M17X R3, win10 or win7 till the end ?

Hi guys, i was just wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to win 10 versus staying with win7 until the end regarding your experience with win10 so far and our older alienware.

In a few words.. my M17X R3 is has been clean installed with win10pro, i got an 680m (i have been trothling free for a long time now, yay! stupid 580m) and was doing fine with win7 modded nvidia drivers.i dont notice any problems so far with win10 but I have been fighting a few hours to find why the damn new driver wont install and fail at the graphic driver when i DDU first, disabled DSE and followed instruction as usual..

Now.. if i can't game, my R3 is a big paper weight.. thinking of going back to win7 but one day.. it will be the end.. 2020?

Do you guys plan on fighting big brother and keep your M17X R3 up and running throught win10 or its such a pain in the ass that a new laptop is in order ?

any opinion are welcomed!

Thank you for your time!

I'd say stay with w7 if nothing is wrong, you won't be missing many features, and you probably will get a new laptop by the time windows ends the support on w7. Or if you can afford right now it will be a better investment to just sell your laptop and buy a new one with a skylake platform, they perform really well and are pretty future proof.

By my personal opinion i think it's not worth keeping a laptop / desktop more than 2-3 years especially when new platforms arrive. 

I don't know if I would after reading the article at the beginning of this forum, in the owners lounge, issue with Nvidia and panels.  Go to page 19, top article plus the link they provided.  It is from 2015 Nov, but it would leave me thinking twice until a year with no problems.

• 1 month later...

Something to add, but it affects the future of laptops and desktops.  Microsoft has essentially stated now that it will support Intel GPU's 6xxx at least to 2018 instead of the earlier 2016 cutoff.  However they are still remaining steadfast on the Caby Bay (7xxx series - spelling might be off), will not work in Windows 7 and most mobo makers are saying they aren't going to bother to develop drivers for Win 7 and Intel 7xxx (since it is such an old os, despite the fact that Win 10 still doesn't have nearly 1/2 of the current Win 7 domination of the current OS (including Mac, Linux).

However the Win 10 is not proving to be the Win 7 killer it was going to be.  MS has no choice however to try and clean up the bloated code starting with Win 10.  There is still code there from the Dos Version of Windows (2 I think).  They have stated they are worried because the people who wrote some of that code and forward through the other Win OS versions, are either retiring or have past away, leaving current coders with problems of how to remove the old code where still present and bring it forward.

Another thing I remembered they stated when XP died (EOL) that any patches/fixes/updates put out for any OS above XP (don't think they ever mentioned Win ME) would more than likely expose errors that would probably be present or appear partial in XP code and therefore since they are not doing anything for XP anymore but virus/firewall (defender) updates and hence it would then be probably easy to take the current issue for OS above xp and use that to hack xp.  So I am assuming same thing with Win 7 when it reaches EOL.

I would REALLY SUGGEST AND ENCOURAGE if you have a spare or old hard drive (obviously laptop for laptop and laptop/desktop for desktop) claim your free copy of Windows 10 with your AW license.  Don't worry about using it, just get it claimed so you don't have to pay for it, remember 6 days left and if others wait till the last minute, then the time it will take to download will be as bad as those first days of release, SLOWWWWWWWW!

• 3 weeks later...

I own two Alienware laptops and have installed windows 10 pro on both. The first is the M17x rev 3 and in my experience everything works 100% as it should and the laptop runs quicker, The second is the m17x rev 4 generally it runs great but unlike the rev 3 the osd does not work properly the eject being the main bugbare now as since i put bios rev a13 on it the actual osd program now opens with the proper media button. The second thing not sure wether it is software or hardware but i cannot permanatly keep the touchpad light on if i disable the touchpad and have to kep pressing FN t-pad where as the rev 3 you can disable the touchpad and keep the light on. If anyone does know of the fixes for these please let me know thanks.