CLEVO@COMPUTEX 2016

11 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I had hoped it'd happen sooner. I want it to happen as soon as possible. Because the quicker it happens, the easier it is for the market to shrug it off. Laptops being soldered? Nobody really cares. Desktops being soldered? Big backlash. Let them get rid of the thought of soldered anything being the only choice from the get-go.

Maybe. Hard to say if it will matter. Stupid is often fatal and incurable. But, your logic is sound, if not optimistic. I rather see Intel and NVIDIA both go bankrupt and leave us with nothing AMD powered Chihuahua-grade trashbooks, desktops with AMD chips, smartphones, Chromebooks and consoles than have to put up with this. If I can't have it my way I don't want anything... screw 'em. I won't pay money for Intel and NVIDIA BGA filth... ain't gonna happen. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Fox said:

Maybe. Hard to say if it will matter. Stupid is often fatal and incurable. But, your logic is sound, if not optimistic. I rather see Intel and NVIDIA go bankrupts and leave us with nothing but BGA trashbooks with AMD chips, smartphones, Chromebooks and consoles than have to put up with this. If I can't have it my way I don't want anything... screw 'em. 

My logic is extended from something I heard a long time before. "When they game for <namehere> I didn't say anything, because I didn't know <namehere>. When they came for the <people here> I didn't say anything because I wasn't <people here>. When they came for etc etc" and it goes on. At the end it says "when they came for me, nobody was left to say anything".  It's like that. If they get a slow-creep on all devices, and make soldered chips sell like wildfire in desktops from pre-built machines, and everything is BGA-only, then when they make the switch to mainstream high end chips and enthusiast boards/chips, who's going to say anything? They'd have pushed AMD into nothingness, they'd be the kings of performance, and what they say goes. Simple.

Then when desktop gamers want to say that's bullshit, then hey what's going to happen? Everyone else will (rightfully, including myself) rip into them saying how they never lifted a finger before it bothered them, when it happened with all laptops and all lower end OEM tier machines and all mITX AIO machines like the Alienware Alpha, etc. So now they're not allowed to complain, because it's the same principle.

But if they push for the whole market right now? Soldered CPU announcements, soldered GPU announcements, buy board with CPU & GPU, no multi-GPU support at all, etc? YEAH. Bring it. See how everybody get vex at everything, and we could ride the wave and push for laptops to have sockets returned and to get rid of soldered-only as the only choice. THEN we might see something. That's why I hoped it'd be earlier than later. Because the later it is, the more other ventures get time to settle, and the less likely are they to be overturned.

• Founder
1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Don't you just hate it how idiots with low standards and lack of intelligence ruin things for everyone?  

Oh yeah and unfortunately there's a LOT more of them than us. 

18 minutes ago, Brian said:

Oh yeah and unfortunately there's a LOT more of them than us. 

Yup... and they don't even know what 'high performance" means. Power to the sheeple [translation]

Poop-Eating Monster.png

Clevo doesn't seem to show too much interest in AMD, but their BIOS will have the usual basic AMD support for alternative drop-in cards.

1 hour ago, Prema said:

Clevo doesn't seem to show too much interest in AMD, but their BIOS will have the usual basic AMD support for alternative drop-in cards.

Probably doesn't help matters that AMD doesn't show too much interest in enthusiasts, especially us crazy laptop overclockers. Maybe if they stepped up with some very compelling high-end notebook components Clevo and other OEMs might change their tune. I think the ball is, and has been, in AMD's court for a good while now, but it seems like every year their forfeit to crown without so much as a half-hearted effort.

• Founder

Well the last few years AMD wasn't able to compete in performance notebooks because their stuff ran far too hot and consumed too much power. Supposedly that will change with Polaris but we'll see, I'm always skeptical of anything AMD says.

13 minutes ago, Brian said:

Well the last few years AMD wasn't able to compete in performance notebooks because their stuff ran far too hot and consumed too much power. Supposedly that will change with Polaris but we'll see, I'm always skeptical of anything AMD says.

Agreed. Most of us don't like to be wrong, but I know I am not alone hoping I am dead wrong this time. I'm not optimistic, but I will be watching and hoping they do something really awesome.

That's reference Titan X performance, if that really shows up. It's not a GTX 1080 obviously, but 1080M it'd work.

AMD doesn't even have a Polaris GPU capable of that performance; they have nothing to compete in the mobile sector. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Here's this... kind of interesting to look at. This is basic 200W GTX 980 on MXM performance. No more, no less.

That picture confuses me. The GPU-Z says 1080M, though Clevo's own says 1080, and the 980 is still in your overlay.

What do you mean by basic as well? I know you don't consider stock as "basic" xD.

7 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

That picture confuses me. The GPU-Z says 1080M, though Clevo's own says 1080, and the 980 is still in your overlay.

What do you mean by basic as well? I know you don't consider stock as "basic" xD.

Good catch. I forgot to update the label in AIDA64 Sensor Panel. That has to be typed in manually. I fixed it here.

Capture.JPG

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Good catch. I forgot to update the label in AIDA64 Sensor Panel. That has to be typed in manually. I fixed it here.

Well I checked your review benches and it seems that card is a bit better by stock than the overclocked 980 in 3DM11 graphics performance. Which I would assume to be a good thing, if at stock, since a max OC'd 980 is around Titan X performance give or take.

But does it overclock? Assuming that's one that Eurocom sent you to check out for them.

Nope, Eurocom hasn't sent me anything, but that's all I can say for now.  Steam sure does think of weird things to call achievements.

mm.jpg

Well... oh well. You have your own other connections I suppose. If only I could get some things like that to play around with here =D. Instead I'm stuck fighting a few dead pixels that seems to have appeared on both my monitors. >___>. 

12 minutes ago, OBSIDIANPC said:

Clevo might not always give us what we want, but hey, at least we are getting LCD back covers with LEDs! Who cares about being soldered or not when you have Leds?

LOL!

And the crowd of panty-waisted gamer-boy BGA children went wild... hurray for LED lids!!!

Their friends on Facebook are going to be so jealous now. 

Performance? Nah, that don't matter... Yo dawg, weez gots LEDs, man. LEDs! Know wut I'm saying, bitch? LEDs!!!

@Mr. Fox I see you are enjoying your 'retirement'... :D

Clevo is catering for 'Everyone', that's the cool thing about them.

OP updated with some 'info'! ;)

21 minutes ago, Prema said:

@Mr. Fox I see you are enjoying your 'retirement'... :D

Clevo is catering for 'Everyone', that's the cool thing about them.

OP updated with some 'info'! ;)

Clevo is quickly turning into a monopoly. Other OEMs need to pay attention before it's too late.

vVOkEq1.jpg THuOX19.jpg

Did you guys ever wonder how the other side of the 'red-orb' that the Fox is entwined around looks like?

e538d5b6fc0abe25ce02489ffdf37214?d=https

You already know the "Fox", now say hello to the "MR.":

6JkVK0f.jpg