Nvidia GTX 1080m Speculation

So the desktop 1080 was announced. Specs are:

2560 cuda cores

8GB GDDR5X (these memory names are getting stupidly long and the memory isn't even DDR)

1733 boost clock, 1607 base clock

10GHz memory

180W TDP

What and when do you think will show up for the 1080m?

I'm thinking we'll likely get 1920 cuda cores. The memory is the big question. Will laptops get GDDR5, or GDDR5X? Usually laptop cards closely mirror the x70 series of a GPU lineup, which for the 1070 is GDDR5 still. The current generation was a bit of an exception though as the 980m had 256-bit memory, while the 970 was 224-bit. If its GDDR5X I'd very strongly consider getting one, but it not I'll definitely wait and just try to get more out of my 980m.

As for when the card shows up, for 28nm the 680m was announced 4/6/2012, while the 680 was announced 3/22/2012. I don't know when the 680m was actually available though relative to that announcement. The 1080 is supposed to be available May 27th. Anyone more familiar with previous card releases have any guesses on when the 1080m will be available?

Edited by Khenglish

• Founder

I think we might see GDDR5 in the mobile version with a 256 bit bus for the top end given how low the power envelope is for the desktop card. In fact I can see them just slightly cutting away a few cores and shipping a card that is between the 1070/1080 in speed. However, if the price is low enough for GDDR5x, then NVIDIA might use it to milk more money out of consumers, especially if these new cards are heavily marketed towards VR (which they will be). 

June 10th is the release date for the desktop cards (where did you see May 27th?) so I'm guessing maybe September for the mobile versions or earlier if NVIDIA is being aggressive against AMD's upcoming Polaris which is targeting mobile and midrange. 

May 27th is the 1080 release date. June 10th is the 1070 release date.

Top end mobile cards cost $700 so Nvidia definitely could sell it as the same specs as the 1080 but with reduced clocks and voltages. The problem is they won't to milk the market. In roughly a year they'll release a GP100 variant for desktops and finally give mobile users the card they could have had a year before. This is exactly what they did with kepler cards. Maybe if AMD mobile cards are good Nvidia will have pressure to release something better earlier, but right now Nvidia is beating AMD to the finfet GPU launch so we're getting a cut down card. The only question is how cut down.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
53 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

May 27th is the 1080 release date. June 10th is the 1070 release date.

Top end mobile cards cost $700 so Nvidia definitely could sell it as the same specs as the 1080 but with reduced clocks and voltages. The problem is they won't to milk the market. In roughly a year they'll release a GP100 variant for desktops and finally give mobile users the card they could have had a year before. This is exactly what they did with kepler cards. Maybe if AMD mobile cards are good Nvidia will have pressure to release something better earlier, but right now Nvidia is beating AMD to the finfet GPU launch so we're getting a cut down card. The only question is how cut down.

Ah ok, for some reason I thought both were on June 10th, I only caught the tail end of the presentation today. Nobody expected a $380 1070 that is supposed to be faster than Titan X so anything is possible with mobile. NVIDIA is probably acutely aware AMD is focusing on mobile first + middle end so they may make an exception and toss in a groundbreaking card that is almost as fast as 1070 but 2x the price for those that are willing to pay (and many on this forum and NBR would pay). We just need to see what AMD introduces soon and hopefully it's not trash.

If 1080M is not at least as fast as 980 Ti it's a fail in my eyes. But 1920 CUDA cores probably means between 980 and 980 Ti performance, closer to 980 Ti I'd hope. 1080 is only 25% faster than 980 Ti and that's by virtue of its high clocks due to 16nm FinFET. Contrary to Jen-Hsun's bullshit-as-usual 2x efficiency claim, 1080 is only 1.5x the perf/watt of 980.

Edited by octiceps

I'm taking some history lessons and doing some math for an hour now :D Here is what I found :

Back in 2010, with Fermi Architecture, 480M performance was about 40% of desktop 480.

In 2012, with Kepler architecture, 680M performance was about 60% of desktop 680.

In 2014, with Maxwell architecture, 980M performance was about 80% of desktop 980.

GTX 1080 shows more than 70% fps boost over GTX 980.

If 1080M performance is about 80% of desktop 1080, then it means 1080M is 30% more powerful than desktop 980!

With same calculations 1070M is as powerful as desktop 980.

I'm looking forward to this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well apparently acording to notebookcheck Asus and RoG have released benchmarks for a laptop ththat out paced the titan. They didnt say it was a 1080m but they did say we can have an educated guess.

They are set to announce the laptop at the 2016 computex event in 2 weeks. If they do announce the 1080m maybe nvidia is planing a release if not maybe itll push them to do so.

Im holding out for an MSI titan with 1080m Sli.

On Monday, May 09, 2016 at 6:12 PM, madmaxgamer said:

Im thinking of getting those laptops with desktop GPUs in them. Especially if they every are insane enough to make a sli version, which would be truly... insane.

The MSI titan has desktop 980s in Sli i think. Have a look into it

I don't know, it might be it might not be. I would speculate close to 980 MXM desktop ASIC being used for 1080 MXM though.

There would be NO performance loss, and all they would need to do really is replace a few things, and the components that differ. 

If they go with 1080M though then I suspect it to be a K5100-like Silicon / ASIC with 1080M GPU for similarity purposes. I say this because they showed/demo'd some darker/blacker cards in a dual configuration for some vehicle demo powered by nvidia cards, and the rumour was it was 1080M cards based on the model numbers. I didn't look into it mind you. So who really knows. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.6.2016 at 3:10 PM, viktoris said:

Honestly I can NOT wait till AMD joins the fray with theire mobile GPU's. The R series were a dissapointment.

But this sounds amazing nontheless.

After the release of the RX 480 I am not so sure if AMD will mix up the high end mobile market - to say the least.

About the 1080m: If the recently leaked benchmarks of the 1080m are true I am not alltogheter happy: ~14000 Pionts seem nice, but stay well unter the  15000 of the Desktop 1070.

O.k. there will be some overclcoking but I hoped the card would end up between the sotcl 1070 and 1080.

Yet: Perhaps there will be a "1080m" and "non M" version...

On 7.5.2016 at 6:09 AM, Khenglish said:

...any guesses on when the 1080m will be available?

Usually those cards are paperlaunched during summer. Are Listed in september and get shiped in october (early november here in Europe).

At least that`s what I experienced when buying my 980m and 680m.

Best regards

phila

@phila_delphia

Yeah the RX 480 performance and efficiency are certainly disappointing, and the history of AMD not competing with Nvidia in the mobile space since the 7970m vs 680m will continue.

Due to this Nvidia GPUs will continue to be stupidly expensive.

At this point the 1080m seems to be too costly with too little benefit to upgrade to from a 980m.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to follow up with this thread  as you are definitely "proven wrong" :D it's pretty much confirmed that the 1060, 1070 and 1080 will all have their normal shader counts with slightly reduced clocks and considerably reduced TDP. Yet the 1070 shows an improvement of 171% over the 980M in terms of Firestrike score.

9 hours ago, Prema said:

'Mobile 1070' and 'Desktop 1070' don't share neither the same shader count nor the same clocks... 

Yep. At least the link I posted suggests that the mobile 1070 will have more shaders but lower clock than 1070 Desktop.

Yet it seems the two cards might nearly deliver equal performance.

Best regards

phila