DELL E6430 + GT 730 + EXP GDC - stability issue

Orson

Hi all.

The whole set is working fine, right now I'm going to buy GTX 750 Ti but one thing irritates me a lot - "Nvidia Driver stopped responding" error. I am getting this glitch every few minutes, but only when surfing internet, watch movies, etc, games run smoothly (I mean with no errors, GT 730 does not let to play smoothly :P ). Usually it gets right by itself but sometimes I have to restart my TV or even hard reset the notebook.  While gaming, stability is fine and I get no errors whatsoever. What causes such glitches?

I noticed, that it happens every time  I plug something off from the socket bar. I could point to small voltage peaks influencing a shitty EXP GDC electronics  but I am not entirely sure. Even when I don't touch the bar I keep getting this error every now and then. 

I have a system with the same misery and tried with exp gdc and pe4c adapters and both failed time-time when plugged in another charger in the same room, so its probably not the adapter. Same thing, in 2d so much more driver crashes, in 3d just sometimes. I think thats some misery where 1 system plugged in with 2 wires to the electricity network because all the parts working fine in the same room with a traditional desktop system(psu+gpu). So my next step is to power the notebook with the same psu (12-20volt dcdc converter), its worth 3 bucks for sience.

I'm not sure I'm following - You want to use one power supply for both notebook and eGPU adapter?

What PSU do You use? Mine is classic 220W dell.

Edited by Orson

• 2 weeks later...

Funny part is running dota2 in the background(windowed with engine_no_focus_sleep "0") while browsing almost ~100% solves this issue. Btw i'm still waiting for the converter, but i can confirm running from battery without the charger helps nothing... So we need some electrician expert here who has idea what is going on. Usually when these crashes happen the gpu fans stops spinnig(system freezes) but sometimes just black screen and freeze or black screen and music continues.

Usually when these crashes happen the gpu fans stops spinnig(system freezes) but sometimes just black screen and freeze or black screen and music continues.

In my case, the fan starts to run widely and then slows down. And yes, music/sound is untouched. Anyway - maybe it's caused by optimus?  Ever tried to disable it? I'm afraid I don't have such option in my Dell.

4 hours ago, Orson said:

In my case, the fan starts to run widely and then slows down. And yes, music/sound is untouched. Anyway - maybe it's caused by optimus?  Ever tried to disable it? I'm afraid I don't have such option in my Dell.

I'm using a radeon card and my dgpu (gt550m) is disabled so i don't think so.

dc-dc converter arrived and the same shit happens, its not that sensitive now at least but still crashes. Plugging in a random 120w notebook charger still kills it almost all the time. 

Edited by Doink

• 4 weeks later...

Update: i just put the atx psu as far as possible from the egpu and it solved the problem so there is some interference happening between those guys. Probably a metal case could shield them but i don't care enough to start building cases.

egpu2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.