wissper

[solved] Y580 modified bios setting change resulted in black screen of death

PROBLEM: Black screen of death on a Lenovo y580 (or probably most of the ideapad Y series since they all use similar bios software) after changing the setting for which video source gets priority (default is "SG").

SOLUTION: Rather than using the vast array of options that rarely work for anyone like heating up your video card by blocking the fan on a pillow for 20 minutes at a time until it "decides" to start working again - after much research I found the solution for setting the modified slv7 lenovo y580 bios back to its defaults in the event that you inadvertently disable your video.

First, press power and immediately hold F2 until your laptop starts beeping, then release. If there is no sound hold it about 45 seconds.

Second, press the following button sequence for 100 extra lives:

left arrow (1x)

down arrow (4x)

enter (4x)

At that point the system should automatically shut down and restart.  If it does not, the settings may not have been changed correctly but go ahead and manually restart to find out.  If you come back to a black screen again try the process over until you're certain that the cause is something other than your bios settings.

This will save you hours upon hours researching CMOS bypass surgeries, blind usb jump drive bios flash procedures, and all those tedious and time consuming processes.  I even started questioning whether my keyboard on my laptop worked at one point it got so screwy.  

I will add this, if you can use an external monitor and get a signal, do that.  Use Fn+F4 to switch to an external signal and that will make your life much easier.  Barring that, the above is the easiest solution I was able to track down.

Best..

wissper

[original issue]

This has come up fairly often, and I've read every post I can find trying to fix it but with no positive results so far.

I've got a lenovo y580, running a modified svl7 bios.  I accidentally changed the video setting that was set to "SG" to some other setting, unsure what.  Now I can't get a response from the laptop other than from the power button which simply lights up, but no other indications of life show any more.  Early on there was a point at which I pressed some button combo and heard loud beeps, but that has not recurred.  I've tried the typical blind default reset method (left, 4x down, 4x enter) which didn't help. I cannot access the computer remotely when it's been powered on which makes me believe that it is not moving past the bios to windows. (no ping response or net view access) I have been unsuccessful in getting an external display to work on the HDMI or VGA ports (though I am going to try VGA again to be sure). 

Most of the advice I've found says to unplug everything from the system (wifi adapter, HDD, SSD, Optical,etc.), insert a usb stick with various ROM/BIN files conforming to a particular name variant depending on your model, and to hold Fn+B continuously just after inserting power cord w/o battery installed and hit the power button.  The 1 time I've tried this, I had copies of the bios w/ extentions .bi .bin .rom .fd with prefixes QIWY3207 or just QIWY3 (which was the suggestion from Andy's phoenix tool that was part of the instructions). 

If anyone sees a mistake I've made along the way, another method to try, or just knows the key pattern to reset the modified svl7 y580 bios to default I would really appreciate the help.  I'm looking forward to buying another laptop about as much as choking down a bag of cement. 

Thanks!

Wissper

Edited by wissper
  • Thumbs Up 1

This method didn't work on my lenovo y580. I removed cmos battery to reset bios settings and this too didn't help. I give my laptop to service the must reprogram bios. So guys don't change any settings of graphic in moded bios. 

I know this post is a bit old, but I just HAD to say a huge THANK YOU. I had the exact same problem (messed with primary display...) and the solution worked. Better than the Konami code for sure!

Hello everybody. I have the same problem. y500 can I use the same sequence?

Sure it won't help if you fried your laptop with a bad settings, but for me when I just messed with the primary display settings.. it saved my life!

(Even my external monitor did not give any sign of life, because of this, I even tried on VGA and HDMI port too :/)

HUGE THANKS YOU!!

(now I go and clean my underwear :D)

I was do this mistake too
I changed workmode video off "SG" to "auto", and after laptop start and work, display was be black.
I thought the laptop really work but work mode not compatible becose i don`t see what is happenig on screen, and i try to click on the start F2 to enter the bios after click F9 and "enter" to set default setting, after click F10 and "Enter" to save curent setting and restart. After this action laptop starting and work in normal =)
Then instruction.
1)Press ON/Power on-off
2) Press "F2" some times, as if you want to start bios in normal work your laptop.
3) Press "F9" and "Enter"
4) Press "F10" and "Enter"
The laptop will be restart and work normal.