EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
svl7

CoD - Modern Warfare 3: Optimization & Discussion

post-80-14494992003792_thumb.jpg

So, CoD MW3 got just released a couple of days ago, did some of you guys get it as well or am I the only one here who likes this game? :)

I haven't played it that much yet, but from what I've seen so far I really like it, fantastic game! Course it's very similar to MW2 and one can say that it gets repetitive, I however really enjoy such fast paced games (the multiplayer mode) and from what I've seen the campaign is worth the couple of hours.

There's also a nice co-op mode, which lets you play some missions or survival mode, which I think is a lot of fun. That's even the part of the game I played most so far.

Anyway, in you plan to get the game (or already have it), you should make sure to set it up properly, especially the video settings. Here some tips:

In the video settings, choose "Windowed (No Border)" for Display Mode, this will allow you to quickly swap between windows with alt+tab without the usual issues.

Then probably the most important setting:

Go to "Advanced video settings" and change "Image Quality" to "Native"

This is the only way to make the game run at your native resolution, otherwise it gets upscaled from 720p. The difference is obviously huge.

For the rest of the settings it depends on the hardware, but if you have a high-end mobile GPU you can easily max it out.

If you want even more tweaks go to the config file of the game, it allows you to do some more tweaking.

E.g. you can up the anisotropic filtering to 16x or raise to AA to 8x, which otherwise isn't possible.

[FONT=arial]seta r_texFilterAnisoMax "16"[/FONT][FONT=arial]seta r_texFilterAnisoMin "16"[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]seta r_aaSamples "8"[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]seta r_ssao "2_High"[/FONT]

Or if you want to have more (or less) corpses laying around, just modify these entries (can cause quite some GPU load):

[FONT=arial]seta ragdoll_max_simulating "32"
[/FONT][FONT=arial]seta ai_corpseCount "32"[/FONT]

Also these can come in handy, it enables the flash warning, and the grenade warning when you're looking trough a scope:

[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]cg_hudGrenadeIconInScope "1"
[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=arial]cg_hudGrenadeIconEnabledFlash "1"[/FONT]

Edit:

Completely forgot... if you have a dual GPU system, make sure to change the "MultiGPU" setting in the config file to "1".

This will apparently also remove the fps cap.

Though I'm not even sure whether there's already a CF profile for MW3... no idea about Nvidia either.

I'll let you know in case I find some more handy tweaks.

Edit 2:

It might be useful to make the config file "read-only", to prevent the game from automatically changing back some settings, even though I didn't have any issues so far.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 2

I played quite a bit of Call of Duty 2, but can't say I am too impressed with some videos of MW3 I saw online. I don't like the games in which you're encouraged to compete against your own team (like here you kill someone and then you can "steal" a kill by picking up some crap).

Decent game imho, but nothing special. I wasn't too impressed with BF3 either, which except for the graphics, it looks exactly like Bad Company 2, which I barely played due to constant disconnects, punkbuster bugs etc. Maybe its just me, but I remember having way more fun playing Doom 2 in LAN. I guess after 15 years or whatever I just cba to buy a game that has, in terms of gameplay, barely moved from Unreal/Quake.

I hope that at least the game works fine technically so, unlike Bad Company 2, you actually do get something for your money. I haven't bought either BF3 or MW3, because they just feel too boring and the genre to me feels it could use something original.

I may try the single player when price comes down but don't see myself jumping into the online aspect... heard of epic cheating but can't say any of these games are free from it really even BF3 has cheating already...

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By kkzhe
      Hi all,

I've my GTX 970M working for a good while, but I decided to re-apply the thermal paste today because my card seemed to get a bit hot and my gaming would suffer from fps drops. I figured re-applying the thermal paste would work, but it didn't. I then uninstalled the drivers and tried reinstalling different drivers to see if they'd perform better, but for some reason my FPS is constantly below 60 FPS no matter what game it is. I've tried checking my settings in nVidia control panel, I tried flashing the vBios, I've changed countless settings to try and make it work but nothing is working. I also noticed that when I use Speed Fan, the GPU section doesn't consistently show my GPU temps. It stays at 0 Celsius for the most part, but then randomly reads 47 Celsius.

Any ideas of what could be wrong or how to possibly fix this?

**EDIT**

So I've noticed that the card just isn't working at all, which explains the low FPS. Although i'm not entirely sure why it's doing that. MSI Afterburner shows that it doesn't have any activity as well as the built-in nVidia GPU activity application I've got going on my task bar. In-game the icon isn't even colored, it's just black and white. I updated my bios with Prema's latest for my P150EM and I flashed my vBios, but still nothing. I've also tried installing 5 different drivers and they all yield the same results.

Help would be much appreciated!!!!!

• By kkzhe
      Hi all,

I've my GTX 970M working for a good while, but I decided to re-apply the thermal paste today because my card seemed to get a bit hot and my gaming would suffer from fps drops. I figured re-applying the thermal paste would work, but it didn't. I then uninstalled the drivers and tried reinstalling different drivers to see if they'd perform better, but for some reason my FPS is constantly below 60 FPS no matter what game it is. I've tried checking my settings in nVidia control panel, I tried flashing the vBios, I've changed countless settings to try and make it work but nothing is working. I also noticed that when I use Speed Fan, the GPU section doesn't consistently show my GPU temps. It stays at 0 Celsius for the most part, but then randomly reads 47 Celsius.

