Memory upgrade for M14x question

Frenzy

Hi, I am new in the forums and im sure this question has been asked a hundred times but i would like to make it more personal. I just bought an Alienware m14x with an i7 processor ( The one after stock) The 900 screen, the upgraded Wifi and 4gb of ram, I want to upgrade to 8gb and i have a vague idea of what i should buy. Is this good for the notebook or is this even compatible for notebooks? Amazon.com: Kingston Technology Hyper X 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP X2 Grey Series KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX: Electronics if not i would like to please know what is the cheapest and best memory upgrade.

Thank you, Waiting eagerly for my M14x nebula red :)

No, you need SO-DIMM 104 pin 1600 Mhz memory sticks. The above are for desktop. I have the same memory as in your link, only for laptop, and it is 'Plug and Play', not XMP. It runs automatic at 9-9-9-27 @ 1600+something. I set bios to AUTO for memory frequency. The sticks fit perfect even with their sinks. I also removed ram cover and left it off.

Finally Windows does not complain about not having page file.

Plug and play:

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/pnp/default.asp

XMP:

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_sodimm.asp

The difference is that Plug and Play sets memory speeds automatically, and with XMP you select profiles in Bios. And this memory supports also 1866 Mhz: see pic

post-1616-14494992004243_thumb.png

post-1616-14494992004492_thumb.png

Edited by c69k

So Plug and play is what i'm looking for correct? I'll go ahead and buy this one then : http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-Notebook-KHX1600C9S3P1K2-8G/dp/B004Y4XAAK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IV5BC2HYYX17H&colid=16NXQHS6P32LN ? I heard somewhere the gray is what i want instead of the blue , I appreciate your help and direction is greatly thanked. I just want the best upgrade with the fewest cash since i already put down 1300 something on the laptop.

Yes, the above amazon link is the memory you want. If I had a choice to buy the memory again, I would still get PNP instead XMP. PNP simply works at advertized speeds, XMP depends too much on Bios support. And, XMP has only two settings in M14X.

XMP 1: 1333Mhz, and XMP 2: 1600Mhz.

I think PNP is more flexible lol

Edited by c69k

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIR XMP memory will work without any problem with M14x. The thing is you will have to tweak it a bit in BIOS, Frenzy. You can also go higher and get 1866Mhz memory. The CPU will 'talk' to RAM at 1600Mhz, but still 1866Mhz offers faster memory transfers. I bet 1600 will be just fine, though.