Enabling x1.2 without DIY eGPU Setup?

Groovu

I have a T420 (i5-2540m) without dGPU hooked up to a GTX 950 with PE4C v3.

Everything is working currently, but the results seem lackluster.  My Firestrike score is 4229.  Looking at other systems using the same CPU, the highest I have seen is 6000~.

GPU-Z reports that my system supports PCI-E x16 v2, but is currently running PCI-E x16 v1.1.

I have checked my BIOS and the only PCI-E option I can see is: use "Gen 1" or "Automatic" detection, no Gen 2 option specifically.

Will I have to use DIY eGPU Setup to enable x1.2 speeds or is there a way to force it to happen?

You have to make the GPU do something in order to make it run at x1 gen2 speeds.

In GPU-Z there is a question-mark next to the bus speed indicator. Click it and it will give you a menu to run a short render test. This will make the GPU "wake up" and run at x1.2.

The "automatic" option in BIOS basically means "Gen2 if available, otherwise gen1".

Edited by Arbystrider

I forgot to mention that I ran GPU-Z and started the render test, it read x1.1.

An interesting thing I noticed: rebooting my system and checking GPU-Z, the connection reads x1.2.  But as soon as I start the render test, it drops down to x1.1.  I also ran Firestrike while it was in x1.2 off a fresh reboot, and my Firestrike score was similar to before.

So it's capable of x1.2, detects x1.2, but drops to x1.1 while in use.  I do not understand why it would drop to a lower speed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.