Any ideas of what could be wrong or how to possibly fix this?

• By TheFinnishComrade
      I did not find a topic related to the greatest mod ever (in my opinion atleast) and the great base game beneath it.
      The Battlefield 2 and Forgotten hope 2 mod for it.
      Battlefield 2 is quite self explanatory, one of the earlier battlefields that broke the bank, though 11 years old now and official online closed. It is still played and enjoyed as more teamplay based than the newer 3/4 in my opinion.
      And the greatest mod for it if you like ww2 theme much more than modern like I do, Forgotten Hope 2.
      Which transfers the game completely for more realistic but not to an ultra hardcore point.

The game is problematic with win 10 but can be done, all the needed information is on Battlelog.co which is the revive project of BF2.
      And Forgotten hope can be found on its website forgottenhope.warumdarum.de.

Have you played Fh2 and what are your thoughts on the mod/game?
    • By Brian
      Later today, during a livestream at 1pm PST / 4pm EST / 9pm BST, DICE will reveal the next installment of the Battlefield series. However, thanks to a leak on Xbox Live, we already know the game will be called Battlefield 1 and set in an alternate universe during World War 1.

Many might not remember but back in 1999, before Refraction Games merged with DICE, they had a game set in an alternate universe during WW1 called Codename Eagle and it was groundbreaking at the time. Let's hope this game manages to do the same and isn't just another small iteration in the Battlefield series. Once the reveal goes live, we'll continue to update this post. 

View the live event now:
      Watch live video from Battlefield on www.twitch.tv

The official trailer can be viewed below:

So here's what the developers at DICE revealed about this new game today:

Persistence and immersion: The game is going to continue to focus on immersion with destructible environments and DICE wants to take things a step further with persistence by including a persistent squad feature allowing squads to jump seamlessly from one server to another and retaining their XP. 

Weapons with attachments and trench warfare: Pistol, sniper weapons, melee weapons such as a bayonet, sabers, trench clubs, shovel, light machine guns, and flamethrower. That's right a friggin' flamethrower!  Melee weapon combat was created brand new from the ground up for Battlefield 1 and promises to offer a new twist in gameplay. Of course, since it's a WW1 focused game, trench warfare will be a given.

Vehicles: As evident in the video there will be scout planes, bomber planes, tanks, light tanks, ships, boats, battleships, horses and more. DICE was being cagey about the horses but during the Q&A with the audience, they begrudgingly admitted that players will be able to ride the horses like you would any other vehicle in the game. In the trailer there's a zeppelin hovering above a player so there's a good chance players will be able to pilot those as well. 

Single player campaign: The campaign will take place through the eyes of several different people and it will focus on the world around them. This is a departure from the previous games where you have a singular main character.

There was no mention of community server support via dedicated server files and we most likely will not get that as EA has not been supportive of community servers and mods since Battlefield 2. 

The first hands-on event of the game will take place in June during EA Play and it is then we'll learn a lot more about the game's various maps, modes, multiplayer etc. The official release date is Oct 21st 2016 while those that pre-order get access on Oct 18th 2016 and if you sign up on battlefield.com and become a Battlefield Insider, you will have a chance to play the open beta. 

• By Brian
      Later today, during a livestream at 1pm PST / 4pm EST / 9pm BST, DICE will reveal the next installment of the Battlefield series. However, thanks to a leak on Xbox Live, we already know the game will be called Battlefield 1 and set in an alternate universe during World War 1.

Many might not remember but back in 1999, before Refraction Games merged with DICE, they had a game set in an alternate universe during WW1 called Codename Eagle and it was groundbreaking at the time. Let's hope this game manages to do the same and isn't just another small iteration in the Battlefield series. Once the reveal goes live, we'll continue to update this post. 

View the live event now:
      Watch live video from Battlefield on www.twitch.tv

The official trailer can be viewed below:

So here's what the developers at DICE revealed about this new game today:

Persistence and immersion: The game is going to continue to focus on immersion with destructible environments and DICE wants to take things a step further with persistence by including a persistent squad feature allowing squads to jump seamlessly from one server to another and retaining their XP. 

Weapons with attachments and trench warfare: Pistol, sniper weapons, melee weapons such as a bayonet, sabers, trench clubs, shovel, light machine guns, and flamethrower. That's right a friggin' flamethrower!  Melee weapon combat was created brand new from the ground up for Battlefield 1 and promises to offer a new twist in gameplay. Of course, since it's a WW1 focused game, trench warfare will be a given.

Vehicles: As evident in the video there will be scout planes, bomber planes, tanks, light tanks, ships, boats, battleships, horses and more. DICE was being cagey about the horses but during the Q&A with the audience, they begrudgingly admitted that players will be able to ride the horses like you would any other vehicle in the game. In the trailer there's a zeppelin hovering above a player so there's a good chance players will be able to pilot those as well. 

Single player campaign: The campaign will take place through the eyes of several different people and it will focus on the world around them. This is a departure from the previous games where you have a singular main character.

There was no mention of community server support via dedicated server files and we most likely will not get that as EA has not been supportive of community servers and mods since Battlefield 2. 

The first hands-on event of the game will take place in June during EA Play and it is then we'll learn a lot more about the game's various maps, modes, multiplayer etc. The official release date is Oct 21st 2016 while those that pre-order get access on Oct 18th 2016 and if you sign up on battlefield.com and become a Battlefield Insider, you will have a chance to play the open beta. 

View full article

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.