14" Lenovo T430 + HD6850@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC V8) + Win7 [andrei.tuduran]

Hi all,

First of all I would like to take a moment and write my history with this experience. Last year I had a Dell Precision M4500 (i7-720QM and nVidia Quadro FX880M) which it had to be my eGPU machine. But using FL Studio alot, the cpu didn't kept the pace so I had to make a change. My research got to my Thinkpad T430 because Ivy Bridge platform can get you up to 90% of peak performance of your eGPU solution. When I had my Dell M4500, I have ordered the EXP GDC V8 Expresscard solution at a pretty fair and decent price (Christmas sales) from Banggood. Shipping to Romania was quite long, almost 2 months. In the meantime bought from a local guy, a Dell DA-2 220W power adapter which I heard it is plug'n'play. After arrival, I found out that I don't have the PCI-E power adapter for the graphic card, in my case a Gigabyte Radeon 6850 OC 1GB. That's the only card I have so, I was aware that I might need a display monitor. After another months of searching, found out on Banggood the holy PCI-E adapter specialy for EXP GDC solution. To be assured , bought 2 cables (just in case :P ) because the shipping was 1 month and 2 weeks (long, I know!). Well, last night I was dying to fire it up, so I put my Panasonic TV ( don't have a display monitor, lame, I know...) and put all cables and adapters together, the expresscard in T430 and fire it.

My specs :

i7-3610QM, 16GB HyperX Impact CL9, 1600x900, Intel HD4000 iGPU, Windows 7 64bit.

After Windows loaded, my Radeon 6850 was found in Device Manager but I got the famous "Code 12" error. The device cannot start because it does not have enough resources.

After 5 minutes of google-ing I found my solution!

Solution : Shutdown your T430, put the expresscard in the laptop and the most important thing, DISCONNECT the display monitor from the graphic card. Start you laptop and let Windows load. The magic will happen, your graphic card starts with no errors. After that, install the drivers from AMD website. I have installed the Crimson drivers.

Connect the monitor to the graphic card and voila! , you have a fully working eGPU solution on your Thinkpad T430.

Still didn't found a solution for the following issue.

In device manager, I had the Radeon 6850 and Intel HD 4000. When I started my Steam or Origin games, the main GPU was Intel HD 4000. My quick solution was to disable from device manager, the Intel HD 4000 iGPU. Maybe someone found a solution to install AMD Enduro (Switchable graphics) like Nvidia Optimus?

I will post later this day, some pics with my tests.

So far I have tested Furmark and i got 35 FPS. Battlefield 3 on ultra setting at 1280x720 (the maximum resolution of my TV) runs flawess. GTA V needs more tweaking. My i7-3610QM cpu got maximum temp of 80 degrees C in games.

Edit1 :

Here are some pictures of my setup including the docking station (is the 170W version with USB 3.)

http://imgur.com/a/DpV6t

So, this is all about till now.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by andrei.tuduran
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 14" Lenovo T430 + HD6850@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC V8) + Win7 [andrei.tuduran]