p170em cooling advice for hot 980m

MUNKYPOO

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to make my gpu run cooler on a Clevo p170em?  I'm currently running high 80's and low 90's on high graphical games like the division.  I do use fn +9 to turn fans full blast which brings the temps down to mid 80's.  I would like the overall temps to come down without the full fans on mode. thanks

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to make my gpu run cooler on a Clevo p170em?  I'm currently running high 80's and low 90's on high graphical games like the division.  I do use fn +9 to turn fans full blast which brings the temps down to mid 80's.  I would like the overall temps to come down without the full fans on mode. thanks

How old is the laptop? Have you checked it inside for excessive dust buildup? Ambient air temps?

If it's a few years old, the thermal paste between the heatsinks and cpu/gpu could have dried up. A simple repaste can help.

That's a starting point for now. Let us know what you find.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, MUNKYPOO said:

Are you running any vbios mods or overclock?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, Chronokiller said:

How old is the laptop? Have you checked it inside for excessive dust buildup? Ambient air temps?

If it's a few years old, the thermal paste between the heatsinks and cpu/gpu could have dried up. A simple repaste can help.

That's a starting point for now. Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that I recently replaced my gpu from a 680m to a 980m and my cpu to a 3940xm.  During the process I found a lot of hair, lint, and dust built up inside the heatsink vents.  I have cleaned both vents and used new thermal paste.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, Khenglish said:

Are you running any vbios mods or overclock?

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently running prema bios for the 980m with no overclock

13 hours ago, Khenglish said:

@MUNKYPOO

Are you reusing the 680m heatsink or using a 980m heatsink? The 680m heatsink is usable but the 980m heatsink performs around 8c better under load.

I'm reusing the heatsink that I had on my 680m.  The 980m I ordered from eurocom didn't come with one.  Do you know where I can order one and which one will fit my p170em? thanks for your help

Probably ebay is your best bet. Get a p150sm, p157sm, 170sm, or p177sm nvidia heatsink. The heatsink can be for the 780m, 880m, or 980m.

If you get one for a card other than the 980m, you'll need to reuse a thermal pad from the 680m's heatsink to cover the 3rd core inductor on the 980m.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Probably ebay is your best bet. Get a p150sm, p157sm, 170sm, or p177sm nvidia heatsink. The heatsink can be for the 780m, 880m, or 980m.

If you get one for a card other than the 980m, you'll need to reuse a thermal pad from the 680m's heatsink to cover the 3rd core inductor on the 980m.

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll be getting a new heatsink

Yeah, it appears that even a minimal amount of dirt and debris in the heatsink and fan cause a LOT of change in the cooling profile.  I opened up the NP9170 recently as the fans were switching on and off a lot.  Looked inside - not much.  Just a thin coating of dust on the fan fins and the heatsinks barely had some dust on them.  Cleaned them off and the sound was a completely different laptop - quiet unless under full load.  Was shocked.

• Thumbs Up 1