Acer Aspire 5750G PE4L vs PE4C

Hello !

I got a little problem understanding eGPU setups.

My specs :

• Acer Aspire 5750G
  • Intel Core i5-2450M
  • 15.6" HD LED LCD
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 630M
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM

I guess I have Sandy Bridge, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 and I guess it supports PCIe 2.0 on southernbridge and I can use only mPcie Wifi slot for eGPU.

I am from Roumania and I can only find Gtx 750, 750 Ti, 950 and variants of them which require PCIe 3.0.

From hwtools.com i understood :
  • PE4C has Pcie 3 support so might go along with those graphics cards.
  • PE4L has pcie 2 so might not work ?

If this is the case, i guess i need a GTX 600 series or a graphics card that goes with PCIe 2 to be compatible with Sandy Bridge.

Or I can use PCIe 3 grahpics card with PE4C for PCIe 3,but on my laptop will perform as for PCIe 2 ?

That is good news.

Thank you for reply !

For the budget I think I will go for a Gygabite Windforce GTX 750 TI OC2 2GB DDR5 RAM

And for adapter PE4L or PE4C ?

I've seen an implementation that Tech Inferno Fan made around the forum and I indent to go for PE4L as it worked :)

Edit : I cannot seem to find PE4L 2.1b to buy on aliexpress, mfactor ..
I think I will have to go with PE4C 3.0 ... not sure if it will work with my laptop

Edited by Droofdd

Both will work as long as your laptop has a free Expresscard/mPCIe slot.

PE4C 3.0 is (arguably) better since it easily supports a regular ATX PSU and doesn't require a separate board for ATX PSU connection. It is more integrated in that sense.

Edited by Arbystrider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you very much !
I will post feedback as soon as I get them assambled.

• Gygabyte GeForce GTX 750 TI OC2 Windforce 2x 2GB DDR5 128-bit
  • PSU Super Flower SF-550K12XP v2 550W
  • PE4C-PM060A v3.0
  • possible eGPU Setup 1.3x

I hope for the best.

Video card, ATX and egpu setup aquired.

Adaptor should arrive on monday.

What driver should I install ?

Driver for desktop 750 Ti or for notebook 750M ? 

Sorry for double post.

For some reason i do not see edit button from android

L.E : other question : should I power the video card through PE4C adaptor or directly to ATX source ?

Edited by Droofdd

@Arbystrider

Thank you !

Not sure how will it work with driver swapping, but I will give feedback on monday or tuesday.

So 24-pin from atx to adapter and 6 pin from atx to video card. Hope it does not fry or something :))

Edited by Droofdd

Hi again !

So I got all the parts and installed them.

I had to cut some extra support from tge adapter to fit the mPcie slot and also cut some plastic from that area.

The cable is pretty stiff and has some strength so I wanted to avoid bending it.

Some problems occured : 

I have to improvise some extra feet so laptop does not sit on the cable.

Direction of the cable goes right and there is a bit discomfort with th mouse, but manageble.

I set from Bios Integrated, followed Tech Inferno Fan instructions for the eGPU setup and installed nvidia drivers for desktop succesfully, but :

- setting pcie compactation to 36bit gives error 12

- setting to 32 bit worked.

Is there a difference ?

Also first trial I set compactation for "eGPU" and second I believe for "iGPU eGPU" option.

Should I try 36bit for iGPU eGPU" option ?

Did not have time to benchmark or test a game.

How should I try to get optimus or best config ?

For 36bit I think you need to do DSDT Override before compaction but if it worked in 32bit why bother? Optimus should work right out of the box after installing the nvidia drivers. I don't know if you have to disable your dGPU from Setup 1.3 to make that work since you have an nvidia one. I had to disable my dGPU before Optimus worked since I have an AMD dGPU. You might be able to use all 3 of them and use the 630M for physics. 

P.S. I'm also from Romania, where did you order PE4C from? Could you reply here or in a private message with details? I'm asking because I currently have a GDC Beast but it's causing me alot of trouble (gen1 restricted else driver crashes and some random freezes from time to time).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi again ! 

Did not see your post last night.

So, I started egpu setup and did 36 compactation and choose option "igpu egpu" and scope the same option.

It started without problems.

Nvidia control panel had "let 3d app decide".

First benchmark with 3Dmark Firestarter from guru3d site got me 3700 pcts which is good I guess.

I used Geforce experience for World of Tanks and got all settings maxed and ran at 60 fps without problems vsync on.

I am satisfied with the results so far.

@templeka : you are right. If not broken, don't fix it principle :))

I bought from hwtools.net through paypal.

Other variant was to order from their principal distributer mfactor from USA, but meh.. Just a choice.

I paid 65$ for PE4C + 22$ shipping through paypal.

It was delivered by DHL from Taipei,Taiwan and had to pay 70 Ron (15$) custom taxes + 100.8 Ron (25$) for letting DHL pay my custom taxes and receive the package faster.

