Alienware 18x r2 dying again.

So i got my alienware fixed and its failed again. This time it sort of works it has vertical lines on the screen and cant boot into windows.

So im gonna swap these cards out. I was thinging about swapping to another amd card.

Do you think an AMD R9 M290X would be compatable?

I know people are swapping to 980ms but ive heard they just dont work 100% and fail a lot. So what GPU do you think that can work other than 680m and 7970m

• 1 month later...

I have dual 980m in SLI I came dual 7970m CF. (used the same heat sinks running at a cool 70°C while bench marking with 3dmark11. Oh also running @Prema V2 generic vBIOS for the Clevo cards on a Dell cards. They run well about 90% of the time, there just is that occasional throttling. The swapping from PEG to IGFX seems to work until a Hard reboot, Soft reboot It doesn't seem to reset that BIOS trick. I can't overclock them at all or i get throttling though. BUT they are very fast and I haven't found game yet that "needs" that extra speed at 1080p anyway.

Just my 2 cents. I hope this helps you decide what is best for your needs! And sorry to hear you are having trouble with your AW man ;(

• 6 months later...

Also the 7970, 8970, and R9 M290x are the exact same card. just slight overclocks and vram increases on the later ones by default. I think the 7970 and the 8970 are a bit different that the 8970 has enduro/graphics switching capability added, but the R9 M290x actually shows as an 8970m in gpuz etc. Same with the gtx 680m, 780m, and 880m. can save a bit of cash by getting the older gens and clocking them the same as the 'newer' ones for the exact same performance.

Remember the biggest difference on 7970m and 8970m is the vram.

Yes you can overclock a 7970m to be like a 8970m but you can't put more vram in it.

The 7970m has 2 gb vram

The 8970m has 4 gb vram

Anyway I have upgraded my m18x r2 from a single 8970m to gtx 980m SLI.

I haven't had a single issue with the 980m after flashing premas vbios and installed a throttle free costume driver.

My only issue is my 330w power supply can't keep up and turns off. Think it has served it's days and I will get a new one.