the complaints are that it could be larger, given the wide surfaces on the palm rest on the sides which is wasted space that could be used for a slightly larger keyboardIt is much better than the one that I had on the P570WM and there is nothing I dislike about it. 

I wish they would get rid of the fingerprint reader as a standard feature and make it available to those that want to pay extra for it. I don't use it and I would prefer to not have the drivers installed in Windows. I am going to see if the fingerprinter reader is controlled by a discrete/dedicated ribbon cable. If it is not integrated into the touchpad ribbon cable I think I am going to just disconnect it from the motherboard. Do you know if the narrower of the two ribbon cables is exclusively for the fingerprint reader? 

I think you can disconnect some cable, but im not sure, never had to go that deep into one.

One thing that i like on laptops like the Elitebooks and Precisions is that you can pretty much disable anything in the BIOS, not only you won´t need drivers running but, even better, you can get really low DPC values.

Now if we are complaining about something real, should i even start the ACPI/DPC discussion? On some models it makes me want to cry so hard. I think gamers need to start noticing DPC spikes as something that also affects the performance for gaming, because professional users like me have no expression with a manufacturer like CLEVO.

Even manufacturers like Dell and HP, with their professional models, sometimes just fail, other times they make perfect systems, like my Zbook, DPC readings are just out of this world good.

On some systems when running a game, sometimes i see a micro-stutter, frame-skipping, whatever you want to call it, ALT-TAB and look at a DPC graph, there´s your spike.... i´ve seen this a LOT! When you do real time stuff that DPC spike will ruin your work, a click in your audio recording, bad frames in your video capture/projection, a glitch in your stream. What can we do when the culprit is ACPI? Not much im afraid.

Edited by OBSIDIANPC

7 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

can prema bios maybe implement disable/enable certain features?

Yes, lots of them. But, that is not one of them. I don't know if the fingerprint reader hardware is 100% self-contained on the daughterboard connected to the mainboard via ribbon cable, or if only the interface (the actual reader itself) is connected via ribbon cable. That could have a huge bearing on what can be managed in the BIOS. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, lots of them. But, that is not one of them. I don't know if the fingerprint reader hardware is 100% self-contained on the daughterboard connected to the mainboard via ribbon cable, or if only the interface (the actual reader itself) is connected via ribbon cable. That could have a huge bearing on what can be managed in the BIOS. 

ah well, how much of an issue is the fingerprint reader on your P870DM? It couldn't be that bad could it?

This was at Computex MSI booth under GT73 Titan. It says Wide-View 120Hz and 94% NTSC (and that is 100% adobeRGB coverage) screen. So it could be IPS/AHVA panel. I don't think they made a mistake there with NTSC and not sRGB. There're no TN panels with such wide color gammut available AFAIK.

Screenshot_1.png

1 hour ago, Red Line said:

This was at Computex MSI booth under GT73 Titan. It says Wide-View 120Hz and 94% NTSC (and that is 100% adobeRGB coverage) screen. So it could be IPS/AHVA panel. I don't think they made a mistake there with NTSC and not sRGB. There're no TN panels with such wide color gammut available AFAIK.

We had 95% NTSC Gamut 15.6" AUO panels before. Here's a glossy one. Here's a matte one. 94% NTSC is not anything new. It IS new for 17", and it is new for 120Hz, however I'm taking that with a grain of salt that it is 95% matte NTSC 120Hz. Laptops usually do not get such good panels; I'll have to wait and see for that one... though I'll be happy if it is true. And the viewing angles aren't absolute garbage... that'd help too.

18 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I wish they would get rid of the fingerprint reader as a standard feature and make it available to those that want to pay extra for it.

I don't use it and I would prefer to not have the drivers installed in Windows. I am going to see if the fingerprinter reader is controlled by a discrete/dedicated ribbon cable. If it is not integrated into the touchpad ribbon cable I think I am going to just disconnect it from the motherboard. Do you know if the narrower of the two ribbon cables is exclusively for the fingerprint reader? 

I agree with this. I've never used my reader. I wanted to for online passwords, but it never worked properly.

Why not just not install the drivers, and possibly disable it in device manager? I don't have the drivers for mine and I don't get any errors or any "please installs"... no W10 means it won't try to forcibly install the drivers for me. I also had an old 2005 laptop that had a fingerprint reader that kept connecting/disconnecting because the reader was broken, and a good old disable in device manager fixed that for good, even across reboots.

These 120Hz TN displays will hopefully use the same eDP connection my P771DM-G have, doesn't matter to me if they have G-Sync compatibility i have it disabled 90% of the time anyways, the only game i own where Gsync is godsent is Guild Wars 2, in Overwatch, CSGO and Quake Live i prefer tearing over slight mouse delay. Like @Mr. Fox and @D2ultima i ultimately prefer TN Panels over IPS cause 90% of my time i play on my NB or Desktop so i prefer lower latency over better pictures/colors.

