Alienware M14x Rumors & Discussion Thread

vikingrinn

the spirit of the Adamo brand will live on in a spanking-new design due within six months, according to this source. That design will fall under one of Dell's existing consumer brands (e.g., Inspiron, XPS, Alienware). It will be as compelling a design as--or possibly more compelling than--the Adamo was

something new coming for the middle of alienware's lineup? more here.

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

Hey viking, welcome to TI! I'm not sure if AW will pick up a 13.4" design though it's entirely possible. The adamo would make more sense as an XPS though.

Hmm interesting, M14x ???

perhaps?!?!

Hey viking, welcome to TI! I'm not sure if AW will pick up a 13.4" design though it's entirely possible. The adamo would make more sense as an XPS though.

thanks - best wishes to the budding new forum! :D

speculation of a 14" alienware been circulating for a while, only time will tell! ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

Yup, I can say a reliable source that worked with Dell PM'd me at *the place that shall not be named lol* and said M14x was a sure thing. I don't think he'd have a reason to just come out of the blue and b.s. me like that. So I'm hoping we see an M14x on the AW side, a 13.4" for XPS to take on MB Air and perhaps an M18x to fill our dual card aluminum toting desires.

Thanks for the best wishes - be sure to bring along anyone else you see fit..the more the merrier. :)

Yup, I can say a reliable source that worked with Dell PM'd me at *the place that shall not be named lol* and said M14x was a sure thing. I don't think he'd have a reason to just come out of the blue and b.s. me like that. So I'm hoping we see an M14x on the AW side, a 13.4" for XPS to take on MB Air and perhaps an M18x to fill our dual card aluminum toting desires.

Thanks for the best wishes - be sure to bring along anyone else you see fit..the more the merrier. :)

that makes two of us then - something is definitely in the works w/14" then! ;)

as for the forum - sure 'nuff, will do! :D

• Founder
that makes two of us then - something is definitely in the works w/14" then! ;)

as for the forum - sure 'nuff, will do! :D

Any plans to purchase the M14x if it should be released? I'm seriously considering it, especially now that the TI staff is busy with web dev most of the day. Carrying the M17x from room to room isn't fun, esp. with it sitting on top of a pad haha.

Any plans to purchase the M14x if it should be released? I'm seriously considering it, especially now that the TI staff is busy with web dev most of the day. Carrying the M17x from room to room isn't fun, esp. with it sitting on top of a pad haha.

may consider it - but if the M17x R3 actually gets relaunched here soon, it might just be the well balanced (performance/weight/battery life) unit atm... ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

Well the adamo xps fighting against the macbook air would be awesome if had some very very beffer options more powerful and cheaper than that stupid vaio z and have way more better build quality of that over priced POS!! Then i would consider it along with the M14x would be awesome for both of them to have at least a 1600x900P screen or 1080P to compete with the newest Z now going to be renamed SA. I hope the specs of the M14x would be seriously like the Lenovo Y40P the newest one coming out with a seriously crazy high end sandy bridge offering and the lenovo has a gt 555 so if dell offers a slightly better graphics card like a 555 or so would be awesome even a 2 gig version of that would be insanely great priced realistically of course and see Brain you can't be carrying around a m17x all the time for the smallest tasks too lol especially in class lol.

Thank you for inviting me by the way!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Infernia

Just wanted to add a few things I've noticed. Being in a few programming classes and modelling classes at the local college, I've noticed a trend. Of the average 26 students per class, approx. half have a laptop. Of that 12/13 students that have laptops there are 5 M11X's in the class. It's pretty unanimous that the students want the M11X but most can't afford them, yet.

The biggest complaint is the size of the screen. I have the same complaint. It is the only limiting factor of the entire design for small, everyday, note-taking, XNA code writing, or even a little playtime in the UDK.

