New ASUS 950-2G works with PCIe power connector

BoGyesz

ASUS unveiled last month the 950-2G and Mini 950-2G, and both need only 75W and work without power supply.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that basically means I can use the AKiTiO Thunder2 without extra PSU.

Which card would you recommend? The Mini size?

source:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3043493/hardware/asus-reveals-two-tiny-unique-gtx-950-graphics-cards-that-dont-need-extra-power.html

You would still need a better PSU, e.g. a 120W 12V PSU. But even people with a 750Ti and that 120W PSU have stability issues. To be safe and guarantee the stability even with peak loads I would recommend an even more powerful PSU. Unfortunately 120W is the biggest PSU with a barrel plug and all the other PSUs will need an adapter.

Bottomline: Might work with a 120W PSU, but I'm sure you will have to underclock the card to make it stable.

• Thumbs Up 1

The AKiTiO stock PSU offers (I think) 60W and some of the power is needed for the AKiTiO itself. Taking into account that the PSU will have a "bad" efficiency, I am sure that you can't even provide 60W for long period of time.

So a GTX950 will NOT work with a AKiTiO out of the box. But because we know the specs/dimensions of the plug (barrel plug 2.5 and 5.5mm) we can look around for other PSUs.

The alternative PSU only has to match the plug and provide 12V.

A lot of people are using the Dell DA-2 220W and created adapters to provide power to the GPU and the AKiTiO simultaneously.

Thanks for the info. I hoped there's an out of the box solution because all the DIY guides on this forum require a special hack or a custom made part that can't be bought in Australia. 

Try and find a Dell DA-2 220W on eBay, they should be quite cheap.

With that you would need a 6-Pin PCIe extension and a barrel plug to solder or with screw terminal.

(The 6-Pin PCIe extension is just a cheap adapter you can cut and rewire to make the propper connection to the barrel plug)

Edited by Dschijn