Looking for a cheap Gaming Laptop?

TrojanTheGod

Question

If you guys are looking for affordable and powerful gaming laptops, that combine portability, power and cost. Then the Lenovo Ideapad Y series will probably appeal to you. They are fitted with a minimum of GTX 960m 4GB Graphics Cards, which overclock quite well (Unless you get REALLY unlucky like my friend, who's GPU crashes WITHOUT overclocking because it hits 98c :P) and a minimum of a Haswell processor (4720HQ clocked at 2.6Ghz and Turbo's to 3.6Ghz). They are lightweight, have a pretty good array of I/O, although if you're looking at 144Hz gaming off the laptop, you'd have to narrow down your Ideapad search to the y900, as the two former laptops do not come with any Video Output ports other than a single HDMI 1.4a, which doesn't support the bandwidth for 144Hz @ 1920x1080 res (Although it supports enough to get you 73Hz @ 1920x1080 and 129Hz @ 1024x768). They are really quick and the cooling, atleast on mine, is pretty spectacular for the form factor, at a pretty impressive (although I will push it much higher very shortly) overclock of +135 Core and +650 Memory on the GPU, the temps still stay within the 60's all the time, I haven't reached or gone above 70c ever, even in my longest gaming sessions (which I usually reach 68c in).

Another good thing about these laptops is the fact that ALL of them come with built in JBL audio, it has a full bass on the bottom and 2 speakers to the sides of it. The sound quality is pretty astonishing for a laptop and definitely has a pretty loud max volume. The colour scheme is also appealing and pretty well thought out.

Hope this tiny review and recommendation helps those of you who needed ideas for a new laptop.

10 answers to this question

On 5/9/2016 at 1:33 PM, TrojanTheGod said:

If you guys are looking for affordable and powerful gaming laptops, that combine portability, power and cost. Then the Lenovo Ideapad Y series will probably appeal to you. They are fitted with a minimum of GTX 960m 4GB Graphics Cards, which overclock quite well (Unless you get REALLY unlucky like my friend, who's GPU crashes WITHOUT overclocking because it hits 98c :P) and a minimum of a Haswell processor (4720HQ clocked at 2.6Ghz and Turbo's to 3.6Ghz). They are lightweight, have a pretty good array of I/O, although if you're looking at 144Hz gaming off the laptop, you'd have to narrow down your Ideapad search to the y900, as the two former laptops do not come with any Video Output ports other than a single HDMI 1.4a, which doesn't support the bandwidth for 144Hz @ 1920x1080 res (Although it supports enough to get you 73Hz @ 1920x1080 and 129Hz @ 1024x768). They are really quick and the cooling, atleast on mine, is pretty spectacular for the form factor, at a pretty impressive (although I will push it much higher very shortly) overclock of +135 Core and +650 Memory on the GPU, the temps still stay within the 60's all the time, I haven't reached or gone above 70c ever, even in my longest gaming sessions (which I usually reach 68c in).

Another good thing about these laptops is the fact that ALL of them come with built in JBL audio, it has a full bass on the bottom and 2 speakers to the sides of it. The sound quality is pretty astonishing for a laptop and definitely has a pretty loud max volume. The colour scheme is also appealing and pretty well thought out.

Hope this tiny review and recommendation helps those of you who needed ideas for a new laptop.

Yes, I would say that one of the best and affordable laptops for gaming is a Lenovo brand.  The latter is  a Lenovo Ideapad Y series which  is powerful not only in gaming but for multimedia tasks . It was built with the latest 3D graphics really great for multimedia students and gamers.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:37 AM, Revelant said:

Xoticpc.com seems to be a decent gaming laptop site. You can even speak to someone to give you an informed opinion to find out on what you want.

Hi, that seems new to me. Anyway, thanks for letting us know. Perhaps, I can relay it to my nephew. He is trying to look for a good and affordable laptop. I'll let him check the site  (Xoticpc.com) later. 

Edited by Cailley06

I dislike these days laptops because they went the no repair route.

Look at the newest macbook. Everything is soldered on the logic board, even the ssd. Everything.

A year ago i bought a second hand ASUS g75VW laptop. I replaced the thermal paste. Sold the 2x4GB RAM modules and purchased 2x8GB RAM modules. I still have 2 ram banks free for up to 32gb of RAMS. The processor / gpu / RAM / battery / wlan / hdds / optical drive is still exchangeable.

It depends on which games you want to play.

It may be worth looking in the second hand market when you are not going for the newest games.

I refuse to buy a laptop where everything is soldered on the mainboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is the best Laptop atm (price/performance)

https://www.amazon.de/X7847-Notebook-Display-i7-6700HQ-GeForce/dp/B01L312A8O/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7WYG3E1Q6GVHB30KDG1X

What do you guys think? 

(Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060 VRAM 6GB GDDR5

Price 1499€ :O, all other Laptops for 1499€ have worse graphiccards.

On 17/11/2016 at 9:01 PM, N4RUS394W4 said:

I dislike these days laptops because they went the no repair route.

Look at the newest macbook. Everything is soldered on the logic board, even the ssd. Everything.

The higher end Clevos still have replaceable cpus as they use the desktop ones. But are rather expensive.
Well, What do you think about them?

I have not looked into these days clevo notebooks.

Mostly when you buy hardware you look for

Easy access to the logic board and components. MSI does for example a worse job on one of the recent notebooks with 950 nvidia gpu.

Parts should be available for a few years

And everything should be replaceable, not soldered.

Decent cooling. Decent heatpipes. MSI for example has several notebooks with few heatpipes and other models with the same case with more headpipes.

Are there any official or inofficial repair manuals? service manuals. There were a lot for hp / dell in the past in the net. I found for my older sold ASUS notebook one too.

--

I'm fine now with my ivybridge notebook. That should fit the bill for casual gaming in linux with work. If i have to replace it I may go for something used and cheap again and buy a desctop, as these days everything is soldered. Means one components fails on the mainboard and the hole notebook is considered garbage. It makes a difference if the mainboard costs around 80-130 us dollars in china for my asus g75vw, or much more because cpu / ram and other components are soldered to the mainboard. 

I have been frustrated with trying to upgrade my Lenovo laptop - their use of a whitelist to limit hardware is frustrating now that I'm trying to update my WiFi card to dual band on my old Y480 laptop.

Yes, you can try to get a modded BIOS to remove the problem; but that comes with risk also