Help: akitio, and power

To start. I like to mention I previously was running an EVGA GTX 760, powered by 2x 6pin pcie on the card from a 750w psu, while the akitio itself had the stock 60w barrel plug to power board: I do not use any riser cables- just the board alone. It worked fine, I played battlefield 4 quite often with only occasional driver issues.

So I went and picked up a new EVGA GTX 970 ssc ( the 3975-KR model). It has 8pin + 6pin connections, enough power there that I don't need a powered riser cable still, I'm trying to fit all this inside of a cooler master elite 130 mini ITX case now so it will hide all the wires and whatnot (before I just left the mess exposed and played my games).

I want to attach the card directly to the board inside the case with no risers because I don't want whatever degradation people have discussed here that these cause.

In doing this, the barrel plug and thunderbolt ports on the akitio board will be blocked by the rear of the elite 130 case.

My question(s)

1: Should I power it with the akitio psu while the 750w psu only supplies power to the card?

2: if I use a riser cable to separate the akitio boards(pic attached) so I can move the ports to an accessible angle, will it degrade the signal?

09e1e259a02388b73e14f2063ba332d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. No, never! All power should come from one single source. USing the 60W PSU works, but will cause instability and can damage your hardware.

2. That depends on the riser. Most people do not have any problems, even with cheap riser.

I strongly recommend to power the AKiTiO directly from the big PSU with an 2xMolex -> barrel adapter or an 8-pin EPS ATX -> barrel adapter.

Please keep in mind that you will need an angled riser if you use the Elite 130!

Edited by Dschijn

1. No, never! All power should come from one single source. USing the 60W PSU works, but will cause instability and can damage your hardware.

2. That depends on the riser. Most people do not have any problems, even with cheap riser.

I strongly recommend to power the AKiTiO directly from the big PSU with an 2xMolex -> barrel adapter or an 8-pin EPS ATX -> barrel adapter.

Please keep in mind that you will need an angled riser if you use the Elite 130!

Thank you!

I will get the molex to barrel adapter. I just wasn't sure about doing that since some people were concerned about the amount of watts coming into the barrel on the board that way. I have a powered x16 riser as well as a non-powered x16 riser, so I guess I'll attach the card with the non-powered riser and leave the board in tact on the other side of the case where the ports will be accessible.

Or....

Should I use the powered riser and not plug anything into the barrel?

59 minutes ago, mrburns05 said:

I will get the molex to barrel adapter. I just wasn't sure about doing that since some people were concerned about the amount of watts coming into the barrel on the board that way

What? ^^

Try both riser... one of them should work.

And like I said before: You will need a riser with a 90° angle!

Here you can see the parts that I used: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6198-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx97016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win81osx1010-dschijn/

I will get the molex to barrel adapter. I just wasn't sure about doing that since some people were concerned about the amount of watts coming into the barrel on the board that way

What? ^^

Try both riser... one of them should work.

And like I said before: You will need a riser with a 90° angle!

Here you can see the parts that I used: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6198-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx97016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win81osx1010-dschijn/

I read through your posts here... What I meant was exactly this here :

No! In this forum we came to the conclusion that the AKiTiOs limit is 25W. So by using 80W, it is running beyond the specifications -> not good!

I thought, that a 6+8-Pin power connector on the GPU might provide enough power so that the GPU doesn't need more than the 25W, but I was wrong.

Bottomline is that I would advice everybody who wants to work with a AKiTiO to get a molex powered PCIe riser card to overcome the 25W. Additional benefit is, that the AKiTiO doesn't need it's own PSU and can be directly powered by the riser.

So I can plug in the card with the 8+6 connectors, attached with a powered riser (90° connector as you mentioned) and in turn - I should not need to attach anything to the barrel plug on the akitio board. That's what I was trying to confirm with my last question lol

That statement is 1,5 years old. ;)
Now we know it works!

And yes. You only need the barrel plug mod OR the powered riser. One of that and the 6/8-Pin for GPU itself.

Edited by Dschijn

That statement is 1,5 years old. [emoji6]

Now we know it works!

Lol. I thank you for your help. It's much appreciated. I have a few days to finish this before I get my mbp back from Apple (repair), so I'm just kinda trying to keep my mind off not having my computer. I've had this elite130 sitting in the garage for 8 months now for exactly this purpose, just never got around to it