2011 Early MBP 13' 750ti randomly restart issue

Xaularis

I got a akitio thunder 2 attached to the MBP using included thunderbolt cable. 750ti is used with the akitio thunder 2. Everything works fine until... it restart itself randomly. Sometimes while I was playing a game. sometimes while I using Xcode or other things.

Both of the os x and Windows 10 got almost the same symptom. Windows 10 give the driver stop working and has recovered, but the osx give the double restart every time.

I used 120 watt psu which can connect to the akitio thunder 2 directly.

Anyone got any idea ?

Many thanks.

Edited by Xaularis

Try and lower the power limit clock speed in Windows with EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner.

Maybe even the 120W PSU is at its limit with the 750Ti. The card doesn't have any 6-Pin PCIe power plugs on it, right?!

10 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Try and lower the power limit clock speed in Windows with EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner.

Maybe even the 120W PSU is at its limit with the 750Ti. The card doesn't have any 6-Pin PCIe power plugs on it, right?!

No, there is no 6 pin power plug there.

Is there solution for OSX ?

Unfortunately not an easy one.

You can try to test the stability with lower power settings in Windows. If you have them you could use that to create a new GPU BIOS and flash that to the card in a normal PC.

But please try to find that settigns in Windows. Just to make sure, that it really is a power issue.

I have two 2011 macbook pros and have two different akitio2 setups and I started to face the same problem with all different configurations. Egpu randomly restarts the machine or sometimes I return to win10 desktop with a gpu driver error message. I am cross testing two akitios currently but interestingly issue occurs randomly. I have run 2 hour stress tests and they haven't failed but when I play games or do graphical rendering, sometimes it instantly restarts but sometimes it takes several hours before any error. Comparing to several months before (I was using them without any issue) I have updated to latest win10 and using nvdia 364.

My scenarios: 

• Electric consumption exceeds power supply - I have one 750 ti and one 970 oc. Both have 220 watt da2 and 4x 4700mf capacitors. 750 ti does not have additional power socket. 970 not used to have any electric issues, during stress tests gpu runs at 94% full performance for the duration of the test (no issue recorded). During heaven benchmarks no issue occurred as well.I am testing with 57% less performance.
  • CPU heat restarts macbook - I see temp tops 100 degrees occasionally. Lowering GPU performance reduces overall cpu heat as well. (CPU temp is my second best bet, couldn't reduce it much)
  • Video Driver Failure - This is my best bet, I will downgrade to older drivers to test. I used to work fine with nvidia 350 - 359 series drivers. 
  • GPU Cooling- Not an issue for my setups. Both run at max at 60 degrees.
  • Dell da2 socket - I am using 8 pin socket which is soldered to akitio's board. Maybe some of the pins moved back (I assume not).
  • Cabling - No any issue 
Edited by toxec

I tried to change the driver to the old version (around 343.01.02) which cannot be used due to the version changed.

But, I cannot try lower the frequency because I don't have the windows for lowering the gpu freq.

Edited by Xaularis
wrong version

I've tried flashing the new bios, lower the freq down to 1020 core and 1080 boost, which is around the oem clock, still get the kernel panic.

Do you have any idea ?

Btw, I tried firestrike 2 times, and got no restart.

Edited by Xaularis
Forgot to quote