Alienware M14x Rumors & Discussion Thread

vikingrinn

From Eric G blog:

GPU options (UPDATED): NVIDIA GT555M 3GB or NVIDIA ??? 1.5GB. These GPUs seem to be part of the motherboard, and cannot be upgraded.

The GT555 3GB is an impressive choice, especially when you consider it's inside a 14" inclosure.

Btw anyone thoughts on "TrueLife" glossy display?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or should they try to get these things thinner. 1 1/2 inches seems big for the size they are going for. The DTR category are the ones we all accept to be over sized. I think they should jam the same hardware into a form factor like Macbook Air and then we would see some real portability. 7 pounds they can do better. Ultra Thin, very low weight but amazing gaming power for such a small form factor, that's the market they should shoot for!

My guess would be it's hard to cool down any graphic beast if you go with thin factor in mind. I wouldn't mind thick, if it can be made lighter. It just seems way too heavy imo. M11x is too heavy too in that respect. I know it's not a good comparison, but if you compare to Thinkpads which lack dedicated GPU you have T420 @ 4.3lbs (vs M14x @ 7 lbs) and X220 @ 3.3-3.8 lbs (vs M11x @ 5lbs).

I do agree - something portable but still relatively powerful and well built.

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn't have said that any better. That's what they need to go for since that's what a 11inch and 14 inch computer should be designed as.

• Founder

The problem is you can't have both. If you want power, you have to add in adequate cooling and the build quality can't suffer at the same time. Since M14x is plastic/rubber like the M17x-R3, they obviously made trade offs with material used. Plus the AW design lends itself to being thicker than other notebooks since they keep the height uniform throughout the chasis. If they did the Asus approach and created a huge ass for it with the rest of it being thin, then most people would be fooled into thinking it's a thin notebook.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is you can't have both. If you want power, you have to add in adequate cooling and the build quality can't suffer at the same time. Since M14x is plastic/rubber like the M17x-R3, they obviously made trade offs with material used. Plus the AW design itself lends itself to being thicker than other notebooks since they keep the height uniform throughout the chasis. If they did the Asus approach and created a huge ass for it with the rest of it being thin, then most people would be fooled into thinking it's a thin notebook.

Brian you forgot Calvin pissing on ASUS!

I seriously hope M14x won't have the "peeling" problem like M17x-R3. I don't get it - its not like there aren't tons of laptops (even Dell) that have decent coating. Even some rubberized plastic will be fine if they put decent support underneath. The shiny surface on M11x is very prone to scratching.

So first systems will ship in May. I am beginning to contemplate which configuration I'll go for if they let me swap my M11x for it + I add some $$$. Might just upgrade the screen. Warranty upgrades are pretty expensive - they turn out to be about the same as I paid for 1year extra for M11x after I already had it.

The m17x would be great, but i need a bit more portability as i'll be travelling overseas in the next year or so. The m11x would have been nice for that, but a bit too small and for an extra $400 the m14x has better specs. Hopefully it won't have any hinge problems like the 11 inch had. It is a bit pricey, but it is built for gaming, which is why i went for the alienware in the first place. Just have to wait and see how this beast performs.