34 minutes ago, Scerate said:

These 120Hz TN displays will hopefully use the same eDP connection my P771DM-G have, doesn't matter to me if they have G-Sync compatibility i have it disabled 90% of the time anyways, the only game i own where Gsync is godsent is Guild Wars 2, in Overwatch, CSGO and Quake Live i prefer tearing over slight mouse delay. Like @Mr. Fox and @D2ultima i ultimately prefer TN Panels over IPS cause 90% of my time i play on my NB or Desktop so i prefer lower latency over better pictures/colors.

I've  finally had the chance to experience gsync for the first time over the past couple of days..  Color me unimpressed. I've got my screen OCed to 100hz so it probably makes less of an impact at high fps...  But geez...  I don't see what all the fuss was about. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, TBoneSan said:

I've  finally had the chance to experience gsync for the first time over the past couple of days..  Color me unimpressed. I've got my screen OCed to 100hz so it probably makes less of an impact at high fps...  But geez...  I don't see what all the fuss was about. 

yep i'm mostly unimpressed by it too it is a nice gimmick imho but i would take 100-120hz over gsync any day, i think in GW2 it helped somewhat cause the game is prone to stutter quite a lot if textures get's streamed, but it really is the only game i actually noticed something. That's probably why i still rock a pretty old Asus Monitor on my Desktop too, one of the first 120hz 3DVision 1 capable displays, but still to date i didn't even saw a single screen i want to switch to, plus the fact Fast Sync is much more useful for me imho

Edited by Scerate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have 2 panel, gsync 144 1ms tn in the clevo and a 99% coverage srgb/argb with high gamut desktop, probably would be a better compromise

I personally rock a Nec 27" pa272w 1440 that costs over 1300 with the spectraview calibrator, going back to anything less is difficult /:

I dont think gsync/freesync is the best solution for all games. In shooters i prefer ULMB/120hz over anything but for racing games/RTS and some mmo's gsync is amazing. 

*- Hardware based gsync in a desktop monitor, not sure the performance difference if any.

Edited by cheneyx

1 hour ago, Red Line said:

So we have a user with the actual GTX 1080M or 1080 or whatever it is that has 2k cores based laptop) More tests coming...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/pascal-what-do-we-know-discussion-latest-news-updates-1000m-series-gpus.763032/page-399#post-10279094

i7 6100H?

That is the MSI 16L1 non g-sync version ...no SLI connector...and no more MXM B reference design...

Clock for clock identical results to mobile GTX980...GPU-Z is also right about Shadder count, they cut it down as usual.

So there you go a 980 DIE shrink called Pascal, which uses less voltage and can run higher clocks, but sadly throttles like no tomorrow on stock vBIOS (at least in a shell like that).

The same with desktop chips. Pascal is Maxwell on steroids) But it runs dx12 games a little better, though.

As i understood it's an M version that costs like 980M and not like 980. So if 1080M is ~65% faster than 980M (3dmark fs) for the same price and can do sli (i hope), great time for an upgrade)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am not impressed with non-standard MXM designs for absolutely no technical reason (TGPs are lower than Maxwell) and crippled vBIOS that even throttles its stock Turbo clocks. After all these are sold as overclock-able, so yeah great if they don't even run stock clocks...the regular dude will be happy to set 200Mhz+ and not even notice that the card runs it for like 15 seconds before falling back below stock. There is also more coming (which I can't talk about) which will restrain upgrade-ability even further...  

On 6/18/2016 at 2:48 PM, Prema said:

I am not impressed with non-standard MXM designs for absolutely no technical reason (TGPs are lower than Maxwell)  and crippled vBIOS that even throttles its stock Turbo clocks. After all these are sold as overclock-able, so yeah great if they don't even run stock clocks...the regular dude will be happy to set 200Mhz+ and not even notice that the card runs it for like 15 seconds before falling back below stock. There is also more coming (which I can't talk about) which will restrain upgrade-ability even further...  

The last sentence is key, because even your firmware modding talent cannot fix the underlying evil that awaits us in the dark corridors. As I have mentioned before, the bastards calling the shots on design are NOT our friends. Restricting the ability to upgrade and using proprietary filth underscores how evil and underhanded these worthless slobs are. Please vote 'no' by refusing to pay money for trash. Forget about whether or not it is fast and powerful. We must all stay focused on the bigger picture and send a message that screams 'bite me' to all of them. As enthusiasts, we always seem to end up hamstrung and hog-tied by the lowest common denominators in the laptop fanboy club and the paid review shills that cannot call them out for selling garbage, but at least we can do our best to draw blood. Delivered in sufficient quantities and at an eardrum-piercing level public ridicule is our best way of getting their attention.