Other option was to pay custom taxes myself, but I would need a code from Trezorerie which would take 3 days only for this step.

The product itself is really well build with strong soledring and stability.

I was amazed.

Good luck ! 

P.S : best part is that now i do not have problems with laptop heating.

Previously with dGpu i had to use acer fan utility to get the fan at full speed and still got above 80 degrees C temperature and of course video and sound stutter.

Now I dont use the utility and Cpu temp is 50 and Gpu at 36 

P.S 2 : how do i know if i did  optimus 1.2 ? Or that is only for gen1 pcie ?

P.S 3 : After a succesful chainload test, a session of gaming and shutting down....
When I boot, I have to go to setup again and Chainload > Test run or just boot with windows ?

Edited by Droofdd
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Droofdd said:

P.S 2 : how do i know if i did  optimus 1.2 ? Or that is only for gen1 pcie ?

P.S 3 : After a succesful chainload test, a session of gaming and shutting down....
When I boot, I have to go to setup again and Chainload > Test run or just boot with windows ?

Think you mean Pcie bus interface and you can check that with GPU-Z. Open the app and you should see something like the picture below. Press question mark (1) and start render test (2) and during test the bus interface should change to @x1 2.0. If it doesn't you need to set eGPU from Setup 1.3 to Gen2.

Untitled.jpg

I don't really know as well how the thing works with chainloading or startup.bat. I personaly use startup.bat option every windows startup after I saved in the file with F3 every setting I needed.

P.S. So you're saying that you payed 65+22+15+25=127$ just for the PE4C adapter? Wow that's expensive. I mean I only payed about 40$ for my GDC Beast (delivered from China). I'm going to check around at hwtools but if it's at 127$ it's no deal for me. I can live with the driver crashing every once in a while and just Gen1 speed.

@templeka

I have 2.0 which is good.

Sadly yeah.... Taxes over taxes...,

On mfactor the adapter is 55$ and shipment via dhl international is +40$ and with postal but no tracking is +20

Check it out and see estimate shippment tax.

Never tried GDC but I surely like how good the adapter is build woth good soldering, cables etc.

My dad is an electrical engineer and he said it is really well done.

RO : nu e carpeala si nici chirpici. Iti pun niste poze daca vrei

I suppose we are going very off-topic with personal experiences with pricing.

I bought my first EXP GDC Beast for $85 on a local classifieds. Then it blew up. Then I bought another one for $30 but it didn't come with the power cable, so I used the old one.

I won't be surprised if I'm the only person in the world with an eGPU but no means of online payment. I have no bank account, PayPal, MasterCard, Visa, etc. I do have a Bitcoin wallet, but it's empty because screw bitcoin mining and screw going to Bitcoin faucets.

I have no names, man. I am nameless!

Edited by Arbystrider

@Arbystrider : aww man...,

Why not ask a friend who has a credit card or something ? 

Yeah.., I followed nando suggestion from some of the topics + I read comments on GDC products from amazon ebay etc and many people had hardware problems with it.

So yeah.., I choose to go for safest option although a bit more expensive

Not expensive enough for gaming PC :)) 

Just the adaptor.

P.S : GPU-Z reports 1.1 ...

My laptop says it has PCIe 2.0

hmmm ...I think I have to DSDT override or Win7 trick so I can make 64bit compactation.

Any other suggestions ?

Edited by Droofdd

But above you said it's 2.0. Did you do the test and it's still only showing 1.1? You just have to set the pcie from setup 1.3, there's the option to set Gen1 and Gen2 in there.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

hi Droofdd,

i have the same laptop almost, I ACER 5750g I3 instead of i5 but no dGPU and my RAM is 2GB, however probem is mentioned :

Win 8.1 pro installed.(formatted and clean installed after trying in W7 64bit since I got Code 12 error).

EXP GDC V6

AMD R9 290 installed and i get no code 12(I got this in w7) in W8.1 Pro

I have another GTX 460 which gets stuck(BSOD) (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION  )while w8.1 login after installing drivers I get  nvlddmkm .sys error 

but this card(R9 290) is not being used in any games nor does the AMD crimson settings is detecting the card. The drivers and everything installed properly, windows 8.1 boots and logins in properly but amd setting is not detecting anything. Also no ecode 12 error in W8.1 pro64bit it was only in W764bit

Please help !

Edited by vikasnx89

37 minutes ago, vikasnx89 said:

but this card(R9 290) is not being used in any games nor does the AMD crimson settings is detecting the card

Use an external monitor. AMD cards will not work on internal monitor.

37 minutes ago, vikasnx89 said:

GTX 460 which gets stuck(BSOD) (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION  )while w8.1 login after installing drivers I get  nvlddmkm .sys error 

I recently started having this issue on my GTX 580 as well. This seems to fix it.

Most of the time.