HP Pavilion G6-2220SQ, EXP GDC Beast V8.0 mini-pcie, Palit Jetstream GTX 760 2GB

templeka

My setup is this one:

HP Pavilion G6-2220SQ

CPU: i7-3632QM

Chipset: Intel Panther Point HM76

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

igpu: Intel HD Graphics 4000

dgpu: AMD HD 7670M 1GB

egpu: nvidia GTX 760 2GB

External monitor

EXP GDC Beast V8.0 mini-pcie

Dell DA2 216W power brick

I had no trouble when I first tested my GTX 760 with a 500W no name power supply. Now I bought a Dell DA2 power brick (D220P-01) 12V, 18A (216W) and hocked that up to the 8 pin connector of the Beast. I also bought a 6 pin pcie to 2x6 pin pcie cable and hocked that from the Beasts 6 pin connector to the GTX 760's 2x6 pin. Problem is when the graphic card ramps up the frequencies and usage my external monitor (it's connected to one of the GTX's DVI port with a DVI adapter and the other end to the monitor's VGA port) starts to flicker across the whole screen. Flickering is horizontal and sort of looks like those old tube monitors when the refresh rate was low.  This is mostly noticeable when the GPU ramps at max frequency. If I play any other game that's not demanding and the card only ramps to lower 3D frequency the flickering is almost gone. 

The two changes I made from the first case when it worked was the power supply and the cable. I used a DVI cable before and the 500W power supply. So my question is it the cable or the Dell DA2 power brick not supplying enough power or something? I'm asking because games don't freeze, don't lock anything so it seems there's enough power. I can play for hours it's just that annoying flicker that hurts my eyes.

P.S. I'll try to attach some pictures with the setup and everything if that helps in any way.

Edit: Ok I might have something. The 1x6pin female to 2x6 pin male pcie cable is connected to the Beast with a 1x6pin male to 1x6 pin male pcie connector that I made from 2 other cables that each had 1x6 pin male to 2xmolex. I just noticed that those 2 only had 5 cables running from one connector to the other (2 yellow and 3 black). It's missing the middle yellow cable. Is that normal or should it have all 6 cables (3 yellow and 3 black) like the picture attached?

pciexpress-pinout.GIF

Edit2: Scratch the above edit out. That's not causing the issue. So that leaves either the VGA cable or the power brick. I tend to believe it's the cable so I'll test again once I get a DVI cable.

Edited by templeka

I bought a DVI-D cable and that fixed everything. Don't know why that VGA cable was causing interference or whatever that flickering was. The issue is solved now.

Ok so I've been running this setup very well for the past days. Only once did the nvidia driver crash and I had to restart and that happened when the laptop was idle, I wasn't even near it. 

Now I've tried to run the egpu using the internal monitor with no success sadly. I tried using the desktop and the laptop nvidia drivers, I tried the delay switch on the GDC Beast, I tried hooking the egpu after BIOS and before windows loads up (windows doesn't even detect the egpu if i do it this way) but no luck. I can't disable my AMD dgpu from BIOS so it's only disabled in device manager (where it's detected as standard VGA adapter). Could this last part be a problem? Do I need to edit the nvidia drivers in some way? Do I need to buy DYI e-GPU Setup to set something up in that? 

Hope someone can help me with this one, if it's even possible to do on my current setup.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by templeka

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say but what's displayed there in device manager seems right to me. I mean there's the intel igpu (HD 4000) , the egpu (GTX 760) and lastly the dgpu (AMD HD7670M) that has the drivers uninstalled and it's disabled from device manager. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

17 hours ago, templeka said:

Now I've tried to run the egpu using the internal monitor with no success sadly. I tried using the desktop and the laptop nvidia drivers, 

Only use the laptop drivers. Uninstall the desktop ones and do a clean install of the laptop drivers.

Unplug any display cables from the back of the card.

Refer to Chapter 4 of http://yun.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1234659882&uk=2657154987.

Hi,

I have HP DV7 and after connecting the GPU adapter only new row which comes up is the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and that also with Error Code 10. Please check the below pic. Do you know how to fix this one?

The card on my GPU is a GTX 960 4GB.

image2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the setup in the first post worked like a charm for about a week. After that problems have started when I was getting nvidia driver crash and error 43 shortly after restart. Uninstalling the driver and cleaning with DDU usually fixed this after a couple of tries and restarts. But now it's just stuck on error 43 and whatever I tried didn't fix it.

I also got setup 1.3 but I'm a bit confused on what to do here. I managed to totally disable my AMD dgpu so now it doesn't even show up in device manager. After this I have no clue what I should do. Would love some assistance if possible else I'm afraid it will take a while with trial and error until it works.

Edited by templeka

6 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

It turns out I accidentally moved one of the switches on the EXP GDC.

Well my GDC only has one switch that seems to have 3 stages but it's been sitting to the far left since I first used it (that's supposed to be 0 delay or something).

But for the love of God I tried almost every option in Setup 1.3 and it seems nothing works. Either I get into windows and the egpu has error 43 or sometimes I get a bluescreen before windows even loads up. Just tell me what info I have to provide to better help my problem solving and I'll provide it. I'm outright baffled that it worked for a week and without touching the setup or installing anything it started this error 43 nightmare.

Edit: Ok so I did the DSDT override and allocate the eGPU into 36-bit, Endpoint=56.25GB, iGPU forced to 32-bit, disabled my dGPU, set Gen2 on my eGPU port but I'm still getting error 43. From the pictures below I don't know if I did the DSDT override correct. Anyone can help a bit?

Edit2: Ok I actually managed to make the card show the resources tab by puting the laptop into sleep and waking it up. It's getting some conflicts here and the error code changed to 12 ... sigh.

Memory Range 00000000CC000000 - 00000000CCFFFFFF not available.
Memory Range 00000000C0000000 - 00000000C7FFFFFF not available.
Memory Range 00000000C8000000 - 00000000C9FFFFFF not available.
Input/Output Range 4000 - 407F not available.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Edited by templeka

This is getting weird. Now all of a sudden after 8 hours, computer was shut down during this time, I entered windows normally, without setup 1.3 and the video card works again. What is going on here? I mean for a whole day yesterday I couldn't get it to work for just one bootup and now it works again? Anyone any ideas?

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Edit: Ok update time. It's kind of working for the moment, don't know why now but I'm happy if it stays this way. Difference from above is that I didn't force 32bit compaction on the iGPU (no clue if this makes any difference or not), I had to dial down to Gen1 for the eGPU (was getting constant crashes from nvidia driver otherwise) and I also disabled from setup 1.3 my onboard LAN card (again no clue if this makes any difference but I'm not using it anyway).

These is the memory range the egpu uses now:

Untitled4.jpg

Only issue remaining is this conflict below (doesn't seem to affect system stability or something for now):

Untitled3.jpg

P.S. Still waiting for suggestions or any insight for my setup.

Edited by templeka

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this is a late reply but here goes. My laptop BIOS didn't have a graphic option either. I disabled the AMD dgpu from Setup 1.3.

I changed the GDC Beast v8.0 with a PE4C v3.0 because with the GDC the drivers from nvidia were randomly crashing while gaming because it wasn't stable at PCI-E x1 v2.0. With PE4C v3.0 everything is working fine without any issues and I didn't even need DSDT override. Also I upgraded to a GTX 1070 and even though it's not working at full potential the upgrade is very noticeable.

Edited by templeka

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.