M18XR2 7 Beeps

82280zx

My laptop was working great up untill I seen a new bios released, I was gonna give the new A11 unlocked bios a test so I went into my Bios (was using A12 official) and turned off UEFI then I saved and restarted. Thats when the 7 beeps of death started. I have tried removing my 980m and booting without it, with no luck. I have also tried to do the blind flash to go back to A03 but my esata drive isn't reading the thumb drive (this has worked in the past). Why would a simple change in my bios brick my system? I've tried resetting the bios to, I've pulled the battery, power, and the cmos battery, held the power button for 30+ seconds then reconnected them and still get the same results =/. Did my board just commit suicide?

• 2 months later...

This is from Dell

It is unfortunate that the computer just gives black screen with 7 beeps. Request you to try following the below steps and see if it helps:

(1) Turn off the computer.

(2) Remove all the external peripherals like AC Adaptor, battery, flash drive, etc.

(3) Press and hold power button, it releases the static on the computer (if any).

(4) Put back the battery and plug in the charger.

(5) Let the computer charge for some time.

(6) Try turning on the computer if the computer still beeps 7 times then the processor is failed and needs to be replaced.

BUT

another user had the exact same issue and it turned out to be a loose ribbon cable! 

Here is some "helpful" troubleshooting tips from Dell as well

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/496582/EN

I hope It's not your CPU, I would open it back up and reseat your CPU and double check all ribbon cables, It is VERY easy to plug them in half way. 

NOTE: Be Very...I mean VERY careful with those tiny clips, They do not make replacements. And they break easily make sure you have a good plastic clip puller (plastic flat too with a small ledge at the end) 

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Curumin said:

Hello!

I have the same problem. updated m18x r1 to r2 and put the processor 2920xm I receive 7 signals. If I put  i7-3520M is turned on and working. Help, what is the reason?

Do you put a R2 MB into a R1?

I don't the exact difference between both Boards, but the R1 is for second gen cpu's (2xxx) and the r2 is for third gen cpu's (3xxx). So that's the reason.

17 minutes ago, Zoldago said:

Do you put a R2 MB into a R1?

I don't the exact difference between both Boards, but the R1 is for second gen cpu's (2xxx) and the r2 is for third gen cpu's (3xxx). So that's the reason.

Yes, 

And updated bios to A11 unlock. Many people says that this processor can run on R2.