Lenovo Edge 15 + EVGA GTX 950 + Win 8.1 + Ext Monitor + 600w ATX PSU (Help)

Everything works, here are some suggestions if you got my same build

- I didn't need DIY Setup 1.3, but I got it anyway

- I use the paperclip trick

-Everything is plug and play with an external monitor

-It seems the Lenovo Edge is whitelisted (go figure) NGFF adapter

Questions:

1) Is it normal for when the GPU is not on high load, that the fans turn off? I notice when I play games the fans turn on and the GPU temp stays normal, but when i'm just browsing the Internet, the fans turn off. 

2) I left a game (MMO, Archeage) running for two days straight and everything was working fine. When I went out of afk and ran around after the second day, the 400w ATX PSU cut off. It wouldn't work until I gave it time to cool down, but when I turned it back on, the fans were violently going off. I immediately turned it off because I thought maybe it was getting too much power? I switched to another more expensive PSU (The 600w one) and everything went back to normal. If I am doing the paperclip trick, should I be turning it off periodically to give it time to relax? Is the paperclip trick a long time solution or is it imperative that I do something else?