Those that have them wish for another 2 inches to make it a perfect laptop for these types of classes. I even pull it out and play in Photoshop when I am tired of waiting for the aging lab computers. 8GB of RAM makes a difference at times. :)

So I thought it pertinent to throw that bit of info in there. I know the M11X has much room for improvement in many areas... but I also think that a 13 - 14 inch design would benefit a larger customer base than they(at Dell) think.

Funny thing is with both the M17X R2 and the M11X R2 in my possession.... the M11X gets the most everyday use but the M17X gets the most abuse in terms of stress. I use the M11X to surf and write and take notes and touch up textures or pics. BUT the M17X has to run my newest games for hours with fans pumping out the heat, it gets to do all the rendering and 3D modelling. It has a more stressing but sporadic use pattern.

I would surely pick up an M14X for classes and all my everyday needs and then, gulp, maybe dig deep for an M18X for the serious stuff. Personally I would love the huge screen since the M17X has been toted around maybe 6 times. Would be very little difference in carrying an M18X around and probably would happen just as often.

Love the new site BTW

Still finding my way around.

Have to go hunt up Ash's mod and pics to bookmark. :)

• Founder

I think an M14x makes a lot of sense and I think Dell will replace the M15x with a thin M14x down the line. That's why we haven't heard anything at all about an M15x refresh and someone I know that works closely with Dell told me with confidence that the M14x is coming. I bet Dell is waiting to launch the M14x and M18x together. Welcome to Tech|Inferno, Infernia :)

I think an M14x makes a lot of sense and I think Dell will replace the M15x with a thin M14x down the line. That's why we haven't heard anything at all about an M15x refresh and someone I know that works closely with Dell told me with confidence that the M14x is coming. I bet Dell is waiting to launch the M14x and M18x together.

this.

and despite the article including alienware as a potential home for the product, it seems (taking into account recent dell press releases) that dell will be getting the new 'thin' adamo replacement/update unit... ;)

LOL I don't even know of a 14" rig with a numpad. Do you know of any? I'm very excited for this rig, as long as it comes with good specs and can run at full speed(GPU/CPU) on battery I'll be picking one up to go along side the R3.

• Founder
LOL I don't even know of a 14" rig with a numpad. Do you know of any? I'm very excited for this rig, as long as it comes with good specs and can run at full speed(GPU/CPU) on battery I'll be picking one up to go along side the R3.

LOL

No I don't. It's disappointing nevertheless :)

14" is the best size for any type of laptop. Fits every backpack I can think of :P

I sure hope this comes out. Hopefully with SB cpu and hopefully with a gaming-tier GPU (ATI 68xx or at least a Nvidia 460M). Don't care how much it weighs either.

Oh yeah, shoutout to my boiz: Vikingrinn & Dane!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going back and forth on what I want for a desktop replacement - I do quite a bit of traveling and I feel that m17x might be too large, but would m14x be large enough!! Oh The Insanity!

Dude. I'm 5'4" and made the tough decision of getting a DTR: the R3. To test my craziness (and anxiousness), I cut out a piece of cardboard at work to match the R3's dimensions (2-dimensional only, of course), and it came out to be as big as my torso. And guess what? I don't mind it. So you may want to do the same. If you can't stand the large size of YOUR piece of cardboard, you prolly may want to get a 14inch laptop :)

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest MiahSoul
Interesting beast.

Didn't like the lack of numpad...

Lol! Imagine if they made it an 17xR3 with a 14" screen just so they could fit a numpad yet call it an M14x. :P

Edited by MiahSoul

• Founder
Dude. I'm 5'4" and made the tough decision of getting a DTR: the R3. To test my craziness (and anxiousness), I cut out a piece of cardboard at work to match the R3's dimensions (2-dimensional only, of course), and it came out to be as big as my torso. And guess what? I don't mind it. So you may want to do the same. If you can't stand the large size of YOUR piece of cardboard, you prolly may want to get a 14inch laptop :)

Good luck!

lol that's pretty funny. Welcome to all new members of the forum.